Just bought Kimber Mountain Ascent 6.5 - what ammo worked best in your mountain ascent?

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I usually use Nosler Trophy grade in my Kimber Montanas; However, I've several You Tube reviews using other brands with the Mountain Ascent. Who has experience with the Mountain Ascent and can speed up my learning curve with this 6.5 creedmore? Help please.

I hear great things about ELD-X and I see those available way more often than Nosler.

I would break in and learn with cheaper ammo though at near $3/round. Tweak and sight in with hunting ammo after you're comfortable.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I owned a mountain ascent in .308. I could not get that gun to shoot an MOA group. Most of the time I struggled to get that gun to shoot a 2 inch group at 100 yards. I even did hand loads and couldn't get it to shoot strait. My buddy also bought the same gun about the same time. I shot his gun too and couldn't get either gun to shoot an MOA group. Probably shot 300 rounds out of the guns and we finally sold both guns. I've got a custom gun that shoots .25" groups all day so I know it wasn't me or my reloading abilities. I hope you have better results than I did.

My Kimber Montana 6.5 creedmore absolutely loves factory 143eldx ammo. It’s so good I don’t reload for the rifle. .5 moa all day long

Well, after a good, long cool down between strings at least lol!

ianpadron

WKR
I owned a mountain ascent in .308. I could not get that gun to shoot an MOA group. Most of the time I struggled to get that gun to shoot a 2 inch group at 100 yards. I even did hand loads and couldn't get it to shoot strait. My buddy also bought the same gun about the same time. I shot his gun too and couldn't get either gun to shoot an MOA group. Probably shot 300 rounds out of the guns and we finally sold both guns. I've got a custom gun that shoots .25" groups all day so I know it wasn't me or my reloading abilities. I hope you have better results than I did.
I've got an MA in .308 that shoots clover leaves with 168 grain ELDMs from the Superformance line. Kimbers can be picky and often require some tinkering.

ianpadron

WKR
Never seen a 6.5 that didn't stack Hornady 143s in tight. Not a huge fan of their terminal performance but they'll certainly kill critters.

Not to hijack the thread, but I’ve got a custom 6.5 prc that loves the 143 Hornady’s as well. That factory load is actually all I’ve ever shot from it. Figured I’d just purchased 11 boxes for the brass last year, but was stoked to see how well it shot.

My buddy’s Ruger precision rifle, his daughter’s American, and my father in law’s Thompson center all love that 6.5 creedmore load as well. It must be a good one!

Crawdad3

FNG
I own 2 kimber one shoots eldx 6.5 Creedmoor .4 the other is another 6.5 Creedmoor yet to find great round