Just bought my first recurve

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
Hey folks,

I just picked up my first recurve today. and figured I'd post here and see what the experienced trad archers on here had for advice or whatever. Getting a recurve bow has been something I've looked into for a while and finally found one on Craigslist today for a good price. My budget and expectations were low. The bow doesn't have a manufacturer label except one circle on the front of the bottom limb that says " Deluxe Composite Bow". Google says that label was put on early production Browning bows that didn't meet their specs, essentially it's a "second" which is fine by me.
It's marked as 60" and 47#.
The rubber stick on arrow rest is shot and I'm going to by a new string because the guy didn't know how old this string was, that's the easy stuff. Do you guys recommend shooting off the shelf or using a rest? My plan is to hunt javelina with it if that matters in rest selection.

One issue did stand out at me though. I think the PO either didn't use a stringer or kept it stored strung because there is a small twist at the very tip of the top limb but I understand it's repairable. There are a few archery shops here in Phoenix that claim to specialize in traditional archery. I'll go and see if I wasted my money or not. Have any of you dealt with that? If so what were your results or methods if you did it yourself.

IMG-2932.jpgIMG-2933.jpgIMG-2935.jpg

I had a twisted limb in an old red wing Hunter after I shipped it to my new address, I was able to get it mostly straightened but not back to perfect. Hopefully you have better luck than me since you are taking it to a professional.
As far as rest vs off the shelf, a rest will be more forgiving of form and tuning flaws as you get everything figured out. I personally shoot off the shelf, but it doesn’t much matter what you do as long as you get good arrow flight.

Beendare

WKR
The mentor that helped me with my trad bow form Frank (RIP) had a huge collection of old bows, some with twisted limbs.
He would steam and block them to straighten.

As I recall, that only worked long term for some bows, others held a twist. Im sure Youtube has vids on this process.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
You can untwist a bow by hand. Don't use any heat it's not necessary and could delam the bow. Just twist in the opposite direction and don't be afraid to put your back into it.

I've fixed one pieces and take downs this way.

If I would give anyone new who is starting out any advice it would be to not look to Internet forums for advice, get a coach or at the very least Tom clums archery mechanics video course. There's all kinds of know it alls on the Internet who will lead you down the wrong path.

Get a qualified coach and don't be surprised if they suggest you buy a lower poundage bow to start with. I can almost guarantee you are over bowed if you are just starting out and trying to learn proper form.

Warmsy

WKR
I watched John Dudley's school of nock when I shot a compound for a year. A lot of the information is transferable, and it's free education. Tom column has a free video about back tension and another couple about grip and follow through/release on YouTube that helped me a lot.

Wait until you're shooting good groups until you decide to buy expensive arrows and tune them.

I shot of the rest at first, but I prefer the shelf now. It's such a personal thing, try a bunch of different things until you find what you like.

Have fun!

oldgoat

WKR
You will save measurable amounts of money and hair getting coaching starting out, and getting it before you do any shooting at all! Takes a couple shots to create a habit and hundreds to break it!

Beendare

WKR
A coach is good. But so is a lot of the Internet-based advice.

One of the things that helped me the most was that video “masters of the barebow 3” at 3 rivers.

Breaking down your shot into different components helps.

Starting with a 30# bow gets you to better form quicker.

Lots of good free resources if you search.

One of the things that helped me the most was that video “masters of the barebow 3” at 3 rivers.

Good advice above.
A lighter weight bow for working on form would be good, especially if 47# ends up leaving you over-bowed at first. Starting out with too high of a poundage was my first mistake.
I would also recommend finding a local traditional archery club and attend some of their shoots. Most club members will be tripping over each other to help a new person learn.
I was self taught and struggled for many years trying to learn what I did. Having an experienced person help you along will shorten the learning curve tremendously.
Best of luck to you and welcome to the addiction.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider

I've seen more bad advice than good on the forums. It's tough for a new guy to sort through. A lot of what was considered good advice "back in the day" is actually absolutely horrible. For example, Fred asbells book on instinctive shooting.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
There's nothing wrong with YouTube. It's just not an effective way to learn the sport. Anyone who goes this path will be leaps and bounds behind anyone who gets a coach.

OP
Pathfinder27

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
Get a qualified coach and don't be surprised if they suggest you buy a lower poundage bow to start with. I can almost guarantee you are over bowed if you are just starting out and trying to learn proper form.
I also picked up a used 28# recurve for just that reason. I knew the draw and holding weights weren't equivalent to my 75# compound. That's the only part I really thought through when I made this purchase.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider

That’s actually good advice sorta but the same could be said about coaches. As a new person the op doesn’t know how good the instruction or instructor could be.
As a newer guy he might not know if he’s receiving proper information.
Whenever I teach at a mixed event there’s always some guy says he knows what he’s doing. He’s been coached before.
I ask him to pick up his bow and show me his form. Stance is wrong, grip is wrong, broken T, elbow too low. If and when we get to shooting they need back tension explained. Bow hand is dtppped, etc etc etc
To the op, find someone in your area that knows something and have him recommend a local coach to help you or seek really reputable internet guys and there are a few

I’m new to the recurve game as well. Just bought and watched masters of the bare bow 3, pretty good stuff for 15$. If a guy could watch that, follow the steps and use slow mow camera to pick it a part that would be a good start, that’s my plan anyways.

pathing

FNG
Seconding the use of Tom Clum's SOLID archery mechanics course, if you can afford it. After shooting for 2 months, and somehow passing my archery hunting license exam, it really showed me how much I wasn't aware of. I came to learn the weakest points of my shot and the practical advice helped me start developing a reliable sequence.

As a fellow newbie, I'm more confident with a 10-lb stretch band and my 35# Samick Sage than I was with my 42# Hoyt GM I was shooting.

Tom Clum Sr. is your friend! He has incredible content for trad shooting. Welcome to the fold. It is a fun way to hunt. There is nothing more intimate in the hunting world than a stick bow. It will humble you at times but the payoff is worth it. Hunting is all about the limiting factors we choose for ourselves. It's how we "climb the mountain." How you get to the peak is up to you.

Enjoy your bow. Shoot a lot!