Jumping ship from OnX to Gaia

Interesting. I wonder why that is happening? Loads slow and is not very clear. Same happened with iPhone 10 and now my iPhone 12. I just figured that was normal.

Brendan

WKR
Interesting. I wonder why that is happening? Loads slow and is not very clear. Same happened with iPhone 10 and now my iPhone 12. I just figured that was normal.

Make sure you have the downloads completed online. 100% downloaded. I've had them pause before and not finish downloading without resuming. You also have to select the zoom level you want to download when you're picking the area. How much zoom and how much area is dependent on how much storage space your phone has.

Then to be sure your phone isn't using the network, put it in airplane mode.

To enable a download, you have to navigate to your saved items and "Show on Main Map"

Doing that I've never had an issue with any of the Android or iPhones I've used.

Yoder

WKR
Here's why I'm not switching to Gaia. Straight from their website. I threw up in my mouth a little:

Gaia GPS's Commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion​

Gaia GPS's mission revolves around helping people access the backcountry. We recognize that the outdoors has not historically been welcoming to everyone. We believe wild spaces belong to everyone, and we can and must do more to make the outdoors a more inclusive space.
We’re working to reflect and amplify the diversity of the outdoors at Gaia GPS. This means shaping a space with BIPOC, Queer, Trans, Gender Non-Conforming, and Disabled folks in mind, in our internal company culture, product, marketing content, and partnerships.

I don't care LGBTQ xyz4685. I've learned with age to judge by ones character not their identity.

I signed up based on other hunters' recommendations. Some of which may be LGBTQ xyx4685. I don't care. I have onX. Mostly happy with it. But I may be hunting MT this year. I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
Here's why I'm not switching to Gaia. Straight from their website. I threw up in my mouth a little:

Gaia GPS's mission revolves around helping people access the backcountry. We recognize that the outdoors has not historically been welcoming to everyone. We believe wild spaces belong to everyone, and we can and must do more to make the outdoors a more inclusive space.
We’re working to reflect and amplify the diversity of the outdoors at Gaia GPS. This means shaping a space with BIPOC, Queer, Trans, Gender Non-Conforming, and Disabled folks in mind, in our internal company culture, product, marketing content, and partnerships.
I feel bad for people that are so offended by how others choose to live their life despite it having absolutely no affect on their own. Though the irony is that they actually allow it to affect their lives by dictating their consumer choices, making them into internet trolls, etc.

Yoder

WKR
I feel bad for people that are so offended by how others choose to live their life despite it having absolutely no affect on their own. Though the irony is that they actually allow it to affect their lives by dictating their consumer choices, making them into internet trolls, etc.
I don't care how anyone lives their life. I'm not racist or any kind of phobic. I just don't support woke, marxist politics. It's not about diversity, inclusion or equality. All of those things are great. Do some research on this. Check out Jordan Peterson. He explains this better than I ever could.

Also your personal beliefs and values should always effect how you spend your money.

Yoder

WKR
Nothing quite like homophobes.
I'm not a homophobe. That's not what I'm talking about. It's all identity politics. Dividing people into groups based on race, gender and sexuality. That's racist and homophobic. These kinds of statements from companies are not about actual diversity. They are much more insidious. These are all marxist ideals. These are all just people. As long as they are good people I could care less what they look like or who they sleep with. As long as we keep separating people into groups, those groups will be used to divide us. I love equality of opportunity not equality of outcome.

This is what I'm talking about:

Last edited:
For a Track only waypoint when I try to edit I get the following message:

This waypoint belongs to a Track and cannot be edited.

I want to move the waypoint. Do I need to delete the waypoint and generate a new one?

Other than their product being crap, that would certainly make me drop them. I tried them and didn't like it at all. I have moved from OnX to Basemap and like caltopo for desktop use.