Just joined a crossfitt gym to prepare for Sept.

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
So with Sept around the corner, I am need of something that will push my self in to shape quicker than just going to the gym and lifting and running a few miles. Someone recommended me to join a CrossFit gym. One week down so far and feeling good. Wow I was in worst shape than I thought. Anyone else do CrossFit? What are you doing to stay in shape for high-country hunting? Keep the egotistical comments to your self. This isn't a bash thread. I just want to see what everyone else does to prepare for the mountains. Also, if you don't do anything, that's great too. No judgement here.

fatlander

WKR
Something is better than nothing. Be conscientious of your joints, hunting for your lifetime is about longevity.

Hiking up, down, and across steep stuff with weight in your hunting pack is the best prep for hiking up, down, and across steep stuff with weight in your hunting pack (hunting in the mountains).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hpark3r

FNG
Something is better than nothing. Be consciousness of your joints, hunting for your lifetime is about longevity.

Hiking up, down, and across steep stuff with weight in your hunting pack is the best prep for hiking up, down, and across steep stuff with weight in your hunting pack (hunting in the mountains).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. Nothing can replace the real thing. Aside from that, being active in general is good prep.
Beware, CrossFit has an unusually high rate of injury, especially joints (ankles!). It would be really crummy to lose a hunt from trying to prepare for it.

ewade07

WKR
Be careful with your workouts. Crossfit gyms vary drastically, some are good, some are down right dangerous with what they have you doing. Personally i think the weight and reps that each prescribed workout entails is ridiculous, especially the amount of overhead work. If you arent used to that be very careful. The last thing you want is to blow a shoulder out. Just ask my fiance, she had bilateral tears.

I have been doing corssfit 5x a week since I got my ass handed to me on pack out in 19. Its great to keep you overall fitness and cardio up but is no substitute for weighted rucks...The gym is flat so not all the muscles in your legs you need for hunting get used, think sidehilling and moving on a slope. ..I always supplement with weight rucks before my hunt. Only "compete" with yourself.

amassi

WKR
Crossfit will certainly provide a broad base of fitness, depending on your gyms programming it could be slightly more or much more than a traditional gym split.
I'd add in low intensity walking 2-3x a week and 1-3 rucks with increasing weight as you approach season

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
This. Nothing can replace the real thing. Aside from that, being active in general is good prep.
Beware, CrossFit has an unusually high rate of injury, especially joints (ankles!). It would be really crummy to lose a hunt from trying to prepare for it.
I agree, nothing can replace the ring thing. I agree also that wouldn't be fun to sit at home during the best time of the year due to a injury. I feel its keen to scale and warm up prepare to prevent injury. This box is very diligent in proper form, stretching and mobility before doing the work outs.

Food for thought, I don't know what would be more crummy? A injury, or not able to hunt because lack of training or preparedness. I guess the risk is in the reward if you ask me.

ewade07

WKR
I agree, nothing can replace the ring thing. I agree also that wouldn't be fun to sit at home during the best time of the year due to a injury. I feel its keen to scale and warm up prepare to prevent injury. This box is very diligent in proper form, stretching and mobility before doing the work outs.

Food for thought, I don't know what would be more crummy? A injury, or not able to hunt because lack of training or preparedness. I guess the risk is in the reward if you ask me.
What would be even crummier would be injury yourself due to the training....double whammy there!

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Crossfit will certainly provide a broad base of fitness, depending on your gyms programming it could be slightly more or much more than a traditional gym split.
I'd add in low intensity walking 2-3x a week and 1-3 rucks with increasing weight as you approach season

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
So I'm assuming it would be much more than traditional gym split, which I've been for doing for years. Two muscles groups a day, and some cardio at the end was my normal type routine.

Just in a week of CrossFit onboard, I've used muscles that I haven't used since college because they are sore as I'll be out. I also like that is core based. To early to tell but I'm liking it.

TSAMP

WKR
I'm not gonna start the crossfit memes, but if someone was to do so, I could be inclined to join in

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
What would be even crummier would be injury yourself due to the training....double whammy there!
Right? I agree. I m not sure what sports out there don't have that risk of injury while training to be the best you can be. The HIT cardio I'm getting now from CrossFit is no Joke. I will defiantly and definitely have to be diligent in my preparedness to keep from injury. No pain, no gain right? :)

I recommend you buy and read "Training for the New Alpinism." The book has a pretty good portion devoted to talking about how crossfit/HIIT training in general produce specific physiological changes, but also how those specific changes are not necessarily the ones you're looking for to improve performance in the mountains.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I recommend you buy and read "Training for the New Alpinism." The book has a pretty good portion devoted to talking about how crossfit/HIIT training in general produce specific physiological changes, but also how those specific changes are not necessarily the ones you're looking for to improve performance in the mountains.
Thanks. I will take a look.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I have been doing corssfit 5x a week since I got my ass handed to me on pack out in 19. Its great to keep you overall fitness and cardio up but is no substitute for weighted rucks...The gym is flat so not all the muscles in your legs you need for hunting get used, think sidehilling and moving on a slope. ..I always supplement with weight rucks before my hunt. Only "compete" with yourself.
That is my concern, not being prepared. I bought a weighted vest, but now you got me thinking about weighted rucks. I think that is a great idea.

The last time I was in back country elk hunting I was hitting the gym 5 days a week and doing cardio every day. I know you can beat the real thing. Thus so far, CrossFit has me reaching a intensity point that I couldn't get in a traditionally gym on my own. Hopefully I can stay healthy and Injurie free.

I can definitely tell you're doing crossfit, since you told everyone on Rokslide about it.

I was never a fan of doing Olympic style lifts (where form is important) for time, but I am biased. I tweaked my back when I was a much younger man because a chic's butt distracted me during a PR deadlift.

PJG

WKR
Your going to get all types of bad advice. Most crossfits boxes are the same as far as the people that are in them, regardless of which box you are in. What I mean by this is that you are going to have a small number of people that are at the top of the leaderboard day in and day out. Most of these people have been doing crossfit long enough to have a pretty good understanding of it. Overall, to be at the top of the board you have to be pretty well rounded, strength, cardio, gymnastics, etc....Take the time to talk to the people in your box that has been doing it for awhile and is pretty well rounded in all of these aspects. You will have very strong people that will excel at the strength portions, you will have very gymnastic people that will excel at other portions of the workouts. It can be very individual in which direction a person decides to take crossfit. If you have good coaches, listen to them. If they say you need to scale things, then scale them, drop the ego and try to move well and learn how to move well. Learn how to hold a hollow position, learn to kip, learn to squat deep enough. Master body weight movements, learn how to properly row and a lot of the rest of it will follow. Crossfit is vastly misunderstood, most people that bash it haven't stepped foot into a box long enough to comment on it. At the end of the day experience it for yourself and form you own opinions of it, good or bad.