Jumping ship from OnX to Gaia

Once upon a time OnX offered a 5 state option when you paid for their premium service, which was pretty valuable as most of us tend to hunt a couple of different states. However, at some point a year or maybe two ago, that changed. Now, you have to pay for their "elite" membership($99 a year) to access all 50 states.

If I'm being honest, it seems like a total price gouge. How can Gaia offer the same service for 60% less - AND their app is much less clunky.

In any case, I took the plunge just now and canceled my OnX membership for Gaia. I already used Gaia to access topo maps, and to save maps on my phone(the only time I looked at OnX was to check property boundaries). Not only do they offer private boundaries, they also offer roadless areas, roadless/trailless areas, and a TON more stuff... and its for all 50 states, not just one for $40 a year.

Just figured I'd give some other folks a heads up - I know a lot of you are probably invested pretty deeply with waypoints and whatnot... but I just cant see paying a premium for a hunting centric service when an identical service is offered at less than half the price... thats $60 I can put towards gas, tags, etc.

I'll post up a review once I've used it for a season. Since I already used Gaia for topo maps on my phone, I feel like my entire hunting app usage just got a lot more streamlined. Should come in handy for my Montana spring bear hunt in May.

I used Gaia in Alaska last year to run one of the rivers up north. It worked great. Taking pictures in the app is nice too. It tags the picture on the map. Helps for scouting I think. It does what I need.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Made the switch last year. Gaia is top tier IMO.

OnX would be cheaper, if they didn’t provide free service to anyone that has a YouTube “hunting” channel or podcast.

Basemap and HuntStand are two other similar options to OnX that are even cheaper than them all And have the same functions. I’ve heard of a ton of guys switching to Basemap and being happy with it so I might check the premium membership out sometime.

I use OnX and get the yearly memberships when Camofire has them for $60 so it’s not that bad.

I’ve been a long time HuntStand user, but they are slowing degrading the free version features to the point where I need to purchase a license. Their premium version just isn’t quite as good as the others so after testing all of them, I switched to Gaia. It’s functionality is off the charts.

BaseMap was a close second.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Agreed, BaseMap has a lot of potential but it’s not quite there yet. I like using it to scout in 3D mode when it’s working, but that’s about it. Hoping they get picked up more and continue to improve.

Brendan

WKR
I've got Google Earth Imagery loading within Gaia for everyone mentioning imagery quality. You do need to set it up as a custom source though as they don't offer it "out of the box". Honestly though, the increase in quality doesn't matter to me when I'm in the field, I generally use Google Earth when I need that level of detail.

For everyone saying "They've got me with all my saved Waypoints" - Just export them as a KML, then you can view them in Google Earth, upload to a Garmin, and upload back into another platform like Gaia.

If you really want to nerd out - you can get a CalTopo subscription that adds all of their layers (topo, etc) to Google Earth, do all your "desk scouting" and waypoint management there, and then load stuff back into whichever program you're using.

Terrapin

WKR
I've got Google Earth Imagery loading within Gaia for everyone mentioning imagery quality. You do need to set it up as a custom source though as they don't offer it "out of the box". Honestly though, the increase in quality doesn't matter to me when I'm in the field, I generally use Google Earth when I need that level of detail.

For everyone saying "They've got me with all my saved Waypoints" - Just export them as a KML, then you can view them in Google Earth, upload to a Garmin, and upload back into another platform like Gaia.

If you really want to nerd out - you can get a CalTopo subscription that adds all of their layers (topo, etc) to Google Earth, do all your "desk scouting" and waypoint management there, and then load stuff back into whichever program you're using.

Is there any option for overlaying property ownership on Google Earth? That seems to be my most usual reason for having both GE and OnX running simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoytHntr4

WKR
I've been looking into changing over from Onx to Base map to save some money. Base map did a video showing how to export all your waypoints from Onx as KML files and then import them all over to Basemap. I need to play with Base map some more to make sure it has all the features and layers that I've been using with Onx before I make the switch

I have both. Much prefer Gaia! Always try to spread the word as I hate seeing people pay what they do for OnX....But OnX has the marketing/advertising game on wrap.

feanor

WKR
One thing to consider is how Onx and Gaia support the hunting community. Im not so sure Gaia would be leading on that front from Berkeley. For the record, Ive used both, and Gaia is less clunky and has more features, but I switched to Onx to support a hunting specific GPS brand.

OP
J
One thing to consider is how Onx and Gaia support the hunting community. Im not so sure Gaia would be leading on that front from Berkeley. For the record, Ive used both, and Gaia is less clunky and has more features, but I switched to Onx to support a hunting specific GPS brand.

While you might be right, I’m not paying over double just so I can support a hunting brand. At what point do we go from supporting the industry to filling someone’s pockets? Especially when the service is the same, and the hunting option is clunky in comparison.

It’s the same difference with a mom and pop shop - I’m okay paying more to support a small business, but I’m not paying over double. At least with a small business you typically get better service - with onX the app and online interface is so much worse. They should take the money they’re shaking out of people and get a better developer!

Brendan

WKR
While not hunting specific, they do target hunters and include hunting specific maps and overlays:

Brendan

WKR
Is there any option for overlaying property ownership on Google Earth? That seems to be my most usual reason for having both GE and OnX running simultaneously.

That is the only thing I haven't seen that I've wanted myself. Haven't spent a ton of time though seeing if there's a solution.

wapitibob

WKR
I have all three and gaia/basemap have a ways to go to get me to move away from onX for field use on my phone; $99 is nothing in the grand scheme of hunting expenses but you can add elite multi state on a monthly basis if you only hunt multiples once in a while. For e-scouting nobody can touch GE Pro especially when you add the old plat4GE, hma/tma gepdf's, and forest geotiff maps.

tdhanses

WKR

Well if Gaia were anti hunting they would have all the hunting layers and wiha for each state. Or advertise their product for hunting.