Just Announced - Leica Geovid Pro 8x32 & 10x32

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Why does my brain work the way it does… A set of these with 15x56 might just replace my spotting scope 🤔
Was thinking the same thing, small 8x32 rangefinding binos and a set of 12s or 15s, should cover anything I want to glass. Now wait for some reviews between the new gpo 8x32 rangeguide and these 8x32 liecas

Either way, I'm looking forward to hearing from all sides of this:

1) The Glass Guys: I want to hear from the nit pickers. The ones who will tell me how these are better or worse than the Noc
From a pure binocular perspective = being based on a Perger Porro-Prism design the view is subtlety different than other SP- Prism Leicas. I had just a few very quick sessions with them at the DSC show this past weekend. Not the best of conditions as it was under artificial light in a convention hall, but there was sufficient color, shadow and texture variation about to do some limited comparison. The good new was there was almost the entire Leica line right there to compare. G-PRO Resolution was very good, they are not flat-field but had a sufficiently wide sweet-spot and wide enough FOV to not feel at all restrictive. Depth of field was good and colors were typical Leica saturation. The most noticeable negative was brightness as they weren’t as bright as many other Leicas. But there are some compromises that must be made for internal displays and other components/functions. Based on these very brief observations I’d rate them as a pure binocular somewhere between the Trinovid and Ultravid HD+.

They also appeared very rugged and ready for the field. Most of the controls/buttons appeared to be laid out well except for the focuser - I really didn’t care for the position or the action.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My only concern is eye placement and black outs.

From my experience (8x32 ELs) the view was very good. The size was awesome. But the black outs bothered me. Eye placement was more critical than I liked. In the end, I couldn’t get over the black out issue and they went down the road in favor of my SLCs which are very forgiving.

Only way to know with these new Geovid Pros is to test and see.
i reviewed the zeiss 32s and have looked through the NLs, not a concern at all for me. might be different for individual users

OutdoorAg

WKR
Bump. Anyone put their eyes behind these?

Crazy that Leica hasn’t at least put pro staff demos out there for us regular folk to get some more content/reviews….

Trial153

WKR
They should do a version without the RF or with a simple RF option taht just does range / angle comp for archers.

HuntnPack

WKR
I was the first order, but it was for the 10x32. I called back a couple hours later and changed to the 8x32.
bpurtz, or others:
Just curious as to what is the benefit of 8x32 over 10x32, or vise/versa?

I’ll be ordering a pair of these.

Thx.

Trial153

WKR
For a lower price point? Doubt weight would be different.

Wasn’t really concerned with the price. Just seems like a lot of complicated things there that I don’t need.
I need binoculars and angle compensating range finder that’s it …

tdhanses

WKR
Wasn’t really concerned with the price. Just seems like a lot of complicated things there that I don’t need.
I need binoculars and angle compensating range finder that’s it …
I would think there is an option to turn most of it off. Just thinking of my geovids and after the yardage is displayed it’ll show clicks separately for a few seconds, it isn’t all displayed at the same time. Wonder if the manual is available, might help see what you can turn off or best way to make the display more simplistic. Also clicks only shown when released but not on scan mode.

All the ballistics and atmospheric data isn’t shown on the ranging button but if you press the menu button quickly then it’ll show that stuff.

After watching the video again i think all you want is the correct yardage displayed by itself, looks like it still does that without added clutter.

Last edited:

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Bump. Anyone put their eyes behind these?

Crazy that Leica hasn’t at least put pro staff demos out there for us regular folk to get some more content/reviews….
I plan to get behind some this Friday. I’ll let you know what I think. I may take the 7x42 for reference as it’s difficult compare binos without a reference. More to follow…

OutdoorAg

WKR
I plan to get behind some this Friday. I’ll let you know what I think. I may take the 7x42 for reference as it’s difficult compare binos without a reference. More to follow…
Awesome! Thank you. Would love to get your take on eye placement. Critical, forgiving, somewhere beteeen.

bpurtz

WKR
bpurtz, or others:
Just curious as to what is the benefit of 8x32 over 10x32, or vise/versa?

I’ll be ordering a pair of these.

Thx.

8x32 will have a wider fov and be brighter in low light.
tdhanses is correct.
8x32 has a 4mm exit pupil & 405' field of view at 1000 yards
10x32 has a 3.2mm exit pupil & 345' field of view at 1000 yards

I've been carrying either 8x32 or 8x42 binos and a separate range finder on my archery hunts.

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be interested to know if the O.D. of the eyecups on the 32's is the same as the full size open bridge Geovids?
handwerk,
I can check that for you. May I ask why you want to know? Is it a comfort thing? Just curious.

Im interested in everything about the geovid pros. However if the optical performance is not there I may spend my money on some noctos. I hope they have all the new stuff and the rep is able to answer technical questions with fact.

HuntnPack

WKR
tdhanses is correct.
8x32 has a 4mm exit pupil & 405' field of view at 1000 yards
10x32 has a 3.2mm exit pupil & 345' field of view at 1000 yards

I've been carrying either 8x32 or 8x42 binos and a separate range finder on my archery hunts.
Thank you for the response.
I did order the 8x32 the other day.

Definitely go with RRS Bino Cinch over bino hand for no other reason than the Bino cinch can live full time on the binos. The 'elite' cinch is rock solid (I don't have the polymer version, so can't speak to that).
Polymer is also rock solid

handwerk

WKR
Mhopper5, I would appreciate you finding out about the eyepiece O.D.
I currently use and am quite happy with the older Geovid HD-R closed bridge model.
I recently spent a lot of time with new HD-R 2700's and really like them but I like to bury the eyecups into my eye sockets and the newer Geovids, with the bigger O.D. eyepieces weren't comfortable at all for me. otherwise I would have kept them.

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Mhopper5, I would appreciate you finding out about the eyepiece O.D.
I currently use and am quite happy with the older Geovid HD-R closed bridge model.
I recently spent a lot of time with new HD-R 2700's and really like them but I like to bury the eyecups into my eye sockets and the newer Geovids, with the bigger O.D. eyepieces weren't comfortable at all for me. otherwise I would have kept them.
handwerk,
Just confirmed the eye cups on both the 8x and 10x are the same size (and interchangeable) with the HD-Rs. The Leica rep said that has been a common question lately.