Jumping rope

Headed on first elk hunt this year and as a stamina builder and leg work out I have been jumping rope. Anybody else tried it and found better results doing something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Unless you’re just off the couch and building baseline fitness, unfortunately, jumping rope isn’t going to benefit your hunting much. Beyond those off the couch gains, jumping rope is really only going to make you better at/condition you for jumping rope. You’d be better off spending that time rucking.

Though anything is better than nothing, conditioning tends to be very specific: running conditions you for running, biking conditions you for biking, jumping rope conditions you for jumping rope. The exception is if you are an absolute untrained novice, in which case you’ll see some across the board benefit for a short period of time. If you sit in your ass and then jumped rope 3x a week for 2 weeks before your hunt, you’d be better off than you were sitting on the couch, but since you have at least 2 months, put that pack on and hike up and down some hills and train the actual thing you intend to do, unless of course you’re going to jump rope up the mountain.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can learn double unders, two passes of the rope with one jump, I think double unders have their place in fitness. Not as a stand alone, but as part of your regiment.

OP
B
Well problem is I live where it is flat. Excluding an occasional ditch elevation will only change 2-5 feet over a few thousand acres. And I know this because of the wmas I hunt and I also farm for a living so I know a bit about my ground. I do put on a pack and walk run a mile or two every chance I get. But don’t always have the time to do so

Alvie

FNG
I like the idea of jumping rope especially including it in a regiment, reason I don’t I have runners knee in my left knee and it flares up when jump rope

TreyPound

FNG
Your exercise routine sounds really good. One thing I make a point to do is ( if you can) I go elk scouting during the months before season, this helps my body get use to the elevation and terrain, I also bike or run to get in shape, but there is nothing like hiking up and down steep hills at high elevations.

Poser

WKR
Well problem is I live where it is flat. Excluding an occasional ditch elevation will only change 2-5 feet over a few thousand acres. And I know this because of the wmas I hunt and I also farm for a living so I know a bit about my ground. I do put on a pack and walk run a mile or two every chance I get. But don’t always have the time to do so

Have access to a stadium or the stairwell of a building with at least a few floors?

OP
B
Have access to a stadium or the stairwell of a building with at least a few floors?

Kinda back to time allotment with my crazy work schedule. But I will try and find access to some.

Poser

WKR
Kinda back to time allotment with my crazy work schedule. But I will try and find access to some.

As a mind numbingly boring alternative that probably takes a high degree of discipline to do for more than 15 minutes, find a box and do step ups and step downs.

OP
B
As a mind numbingly boring alternative that probably takes a high degree of discipline to do for more than 15 minutes, find a box and do step ups and step downs.

Yea I tried that. Got really bored really fast. I do a lot of box jumps though

I jump rope as an activation exercise and warm up before strength training and as part of Muay Thai training. I really like Crossrope's jump rope systems https://www.crossrope.com/

My pre lift jumping is just 5rds of 50 sec on/10 sec off with a 1/4lb rope
My Muay Thai routine is 4 rds, 5 min each
Rd 1 - 5min straight with 1/4# rope
Rd 2 - 5rds of 50 on/10 off with 1/2# rope
Rd 3 - 5rds of 30 on/30 off with 1# rope
Rd 4 - 5rds of 20 on/40 off with 2# rope

Unless you’re just off the couch and building baseline fitness, unfortunately, jumping rope isn’t going to benefit your hunting much. Beyond those off the couch gains, jumping rope is really only going to make you better at/condition you for jumping rope. You’d be better off spending that time rucking.

Though anything is better than nothing, conditioning tends to be very specific: running conditions you for running, biking conditions you for biking, jumping rope conditions you for jumping rope. The exception is if you are an absolute untrained novice, in which case you’ll see some across the board benefit for a short period of time. If you sit in your ass and then jumped rope 3x a week for 2 weeks before your hunt, you’d be better off than you were sitting on the couch, but since you have at least 2 months, put that pack on and hike up and down some hills and train the actual thing you intend to do, unless of course you’re going to jump rope up the mountain.

I don’t know where this specifics information came from, but it’s simply not true. All fighters have running as part of their camp. They’re not running in the octagon. With this logic, weight lifting in general would be useless. Boxers and wrestlers jump rope. Are they all just waiting their time?

OP
B
I started doing high knees after warm up and 30 seconds in I am sweating. So I know it’s doing some good

Poser

WKR
I don’t know where this specifics information came from, but it’s simply not true. All fighters have running as part of their camp. They’re not running in the octagon. With this logic, weight lifting in general would be useless. Boxers and wrestlers jump rope. Are they all just waiting their time?

There is literally a metric ton of research on this matter and it’s been discussed on this forum many times.

Strength training, since you referenced it, is a general adaptation, but it tends to be the only aspect of fitness that is general.

In the case of conditioning for boxing, jumping rope tends to closely mimic the jumping around the ring, but, likely more importantly, it’s developing/ honing the necessary footwork skill set and coordination. A good boxer has great footwork. That being said, boxers spend a lot of time boxing: bags, drills, skill work, sparring etc and that’s where the direct conditioning comes into play.

Think about it this way: competitive runners spend the vast majority of the conditioning program running, right? Rowers row. Cyclists cycle. You don’t show up to the Tour De France having trained by jumping rope. A triathlete can’t appropriate train for a triathlon by only conditioning one of the three disciplines. Why? Because conditioning is specific. You want to be a competitive triathlete and you’ll have to condition specifically for running, swimming and cycling. Distance Running for that matter is comparatively a low skill sport and yet An experienced triathlete with years of training volume still has to train for running despite spending hours on a bike and in the pool. Why is that? Because it is a specific adaptation.

If you like jumping rope, then jump rope. It can certainly be used as a means of burning calories (which, fighting/boxing being weight class sports may also require burning calories beyond their direct training in order to achieve weight class benchmarks), but the OP asked about jumping rope as it relates to rucking. I’m not trying to be argumentative as I kind of hate arguing about fitness related topics, especially give the fact that there is such a wealth of research on the topic . I’m merely trying to provide the advice that if the OP wants to be in shape for rucking, he is going to need to ruck. Sure, jumping rope is better than nothing, and it’s not going to hurt anything to jump rope in addition to rucking, especially if he desire to lose some weight, but it’s no more going to directly prepare him to ruck up and down the mountains then it is going to prepare a cyclists to cycle, a swimmer to swim, a rower to row, or a ski mountaineer to ski. Jumping rope is certainly something but it’s not a conditioning substitute unless you’re going to be actually jumping rope and need the specific conditioning.

NstihL

FNG
If you can't find a place to hike with a pack, I'd recommend running and then doing walking lunges with a pack after the run. You'll get cardiovascular benefits from running and strength benefits from the lunges. This is what I do when I'm tight on time; I can run 2 miles and then do 3 sets of 20 lunges in about 20 minutes.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also a flatlander, after the hunt last year I decided to do something about it and changed gym memberships to a place that has a stairclimber. I went back to the same mountain I was on last hunting season 2 weeks ago, and can tell you that climbing the stairclimber with a loaded pack makes a huge difference compared to lifting weights and running

I'm also a flatlander, after the hunt last year I decided to do something about it and changed gym memberships to a place that has a stairclimber. I went back to the same mountain I was on last hunting season 2 weeks ago, and can tell you that climbing the stairclimber with a loaded pack makes a huge difference compared to lifting weights and running

Nothing beats training specificity once you have a base level of fitness. If your gonna walk up and down hills/mtns with a loaded pack then your training needs to approximate that as closely as possible.
**Strong Core/back/legs

Dragging something behind you like a tire/sled/plate will also help build your posterior chain if you cant get access to a sloped treadmill or stair climber.

Also, nothing gives me planar fasciitis quicker than double-unders.

OP
B
Local hotels will usually have three flights.

I’m 15 miles from nearest gas station. And have 2 unused stop signs where I live. Not much local around me other than fields. But I got an 18 wheeler tire at home I plan on pulling around to train with

Carr5vols

WKR
I’m 15 miles from nearest gas station. And have 2 unused stop signs where I live. Not much local around me other than fields. But I got an 18 wheeler tire at home I plan on pulling around to train with

You can also get a tractor tire and use it for weighted step ups I have one for that off a skidder. And you can also flip it for overall body workout.