Just ate my first Mountain House meal....

bsnedeker

WKR
I highly recommend Next Mile Meals. The food is delicious even if you aren't keto they are great... meatball marinara is hands down the best dehydrated meal I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

b_young

FNG
Adding chick fil a sauce to the MH chicken and rice makes it WAY better. Also, 140 calories per pack.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
I found that if you throw out the contents and eat the bag they are better.
Buy a cheap dehydrator and make your own. Better taste, portion control, calorie control and you can make what YOU like.

Poser

WKR
I had the worst gas after eating this and felt like i had to shit the entire day. Pretty much never eating backpacker pantry again.

I didn’t like backpacker pantry meals much either after trying a couple on a Traci back in 2014. I’ve been sticking steadily with Heather’s Choice, Next Mile Meals and Alpine Aire for Backcountry Meals for the last 2 years. I have also been sticking predominantly with instant McCann’s Irish oatmeal + powdered butter and dried fruit for breakfast. Oatmeal is my go-to performance breakfast at home for gym training, mountain biking, snowboarding etc days and I see no need to change that up in the Backcountry either, even though I do like the Heather’s Choice breakfast so I’ll often bring one for the first day and then reuse the packaging for my oatmeal the rest of the trip. This is most likely the sheer laziness of not wanting to spend the time thinking about coming up with a better packaging solution for eating oatmeal, but this system works well enough.

Osturgill

FNG
I’ve not ate my first mtn house yet although sounds like I will be getting some hot sauce packets this is my first year out this is a helpful thread I’ve not decided on all my food items yet

Bunch of tough mountain-hunting guys with special tastes and tender guts around here.

:p

I don't know how many hundred freeze-dried, dehydrated or otherwise preserved commercial meals I've eaten....but it's a lot. I'm an equal opportunist buyer-eater. My kit will have selections from MH, AA, BP, OG, HC and maybe others. On a hunt, I eat what pleases me and I don't spend ONE second thinking about more than that. I also have never made my own meals ahead of a hunt, and acknowledge I have no interest in doing so. I click-and-buy and always will.

There's just no way to predict what meals and brands a guy might like. It's a crap shoot.....maybe literally.....to buy a selection of meals and take them on a hunt, hoping you'll like them. But that's the code most guys use. Maybe it's okay. At least the old appetite is always better when far from civilization. There have been many times I've bought a selection of f-d food to try at home and see how I like it. Just the other day I picked up a BP Huevos Rancheros for breakfast to try at home. I generally liked it but no way will I take it on a hunt. The preparation routine is too bothersome....too long....and I'm not dealing with that.

Years ago I bought the BP Pesto Salmon entree to try at home. I simply couldn't eat more than 5 bites as the taste was horrid. MH Southwest Breakfast Hash burnt the hell out of my tongue last year and won't make the cut again. AA Black Bart Chili is a beast but they missed on the name. I'm not out there drinking herbal tea and eating Thai meals. I'm supposed to be a top-end predator and my scat pile will prove that to any bear unfortunate enough to find it.

Wanted to make sure I'm not going to ruin my innards on these things. Tried the chicken fajita bowl and it is pretty decent, but what do you guys add to them to make them better? This tastes like it needs salt, but the sodium amount is almost 700mg already. Maybe hot sauce???

I add olive oil.

You can bring a small bottle of Kraft grated parmesan cheese to add to some of the meals. We call it 'shaky cheese'.

You can also bring red pepper flake packets, Taco Bell hot sauce, soy sauce, grated cheese packets.

FNG
ask for extra saracha hot sause packs from starbucks . they will give you 5 or 6 each time and bring the packs with your food.

Akshphntr

FNG
Any hot sauce is good garlic tabasco is bomb. My favorites like jambalaya discontinued but i like pasta primavera and just bought italian fusilli pasta. Turkey is okay