June Idaho DIY Bear Hunt Help, Please

Joe_81

FNG
Rokslide Community,

I’m planning a bear hunt in the first two weeks of June, 2021. The hunt will be a DIY archery backpack hunt. I was initially planning to do a hunt in Arizona (much shorter drive for me) but the heat is a deal breaker. Thus, my sights are currently set on Idaho.

I would like some help from those who know in selecting a unit. Below are some desires and initial thoughts and if you have any input, I’d love to have it.

My plan is to scout during the day and do some combination of glassing and calling in the mornings/evenings. Thus, I’d like to be able to get up high and glass some country that’s not too terribly thick. I don’t mind tough country physically, but I would like to be able to see. Obviously, bear density matters, so I’m looking for that as well. I also like the idea of a unit where other predator seasons (lion, wolf) overlap with bear.

Units 10/12 have the overlapping predator seasons but I’m concerned about thickness.

Unit 1 (Priest Lake area, maybe?) seems good for spot and stalk but I’m not wild about tromping around grizzly country.

Are there other units I should be thinking about?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:

crossone

FNG
Mostly stay towards the eastern half of the state anywhere north of Salmon. Units 17, 15, 12, 10, 10A, all have good bear numbers. You’re right about the thicker country being harder to hunt. I believe that’s right but the flip side is, the thicker county probably holds more bears and early spring grass, what they’re after in the spring, is going to be a big draw if you can find the right location. Only place better for bears would be units 20a, 26, and 27. That’s the Frank Church and it’s loaded with bears. There should be a bounty on them in there.

OP
J

Joe_81

FNG
Brother, thank you so much for the reply—I was starting to wonder I I’d get one. I’m grateful. I will do some research on those areas specifically and come back with more questions.

Mostly stay towards the eastern half of the state anywhere north of Salmon. Units 17, 15, 12, 10, 10A, all have good bear numbers. You’re right about the thicker country being harder to hunt. I believe that’s right but the flip side is, the thicker county probably holds more bears and early spring grass, what they’re after in the spring, is going to be a big draw if you can find the right location. Only place better for bears would be units 20a, 26, and 27. That’s the Frank Church and it’s loaded with bears. There should be a bounty on them in there.
I'm not super familiar with those areas, but it seems like access in the early spring would be a real challenge?

I'm not super familiar with those areas, but it seems like access in the early spring would be a real challenge?
Unless you fly in, the Middlefork zones (20a,26 27) are tough to get to until mid June. 20A probably has the best access for vehicle that early in the year.

BAKPAKR

WKR
If you are going to be hunting solo and plan on calling, I would avoid Unit 1. I have called in a few black bears and they have come in running. It would get pretty exciting if the bear that was running in expecting a meal was a grizzly.

Joryalan

FNG
Brother, thank you so much for the reply—I was starting to wonder I I’d get one. I’m grateful. I will do some research on those areas specifically and come back with more questions.
Hey man, did you ever get out there and do it?..