Jumping ship from OnX to Gaia

wapitibob

WKR
Probably just looking at the app and not on the web side, which is understandable. The web portion of these apps are OK but it's hard to beat the data types and organization you can use with GE Pro.

4.jpg

Last edited:

BaseMap

That is STILL Iphone only functionality? SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!!!!

The amount of money that we need to pay to have Google Earth integrated makes it cost prohibitive at this time. If you click on a waypoint, there is a way to move that waypoint to Google Earth and have 3D on android. It just requires an extra step compared to an iPhone.

BaseMap

More information is useless if it's unavailable 5 miles in with no cell reception.

BaseMap has offline mapping just like onX. In fact, with BaseMap you can download larger offline grids and have more layers of info. So it isn't useless 5 miles in. The only thing is, download the offline maps at home with WIFI as the files are large.

renagde

WKR
BaseMap has offline mapping just like onX. In fact, with BaseMap you can download larger offline grids and have more layers of info. So it isn't useless 5 miles in. The only thing is, download the offline maps at home with WIFI as the files are large.

Yes, only Onx actually works properly. I downloaded mine and although they worked fine for me at home, they didn't do squat when I was actually hunting. Zoomed way out it seemed to be loaded but as soon as you zoomed in it was just black.

BaseMap

Yes, only Onx actually works properly. I downloaded mine and although they worked fine for me at home, they didn't do squat when I was actually hunting. Zoomed way out it seemed to be loaded but as soon as you zoomed in it was just black.

How long ago was it that you tried our offline maps? We have had an update that fixed some bugs/issues.

tikka270

FNG
Has anyone used Gaia or something else they'd recommend in Canada? We are struggling up here or a good service. OnX told me they are focusing on the US and not going to add features for Canada.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried Gala but basemaps was a total waist of time in my opinion. I ended up with onx last year in a pinch and have just kinda accepted it. May be time to do some shopping around and compare all of them minus basemaps because I already know it sucks

BaseMap

I haven't tried Gala but basemaps was a total waist of time in my opinion. I ended up with onx last year in a pinch and have just kinda accepted it. May be time to do some shopping around and compare all of them minus basemaps because I already know it sucks

What are the issues you had with BaseMap? We would like your feedback. Please email us at [email protected]

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The difference of opinions on here is interesting. Used all three, I much prefer BaseMap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Ive only used OnX and Gaia, I like Gaia and will stick with it but sounds like basemaps is improving, Gaia allows for users to add their own mapping as well, I have GE on it thanks this sight.

Why can’t basemaps allow custom layer imports like Gaia does to get around licensing?

MCSO1357

FNG
Thanks for the info, was strongly considering OnX but balked at the price point because I hunt at least 3 states. Who the hell needs all 50, so that cost didn’t seem justifiable in my mind.

BaseMap

Ive only used OnX and Gaia, I like Gaia and will stick with it but sounds like basemaps is improving, Gaia allows for users to add their own mapping as well, I have GE on it thanks this sight.

Why can’t basemaps allow custom layer imports like Gaia does to get around licensing?

To get around what licensing? We develop our own layers for the app.

tdhanses

WKR
To get around what licensing? We develop our own layers for the app.

You said GE was expensive to license, Gaia allows its users to import maps or their own layers into their system on top of what they offer, so users can add GE as a layer on their own.

BaseMap

You said GE was expensive to license, Gaia allows its users to import maps or their own layers into their system on top of what they offer, so users can add GE as a layer on their own.

We have GE, just not integrated into the app. You can make a few clicks and be taken to GE from the app. Most of our users are iOS based and already have integrated 3D.

tdhanses

WKR
We have GE, just not integrated into the app. You can make a few clicks and be taken to GE from the app. Most of our users are iOS based and already have integrated 3D.

I may have to check out BaseMap more, the integrated 3D sounds pretty cool and I have iOS.