Jumping ship from OnX to Gaia

wysongdog

WKR
After reading all the posts above I decided to give Gaia a try. Everything seems to work well. Only thing I noticed is in my sheep area Gaia didn't show all the trails. These are forest service trails. They showed about 1/4 of the actual trails in just one area that I'm fairly familiar with. This could definitely be a problem

pk_

WKR
Gaia is my go to. OnX has not been as reliable, even with downloaded maps.
Basemap Has nice aerial.

pk_

WKR
After reading all the posts above I decided to give Gaia a try. Everything seems to work well. Only thing I noticed is in my sheep area Gaia didn't show all the trails. These are forest service trails. They showed about 1/4 of the actual trails in just one area that I'm fairly familiar with. This could definitely be a problem
Are you using the trails layer? Or satellite with labels or what? Gaia has a ton of layers and a lot of them are garbage, just have to find the right few that work for your areas.

wysongdog

WKR
Are you using the trails layer? Or satellite with labels or what? Gaia has a ton of layers and a lot of them are garbage, just have to find the right few that work for your areas.

I'll have to double check as I'm just getting started playing with it. And I'm fairly familiar with the onX

I am super familiar with both platforms. I have used GAIA for many years. I have had onx for roughly 2 years. I have tested them both side by side and there are things I like for each platform. However, is it just me, or in the last 6 months, has ONX become terribly slow to load when not on a downloaded map? I have found it almost unusable on my desktop at home. THoughts? I have not seen the same slow performance from other platforms. I would assume ONX and the popularity they are getting has negatively effected their servers.

pk_

WKR
I'll have to double check as I'm just getting started playing with it. And I'm fairly familiar with the onX
Yea I just checked my app, the layer I use to show trails is called ‘NatGeo trails illustrated’. Hope this helps.

WoodDuck

FNG
I am super familiar with both platforms. I have used GAIA for many years. I have had onx for roughly 2 years. I have tested them both side by side and there are things I like for each platform. However, is it just me, or in the last 6 months, has ONX become terribly slow to load when not on a downloaded map? I have found it almost unusable on my desktop at home. THoughts? I have not seen the same slow performance from other platforms. I would assume ONX and the popularity they are getting has negatively effected their servers.

I noticed the same thing when they integrated the wind/weather info. It seems to load faster for me when switching to temperature data instead of wind. This is on an iPhone.

lemmerjj

FNG
I believe the basemap guys said they haven't really updated the landowner information much in the past 10 years. Thats not really a knock for me though, I'm more interested in the boundaries than who actually owns the property.
I agree. I use base map and onx. I use them more for boundaries in the field than landowner info. If you know where to look you can have current landowner info head of time.

Venom One

WKR
I used Gaia 3 yrs ago based on other's reviews and I personally had a terrible experience. I switched to OnX for the past 2 seasons and loved it. Camofire sells yearly OnX subscriptions for a single state for $17 which is hard to beat IMO.

Still trying to figure this all out. Any suggestions for someone using a Garmin as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Gaia, onX and BCN on my phone and use onX and BCN the most. Getting data out of BCN and into other programs seems to be the easiest for me, plus I can run my ArcGis data into BCN as well pretty easily. Marking and tagging pictures is easy as well in BCN. I haven't looked into BaseMap, but not certain it's going to do more than what I already have going. I won't renew onX if the price is that steep now, it's not worth that much.

I've used the free version of Gaia with good luck in the past ... Does Gaia have up-to-date hunt bounties/land ownership available?

I've used the free version of Gaia with good luck in the past ... Does Gaia have up-to-date hunt bounties/land ownership available?

yes. It’s a premium feature though. If you go to the website you’ll see a premium option.i believe you get every layer for the planet and every option. But that could be different now. I signed up early on so they may have changed a little.

I am really interested in spending more time this year between Gaia, garmins hunt maps for Inreach, and basecamp. I own Gaia for the next decade so I always have that as a control. But I’ve only used hunt maps a little bit. And because base camp really surprised me, I want to use it for this year and see if it can fully replace onx. Pricing wise it can, features wise it can, but the implementation of its features is something I don’t feel educated or experienced enough to speak on just yet.

OP
J
One of the things I hate about onX is the severe limitation of the option to download maps. I already used Gaia for topo maps which I liked better anyway. Especially when scouting a new area where I’m not sure if service is available I’ll load a HUGE area off Gaia which is easy to do and I have it available. With onX it’s a MASSIVE pain to load a huge area as you have to go through and select preset sizes and download and... it just could’ve been better designed.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I tested both and Gaia seemed way better than Onx to me so I went with Gaia. I never paid for Onx so I didn't have waypoints in it, but there has to be some way to export them. With any other gps or phone gps it is pretty simple so that shouldn't be a reason to make you keep using it. If Onx doesn't let you export that is another reason I would have never gone with it.

I have not been impressed by OnX personally. The offlien maps don't have the detail I need, and the map takes forever to load when I do have cell service. I may look at basemap next.

jmagnumw

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never even heard of Gaia I’ll have to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk