Jumping ship from OnX to Gaia

pdxflung

FNG
I've got Google Earth Imagery loading within Gaia for everyone mentioning imagery quality. You do need to set it up as a custom source though as they don't offer it "out of the box". Honestly though, the increase in quality doesn't matter to me when I'm in the field, I generally use Google Earth when I need that level of detail.

For everyone saying "They've got me with all my saved Waypoints" - Just export them as a KML, then you can view them in Google Earth, upload to a Garmin, and upload back into another platform like Gaia.

If you really want to nerd out - you can get a CalTopo subscription that adds all of their layers (topo, etc) to Google Earth, do all your "desk scouting" and waypoint management there, and then load stuff back into whichever program you're using.

^^^^ This. (mostly what I do)

have used onx since the card days, but rely on caltopo and GAIA now. been very happy with GAIA, especially all the improvements that last year.

TripleAAA

FNG
I used Gaia in Alaska last year to run one of the rivers up north. It worked great. Taking pictures in the app is nice too. It tags the picture on the map. Helps for scouting I think. It does what I need.
I will have to give Gaia a try. I have never used it. Only OnX Thanks for the info.

BrentH

WKR
I have been using OnX for the last 3 years. Decided to try out the BaseMap pro subscription the other day. So far the imagery on BaseMap is about 1.5-2 years old (looking at my house), which is probably a function of google more than anything. OnX imagery is even older. BaseMap imagery is better overall. Also, BaseMap has more current landowner info. Lots of other features I like more on OnX though, like trail slope/mileage, being able to mix colors and icons for waypoint markers (and many more icons to choose from), also like how OnX shows different symbols for points of interest, where BaseMap shows them all as green triangles. If I am missing these features somewhere in BaseMap, I’d love to hear it, especially since they are claiming they provide more info. Not sold on which one I’ll keep at this point.

jofes

WKR
I just switched from ONX to Gaia and walked 26 miles around a small town here in ks, the track followed me all the way but read 50 miles when I got home, every block or so the gps would jump to the highest buidling or central area of the block and threw everything off and then come back to where i was 10 steps farther along. Maybe its my phone but is sucked to not have exact numbers. On an android A10E

corncob

WKR
I just switched from ONX to Gaia and walked 26 miles around a small town here in ks, the track followed me all the way but read 50 miles when I got home, every block or so the gps would jump to the highest buidling or central area of the block and threw everything off and then come back to where i was 10 steps farther along. Maybe its my phone but is sucked to not have exact numbers. On an android A10E

I’m pretty sure that has to do with your phone’s gps radio/sensor, not the actual app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corncob

WKR
I have been using OnX for the last 3 years. Decided to try out the BaseMap pro subscription the other day. So far the imagery on BaseMap is about 1.5-2 years old (looking at my house), which is probably a function of google more than anything. OnX imagery is even older. BaseMap imagery is better overall. Also, BaseMap has more current landowner info. Lots of other features I like more on OnX though, like trail slope/mileage, being able to mix colors and icons for waypoint markers (and many more icons to choose from), also like how OnX shows different symbols for points of interest, where BaseMap shows them all as green triangles. If I am missing these features somewhere in BaseMap, I’d love to hear it, especially since they are claiming they provide more info. Not sold on which one I’ll keep at this point.

Based on the features you’re using, I would give Gaia a try if you haven’t before. You can add Google sat imagery so it’s recent, and you can have a ton of different colored waypoints using colored icons or other descriptive icons (tower/camera,water,tracks, etc). You can also take pics and it’s shows their location on the map.

I use the slope angle shading layer a lot to look at slope along my route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any option for overlaying property ownership on Google Earth?

That is the only thing I haven't seen that I've wanted myself. Haven't spent a ton of time though...
I've downloaded the land ownership layer for local countries from the county GIS/tax site as a shapefile and imported it into Google Earth. You'd need to update it to keep it current.

tracker12

WKR
I have been totally happy with OnX hunt and $99 is a drop in the bucket compared to what i spend on other hunting items. There navigation has gotten very good. I dumped the others a few years ago and see no reason to go back. OnX off line downloads are now Quick as can be

bdg848

WKR
I have Basemap as well. Never use it. Waaaay too slow. They do have better satellite imagery but that is it.
Agree with basemap being slow. This year in South Dakota the guys in my group got tired of waiting on my basemap app to load and just pulled up the fish and game website and used the provided ArcGIS lol. After two days of that I just quit using basemap completely and used the fish and game website too haha.

I used Gaia last year and the offgrid maps were so slow!
Onx was better but not great!

FWIW: using new iphone.

I have been totally happy with OnX hunt and $99 is a drop in the bucket compared to what i spend on other hunting items. There navigation has gotten very good. I dumped the others a few years ago and see no reason to go back. OnX off line downloads are now Quick as can be
They are lightening fast. Agree.

When using off grid maps in the filed, no reception, do your maps load slow? Wondering if this is normal. Always been an issue for me even with a new iphone.

Brendan

WKR
Every phone I've used Gaia on has been fantastic. Both iPhone and Android currently.

I get frustrated every time I go back to OnX.

I'd pay double to use Gaia instead of Onx, but it's 40% the cost...

sasquatch

WKR
ONX would be great if it wouldn’t close out the app Everytime it’s in your pocket, delaying you when you wanna open it up.

Gaia never does this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brendan

WKR

When using off grid maps in the filed, no reception, do your maps load slow? Wondering if this is normal. Always been an issue for me even with a new iphone.
No, not normal.

You download maps online, and then enable them to show. If I get everything I need downloaded, never had an issue.

tracker12

WKR
I have been totally happy with OnX hunt and $99 is a drop in the bucket compared to what o spend on other hunting items. There navigation has gotten very good. I dumped I dumped the others a few years ago and see no reason to go back. OnX off line downloads are now Vick as can

I really haven't noticed my offline maps loading slowly but I Neve paid that my attention. I am also using an iPhone