Jumping ship from OnX to Gaia

tdhanses

WKR
I switched to Gaia years ago and haven’t looked back, locked my pricing in at the $29.99 they used to charge for premium and as long as you don’t cancel no price increases have been passed along to current members.

Also in comparing my buddies onX to Gaia this year, his land owner info was pretty dated, showed who owned my property 2 owners ago vs Gaia being current. I used the Gaia land owner info this year to get access to private when I was antelope hunting.

What made me leave onX years ago was they didn’t have all landowner info in KS, their excuse was county info, yet Gaia had it.

Lookout85

FNG
Interesting insights. Thanks.

I have been using OnX for two seasons and am generally happy. However when I brought a problem to their attention (gaps in satellite photos for part of northern Wisconsin where I hunt) they were very nice but didn’t fix the problem. Still not correct 6 months later. Maybe time to look at Gaia or basemaps

tdhanses

WKR
Interesting insights. Thanks.

I have been using OnX for two seasons and am generally happy. However when I brought a problem to their attention (gaps in satellite photos for part of northern Wisconsin where I hunt) they were very nice but didn’t fix the problem. Still not correct 6 months later. Maybe time to look at Gaia or basemaps

You can add google earth to Gaia for free as well.

OP
J
I switched to Gaia years ago and haven’t looked back, locked my pricing in at the $29.99 they used to charge for premium and as long as you don’t cancel no price increases have been passed along to current members.

Also in comparing my buddies onX to Gaia this year, his land owner info was pretty dated, showed who owned my property 2 owners ago vs Gaia being current. I used the Gaia land owner info this year to get access to private when I was antelope hunting.

What made me leave onX years ago was they didn’t have all landowner info in KS, their excuse was county info, yet Gaia had it.

I believe the basemap guys said they haven't really updated the landowner information much in the past 10 years. Thats not really a knock for me though, I'm more interested in the boundaries than who actually owns the property.

muddydogs

WKR
Like you said, they’ve got me with all of my saved waypoints. Sort of the way Apple locks you in with multiple devices.
You can't export your way points, routes and track from Onx to a file? If not then Onx sure is putting the screws to there users.

wapitibob

WKR
You can't export your way points, routes and track from Onx to a file? If not then Onx sure is putting the screws to there users.

of course you can
How long has onX been in business and still people think you need cell service for these apps to work? That's the problem these companies are dealing with, a user base that's unable or unwilling to learn how to use the product.

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
of course you can
How long has onX been in business and still people think you need cell service for these apps to work? That's the problem these companies are dealing with, a user base that's unable or unwilling to learn how to use the product.
I was just wondering. There are what 3 posts in this thread from guys saying basically they don't want to leave Onx because of all there way points. I never fell for the Onx hype, used Earthmate app until there ownership maps started to fall apart then went to Gaia. When I made the switch I exported all my data then imported it to Gaia. I'm always exporting data from Gaia to import into the Garmin Explore app so I have backup data on my Garmin Instinct watch.

Jbehredt

WKR

Thanks for asking. Honestly had no idea it was possible. My computer literacy fell off rapidly in the early 2000s.

renagde

WKR
Can't say anything for Gaia as I haven't used that one yet but Basemap is nowhere near competing with Onx. I used Basemap this year and my brother used Onx and if it wasn't for his phone, I would have been pretty damn near helpless. Stupid app wouldn't load, maps I had downloaded wouldn't show up clear, the track function didn't work at all. It was pretty worthless. If I'm paying a couple grand for hunting equipment and $700 for a OTC tag, I don't care if I pay a little more for an app that actually works. "Better and more" features don't do didly if it don't work.

BaseMap

Like you said, they’ve got me with all of my saved waypoints. Sort of the way Apple locks you in with multiple devices.

BaseMap is 1/3 the price of onX for all 50 states and a lot more features. Plus, you can move all of your onX waypoints over to BaseMap. It takes less than 2 minutes on the computer.

BaseMap

That is the only thing I haven't seen that I've wanted myself. Haven't spent a ton of time though seeing if there's a solution.

If you have an iPhone and BaseMap, you get 3D mapping. It is much like Google Earth and shows all of the landowner information and other overlays.

BaseMap

While you might be right, I’m not paying over double just so I can support a hunting brand. At what point do we go from supporting the industry to filling someone’s pockets? Especially when the service is the same, and the hunting option is clunky in comparison.

It’s the same difference with a mom and pop shop - I’m okay paying more to support a small business, but I’m not paying over double. At least with a small business you typically get better service - with onX the app and online interface is so much worse. They should take the money they’re shaking out of people and get a better developer!

BaseMap is a hunting specific GPS brand and 1/3 the price of onx. We offer more information for a lot less money.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you have an iPhone and BaseMap, you get 3D mapping. It is much like Google Earth and shows all of the landowner information and other overlays.

That is STILL Iphone only functionality? SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!!!!

wapitibob

WKR
BaseMap is 1/3 the price of onX for all 50 states and a lot more features. Plus, you can move all of your onX waypoints over to BaseMap. It takes less than 2 minutes on the computer.

That 2 minute import turns into a 2 hour delete session if you want to remove items because you have to delete Basemap content one item at a time. I assume that'll get fixed eventually. All these apps have pluses and minuses, cost is the least of my concerns but obviously more important to others.

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
How are the Gaia Topo maps? The onX topos are almost unusable as they lack so much detail.
I find the Gaia topo maps just fine, there satellite topo is very handy plus I keep US topo loaded which is a USGS topo map with all the detail thats available.