Just joined a crossfitt gym to prepare for Sept.

*zap*

WKR
For general fitness/hunting/hiking:

The best thing you can do for aerobic capacity is long duration, very frequent and low intensity cardio. Stay below conversation pace for the entire time...Do it fasted and it will get rid of body fat... As your aerobic capacity increases hiit once a week or so is good....

Strength is important for everyone.....as is muscular endurance. As your aerobic capacity increases you can add muscular endurance by increasing resistance.....uphill, add weight and etc. as long as you stay below conversation pace.

You want to fuel with fat not glucose which will cause the body to adapt/change and become more efficient at producing atp....the duration and frequency is very important to make that happen as is the low intensity which eliminates releasing glucose for atp production.

When you do that daily liss fasted you have zero insulin in your blood thus you increase the fat use...and the adaption to become efficient at that fat use...as your durations increase it may be good to stop for a short break and have an energy bar or something for glucose fuel....I limit my fasted cardio to 45 minutes and then have a small cliff bar and resume. As your body becomes more efficient at burning fat you may be able to extend the fasted state time...

ymmv.

tntrker

WKR
GL on the Journey to getting fit. This morning I was dieing!
I die every morning. Ours was "toned down" this morning due to the Murph Challenge Sat. "Toned down" was 500m row and 150lb sand bag carry 100' every 3 min. You rest in what time was left in the 3 min...I've liked/hated it so far and plan to continue.

h2so4

WKR
I'm 5 years into crossfit and still enjoy all aspects of it. The coaching, the structure, the performance gains and of course the community. I usually go at 6am and a few of us get coffee afterwards. It's much easier to get up in the morning when I know I get to goof off for 30 min after the workout with friends. Occasionally, I'll get to the work out and not feel it for whatever reason. I just scale the hell out of it, move and stretch and enjoy the morning. I'm not trying to make it to regionals, I just want to be in good shape for whatever comes my way. Whether that be hunting, riding bikes, chasing kids, playing softball, etc.
I enjoy competition with past self to get new PRs on lifts, faster workout times and better form.

Glad to hear you're getting back into it!

Are you going to do Murph this weekend? I'm planning on it, but just lost my voice this morning and am hoping that it is not the start of a cold. I need to beat my time of 56min. That second mile kills my time.

h2so4

WKR
I die every morning. Ours was "toned down" this morning due to the Murph Challenge Sat. "Toned down" was 500m row and 150lb sand bag carry 100' every 3 min. You rest in what time was left in the 3 min...I've liked/hated it so far and plan to continue.
LOL. That does not sound "toned down" at all. Best case you have like 25 seconds to stop sucking wind. The in/out of the rower alone will be a PITA.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sprinkling in some HIT/crossfit workouts I think is great idea- I've had my ass handed to me many times doing some of their workouts (Murph being near the top!) :D

I do think anyone training for a mountain hunt should take the time to peruse the New Alpinism and Uphill Athlete. I think there is enough info floating around (including all the free material on the uphillathlete.com website) you probably wouldn't need to read the books (but it wouldn't hurt).

tntrker

WKR
LOL. That does not sound "toned down" at all. Best case you have like 25 seconds to stop sucking wind. The in/out of the rower alone will be a PITA.
It wasn't "toned down" was the general thought. Read easy but was definitely another day like I'm practicing to be the big bad wolf and determinded to blow the brick house down. haha No Murph for me but I'll be there for support. Good luck

TripleJ

WKR
Good on you for pushing yourself to do better! I've been doing CrossFit for over 10 years now, and I am 48 years old. If you keep your ego in check and seek out/listen to good coaching, the injury rate is very low, and is no higher than any other fitness activity if you look at the statistics. It's hard to beat the atmosphere and motivation you gain working out with other people on a daily basis. You just tend to push yourself harder and go farther when there is shared "suffering". It also builds a mental toughness when you are able to complete some of the more brutal and challenging workouts (like Murph). There is nothing wrong with being more flexible, more mobile, stronger, and gaining full range of motion...all things that CF emphasizes. I usually go 4-5 days a week, but as elk season gets closer, I sprinkle in at least 1 day of trail running and 1 day of hill rucks a week into my routine. CF is a great base for your fitness, but the endurance to go out and hike up and down hills all day with a pack on and bow in your hand is a different kind of shape.

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
Sprinkling in some HIT/crossfit workouts I think is great idea- I've had my ass handed to me many times doing some of their workouts (Murph being near the top!) :D

I do think anyone training for a mountain hunt should take the time to peruse the New Alpinism and Uphill Athlete. I think there is enough info floating around (including all the free material on the uphillathlete.com website) you probably wouldn't need to read the books (but it wouldn't hurt).
That book changed my life and my career.

Superdoo

WKR
I’ve been doing CF for a little over a year.
A coworker was a coach and got me to try it out.
I told her that I would try it and see how it goes, but one of my favorite things to make fun of is CrossFit.
She said what else do you like to make fun of? I said number two would have to be chiropractors.
She smirked and then told me one of the gym owners is a chiropractor.
I busted out laughing!
I asked where the gym was located and she said I should look up the address for the chiropractor’s office because they share the building.
Laughter freaking ensued!!!!🤣😂🤣😂

amassi

WKR
cf....a step above sitting and eating cheetos.
The step above sitting and cheetos is walking and diet. There would be quite a few other, perfectly reasonable, steps between a couch and crossfit.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
For general fitness/hunting/hiking:

The best thing you can do for aerobic capacity is long duration, very frequent and low intensity cardio. Stay below conversation pace for the entire time...Do it fasted and it will get rid of body fat... As your aerobic capacity increases hiit once a week or so is good....

Strength is important for everyone.....as is muscular endurance. As your aerobic capacity increases you can add muscular endurance by increasing resistance.....uphill, add weight and etc. as long as you stay below conversation pace.

You want to fuel with fat not glucose which will cause the body to adapt/change and become more efficient at producing atp....the duration and frequency is very important to make that happen as is the low intensity which eliminates releasing glucose for atp production.

When you do that daily liss fasted you have zero insulin in your blood thus you increase the fat use...and the adaption to become efficient at that fat use...as your durations increase it may be good to stop for a short break and have an energy bar or something for glucose fuel....I limit my fasted cardio to 45 minutes and then have a small cliff bar and resume. As your body becomes more efficient at burning fat you may be able to extend the fasted state time...

ymmv.
So do you follow keto?

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Friday we did 30 wall balls/9 dead lifts (155 scaled for me lol) 60/90 double/singles for AMRAP 18. My back was so sore that I couldn't get out of bed for the murph any of the weekend. I even took off this morning to get one more rest day. Plan to hit WTF 5am. Feeling a little better on the soreness. I may hit 6pm work out tonight.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been doing CF for a little over a year.
A coworker was a coach and got me to try it out.
I told her that I would try it and see how it goes, but one of my favorite things to make fun of is CrossFit.
She said what else do you like to make fun of? I said number two would have to be chiropractors.
She smirked and then told me one of the gym owners is a chiropractor.
I busted out laughing!
I asked where the gym was located and she said I should look up the address for the chiropractor’s office because they share the building.
Laughter freaking ensued!!!!🤣😂🤣😂
I didn't believe in chiropractors until one made my back pain for 8 years go away. Beliverrrrrrrrr. :)

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5 years into crossfit and still enjoy all aspects of it. The coaching, the structure, the performance gains and of course the community. I usually go at 6am and a few of us get coffee afterwards. It's much easier to get up in the morning when I know I get to goof off for 30 min after the workout with friends. Occasionally, I'll get to the work out and not feel it for whatever reason. I just scale the hell out of it, move and stretch and enjoy the morning. I'm not trying to make it to regionals, I just want to be in good shape for whatever comes my way. Whether that be hunting, riding bikes, chasing kids, playing softball, etc.
I enjoy competition with past self to get new PRs on lifts, faster workout times and better form.

Glad to hear you're getting back into it!

Are you going to do Murph this weekend? I'm planning on it, but just lost my voice this morning and am hoping that it is not the start of a cold. I need to beat my time of 56min. That second mile kills my time.
Thanks. I planned to do Murph on Saturday with the members but Friday mornings workout was a little too spicy for me. They did a 18min AMRAP deadlifts/jump ropes/wallballs. It was a light work out from what he said. I about died. lol I woke up and my wife had to help me put my socks on for the next few days. I felt I was letting someone down by not being there but I needed recovery. Soreness was just crazy from the deadlifts. Wednesday was a 30ft dB lunges,15 Cals on bike, 10 shoulder DB push presses for AMRAP 20. Was my 1st full week of actual works out. I plan to go back WTF this week 5am. Maybe this evening too. I'm trying to over due the volume right now.

FlyGuy

WKR
Thanks. I planned to do Murph on Saturday with the members but Friday mornings workout was a little too spicy for me. They did a 18min AMRAP deadlifts/jump ropes/wallballs. It was a light work out from what he said. I about died. lol I woke up and my wife had to help me put my socks on for the next few days. I felt I was letting someone down by not being there but I needed recovery. Soreness was just crazy from the deadlifts. Wednesday was a 30ft dB lunges,15 Cals on bike, 10 shoulder DB push presses for AMRAP 20. Was my 1st full week of actual works out. I plan to go back WTF this week 5am. Maybe this evening too. I'm trying to over due the volume right now.

Being that sore is no fun. Here is my unsolicited advice for people just starting out…

For the first year or two I only went to CrossFit 3 days/week (M, W, F), then I’d run or ruck on Tuesdays and Saturdays. It seemed like if I tried to do CrossFit more often than that I’d just get too beat up and then I’d have to take a whole week off. I “wanted” to do it more, but the truth was I just didn’t have the core strength developed yet and my form and my technique were questionable at best (meaning “risky” once the WOD started). I would recommend limiting yourself to 3 days per week to anyone just starting out. Then see how you feel to add a 4 day in a few months or so, and so on…

Secondly - I would also recommend going VERY LIGHT on all lifts in WODS for the first 2-3 months. do your best to drop any ego and just focus on trying to make each rep absolutely perfect. You’ll still be getting plenty of work in and re-awakening those muscles that haven’t done this type of activity for a while, while you Build up your cardio endurance.

Now, “light” is a relative term and it’s easy to overestimate your ability and end up hobbling around the house for days again. (And your wife will not be very supportive of your efforts after seeing you like that 2-3 times). So, instead of waiting until the WOD is about to start to decide what weight to use (most likely based off of what others in your class are using), have a plan before you even show up. I would suggest something very simple like taking the ladies RX weight and dividing it in half for the first 2-3 months. When you feel like you are ready, take it up to 75%. I think my my second year I was able to do ladies RX weight 95% of the time and used that as my target for a long time. Simple plan. Eventually that wasn’t challenging enough so I picked a weight somewhere around halfway between ladies and mens RX. And by my 4th year I was up to doing mens RX for most workouts.

The key is longevity. I have to remind myself of that sometimes when my ego gets in the way, But that’s the truth. I still want to be chasing elk when I’m 75. I’m confident that the fitness that CrossFit brings me will get me there - as long as I do my part and make responsible choices and play the long game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro