Just diagnosed with Type 1

Im barely 40 and just had some weird symptoms that started with my eyes going bad. Went to ER once i realizes my symptoms all points to diabetes. got admitted to hospital for two nights and now im learning how to live with this whole ordeal.

Anyone else type1? If so, do you still backpack hunt? I have no idea how id do it now…

go_deep

WKR
This will take awhile to get use to, don't try and figure out all it right away, small steps each day.

My son was diagnosed at 7, he'll be 14 in a few months. At first no we didn't get to cared away with things, but as we understood T1 more and how different activities affected him, he doesn't let anything hold him back down. Multi-day back pack hunts, camping, hiking, fishing, sports, you mane it, he's doing it. A huge help is the CGM and the pump. Ask you doctor for information on them, and recommendations, you may need to wait a few weeks or a few months, but they truly are amazing! My son has the G6 CGM, and T-Slim pump.
Life just pitched you a curveball, knock that sob out of the park!
You shoot me a pm if you ever have any questions, or just need to talk!

Last edited:

Dazzler

WKR
Diagnosed with it approximately 40 years ago. I don’t “backpack” hunt but I do hunt. Plan accordingly and you should be good. What specifically do you see being the biggest obstacles now?

Feel free to pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KsRancher

WKR
My brother is type 1. Been diagnosed since the age 10. Do not take anything I say as advice. Because he does not do it right. He doesn't get to concerned until his gets over 400 on the high side. What gets him is when it goes low. It just wrecks him. He is 5'7 and 130lbs. And I swear he eats 5000 calories a day. He needs to eat constantly to keep from going low. But it needs to be the right foods or will go too high.

This year elk hunting we walked in 3.25 miles and killed a bull opening morning. Walk in was a little over an hour. When we got loaded up with meat on our first trip out we left everything (food/snacks) at the kill site we didn't need cause the packs were HEAVY. We soon realized we messed up. The hike out was going to take WAY longer than planned. And we had no food. Only water (which makes his sugar go lower). It took right at 3hrs to get the first load out. By the time we got out he was SLOWLY walking, his steps were no more 6 inches. He was toast by the time we made it back.

As soon as we got back to camp he started eating, 1 hr later he was doing pretty good again. So we headed back to the kill site, this time with a bunch of snacks. Next trip was no big deal.

I would say it will just take time until you figure out how your body works with it.

Last edited:

Ram94

WKR

Type 1 here as well and I don't let it hold me back. It will take some time to figure it out, but with the technology available now, it makes things pretty easy to handle in the back country. I'm doing 8 day backpack hunts without issues. Highly recommend the Tslim X2 pump with Dexcom continuous glucose monitor. Reach out if you have any specific questions.

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sorry to hear that. But don't think you have to throw in the towel because of this. I've had type 1 diabetes since age 14. I'm now 40, with great control, and I backpack, hike, hunt and fish, including solo. It can be done, but your management has to get under tight control first, and that might take some time. The good thing is that these days the tech is incredible. The continuous CGM and modern pumps have changed the game. We also have much better information about nutrition and diet than when I was a kid.

Please feel free to PM. I'm happy to share any pointers. Wishing you the best.

WCB

WKR
A friend of mine is she does backcountry hunts, works out like a machine, and unless she tells you or you see her pump you would have zero idea.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider

I don’t backpack hunt (yet), but have day hunted without issue and done some non hunting backpack trips. Quite a few on here that get after it despite being in the same camp as both of us. Takes a bit more planning and figuring things out but definitely doesn’t prevent getting out and doing what you want to. I use a Omnipod and love it, for me at least way better than a tubed pump

go_deep

WKR
Generally, you have to abstain totally from sugar and take your insulin at the right time, you can maintain a type 1 diabetes without it affecting your hunting life and activity.

That's a big negative there. My son can eat whatever the heck he wants.

archp625

WKR
My brother had been Type 1 diabetic since he was 10. He is now 35. He just started hunting a couple years ago. We have gone to Montana and Idaho. Zero issues. He did say that he uses way less insulin in his pump when he's hunting out west. Do not let Diabetes stop you.

Scoot

WKR
You sound a lot like me- I was healthy as a horse until I was 38. Then the crap hit the health fan for me and I got a bunch of problems, one of them being Type 1 diabetes. Late onset, like you and I were blessed with, is not typical, but obviously happens. Most who get it will see onet between about 3 and 18 years old.

T1D is ALWAYS there! It's like an anchor I have to lug around with me everywhere in my life. Not going to sugar coat it- it sucks. That being said, there are a hell of a lot worse things (a friend's kid is 9 and has terminal cancer, another friend is the mother of four and in her early 40s with cancer, buddy's dad just died from early onset Parkinson's, etc.) I still backpack hunt. I still workout like I want to. I still get to do the things I want to do. But... it's always there, bugging the crap outta me in a thousand little ways. It's a really significant burden and will become an important and big part of your life that you will have to manage. Those who fight that responsibility typically pay for it in really big ways, whether that be in the long run or in the short run.

Not trying to sound too "doom and gloom" here, but I firmly believe what I said above. You absolutely can get your head and arms around it and take care of it, thereby taking care of yourself. Also, you should be aware that it is a hell of lot easier to live with T1D today than it was 20 years ago (even 10 years). The insulins currently available are pretty remarkable. Also, continuous glucose monitors are a life changing thing for me (crazy how much of a positive impact they have had on me). Some choose to use insulin pumps (I don't- pens work just fine for me as long as I use it in conjunction with continuous glucose monitors), which are also pretty dang amazing. If you have questions or need someone to bounce stuff off of, feel free to PM me.

This will be life changing for you. However, it WON't be life ending! You'll get it figured out and dealt with and it will be ok in the end. My first year with it was tough on me, but now it's just something that I am always aware of and deal with. Most do the same. Actually, most figure it out faster than me, I'm a little slow...

Fitzwho

WKR
My sister was diagnosed at 12. She's 6' 2" and played college volleyball. You'll have to get used to it and work your way back into the backcountry slowly. One thing I would say is that I would highly suggest that you do not hunt alone, likely ever again. I have witnessed my sister having seizures due to low blood sugar and you don't want to get to that point, especially if you are alone. Have your hunting partner carry a glucagon pen.

She had kidney failure two years ago (unrelated to her diabetes) and was lucky enough to get a new kidney and pancreas through the transplant list, and is now a fully functioning person again. No insulin or dialysis necessary.

KsRancher

WKR
That's a big negative there. My son can eat whatever the heck he wants.
That's my brother. He can eat whatever he wants. It just needs to be in a certain order. He can't start off with a half dozen donuts. He knows what foods to eat when.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
sorry to hear man. my wife has T1D, and i will reiterated the Dexcom CGM and the Tandem Control IQ is a game changer. i would suggest getting those as soon as possible. The big concern i have with my wife is if we hike hard on day, that night can be rough with lows. so if you backpack hunt just be aware of it. slow cardio seems to drop blood sugar quicker than anything else.

i will say if you want to hunt it will not stop you. the other thing to remember is lows and highs will happen and you'll never be perfect so don't think you need to be. good luck and i wish you the best health.

Scoot

WKR
Wha Flatgo said is also true for me-- when I do backpack hunts (or anything really physically demanding that is a grind) I have to drop my basal insulin by about half or I will fight lows a lot. It took a few trips and a lot of miserable hypoglycemic episodes to figure this out. Also, high elevation (above 10K) also makes my glucose regulation tougher.

bdan68

WKR
Eating any sugar or starches sure seems counterproductive for anyone with diabetes, whether it's type 1 or type 2. All that sugar in your blood requires a lot more insulin to get it back down. And high levels of insulin in your body is not a good thing.

68Plexi

WKR
The people here responding who have diabetes themselves are giving you good advice. My son is type 1, and we are very active (backpacking, hunting, snowboarding, etc).

The “backpacking with diabetes” thread linked in this conversation is a great place to start. There is an amazing diabetes community that has gone through what you’re experiencing right now and is eager to help. Just note how many people have offered to talk with you outside the forum if you need to. I would encourage you to take them up on their offer as it was very helpful for us when this was new to our family.

Diabetes is just going to require you to know the nutrition of what you eat, how your body responds to that nutrition (carbs, fiber, etc), and administer insulin when needed. The technology mentioned already (continuous glucose manager, insulin pump) are absolutely fantastic! I can’t imagine doing it without them. I recommend the G6 CGM sensor as well, but there are others to consider.

As tough as it is to hear your diagnosis, there has never been a better time in history to be a diabetic. People used to just die from this. Insulin treatment for diabetes has only been available for the last 100 years. The technology that exists today will allow you to live just like anyone else if you manage what you eat, which will be good for your health in the long run anyway. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk