Jumping into a semi-custom rifle build

I picked up a 1994/1995 H series (Japanese produced) Weatherby Mark V (9 lug bolt) a while back for a good price. I'm going to hunt with it this fall in its current configuration (.270 win), but after that I intend on turning it into a semi-custom gun.

Below are the modifications I want to make. I welcome any feedback or suggestions.
  1. Re-barrel and re-chamber to .280ai
    • Length: 24"
    • Profile: #3 or #4 contour, fluted
    • Rifling: 5 groove
    • Twist: 1:8"
    • I don't really care for the carbon wrapped barrels, so I'll probably stick with an all steel barrel
      • Looking at Pac-nor now and would likely have them fit the barrel to my receiver. I'm open to suggestions here.
  2. Rifle Stock Options
    • I want to go with a carbon fiber stock, but I'm concerned the inletting on today's carbon fiber stocks will not match that needed for an older Mk V action, trigger, and bottom metal.
    • Looking at the Mk V offerings from AG Composites right now.
  3. Trigger
    • Looking at Trigger Tech's Mk V options.

Re-chambering to .280ai is pretty much set in stone. I'm flexible on the other pieces of the build.

For what you could probably get for your mk5, and what it'll cost you to customize it, you're going to be much better off selling and just starting with a custom action.

You can have shouldered prefit barrels made for Defiance, Lone peak, and other actions which will simplify things and reduce cost.
Also there are a gazillion aftermarket options for stalks, triggers, etc.
For a stalk I'd look at McMillan or Allterra Arms

Only suggestion I would make is be careful when you hunt with it if you plan to change it.... you might fall in love

I did this with a 270 donor rifle/action. Had giant plans to make it into the next whiz bang super carbon ultra magnum 2500 yd "if i do my part" rifle but took it out for one season. That turned into two, then three, then... I can't remember. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't dislike the 270 and the fact that it shoots tiny little groups only made it harder. Now it's become my favorite rifle... bone stock and has fed my family more elk and venison suppers than I can count.

You probably don't wanna spend the coin to make it ultralite but you can cut weight in a number of areas. Literally no expense was spared in an attempt to make this AR-10 (.308 Winchester) both as ultra-light as possible but also to ensure complete reliability. No cheesy plastic triggers or undependable buffer systems - just the best of everything.

Starting with a Xanthos-Lite receiver set from 2A Arms, the build includes an 18" fluted carbon-wrapped barrel from BSF, a titanium adjustable BCG from 2A Arms, 12" Smoke Composites hand guard, Smoke Composites closed butt stock "enhanced" with Limbsaver pad, Smoke Composites cheek piece riser, M-Lok finger stop with QD swivel connection on hand guard and M-Lok QD connect on butt, and includes both a Smoke Composites ultra-light pistol grip and the California compliant grip. Single stage AR-10 competition trigger from Timney is the go switch. Hollow Ti pins from 2A Arms, V Seven weapon systems- TI pins, castle nut, Light weight Bolt catch, ultralite Mag catch, light weight selector, and two Lancer 10-round mags round out the build. Fired to test functionality by the builder/armorer. Tested with Barnes 150-grain TTSX ammo and BCG adjusted to run like a sewing machine. As it sits right now it weighs 5# 15.8 ounces. I could have had it about 10 ounces lighter but that would have required no cheek piece riser (how can you achieve cheek weld without one?), an open un-padded butt stock and a less-dependable buffer system. Another 1.4 ounces could have been saved by using a 16" pencil profile barrel instead of the 18" BSF large diameter carbon-wrapped barrel, and finally another 2 ounces could have been saved by using a different shorter and slightly lighter but less operationally friendly hand guard. So it's possible to have the bare weight down to around 5#, but the add-ons on this rifle were a good tradeoff in my opinion. And yes, the gun looks nicer with the regular Smoke Composites ultra-light pistol grip but when you're a subject in the People's republik of Commiefornistan, you do whatcha hafta.ar10-2.jpgar10-3.jpg