Just moved to Pinedale, WY

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone,

I finally achieved my worklife dream to be 100% remote back in March, and after some covid isolation/wait-and-see, I've completed a move to Pinedale! I'd like to meet folks local to me here, but covid will probably change some of what that process should look like, so thought I'd just throw up a post. Love to chat with anyone from around here.

I'll have to get tags as a nonresident for this year, but I've picked up a black bear tag and I'll have the points for 100% draw on region H nonresident deer. I'm also thinking I'm going to have to get into fishing more as an after-work evening activity. But I've been obsessed with muley's for the last half-decade or so - they're my primary reason for the move. My previous muley hunts have been early archery in Colorado, some late-season guiding in Colorado (which I'll be doing again this year), and then everything available across the state of Nebraska. I know the herd here is down from what it has been, but from the local situation I'm coming from, the worst of times are still a significant upgrade :). Like probably everyone coming to this forum, I really enjoy learning and covering country and I'm a single guy, so I'll be spending most every non-work moment in the mountains. I won't have an elk tag though, so it would be fun to get to know a buddy or two here to help out with your Elk endeavors. I'll be on a muley mission myself through this summer and season, but after that I honestly enjoy helping guys almost as much as hunting my own tags.

Hey Morgan - Welcome to all the civilization you need, and more winter than most people want! I'm in that general area (Cora), so feel free to get in touch if you want to shoot the breeze. I too have the deer bug, and never turn down someone that wants to tag along to help pack elk off a mountain. ~Luke

2rocky

WKR
Pinedale is a cool town. Congrats on being location independent with your career. Had I been single out of college with my knowledge I have now I might have made the same choice. Please share what you like and dislike about the people and the area and I'll have a better idea of what to suggest you do in your new home.

I'll be building points again for Wyoming. I had a really good 9 year run on Elk deer and Pronghorn between Farson and Togowatee Pass as a general area.

Bull n Heat I coveted that cabin that was the last house before you entered the NF on Gypsum. Had I been Location independent in my job I'd have bought that in a heartbeat.

Bull n Heat I coveted that cabin that was the last house before you entered the NF on Gypsum. Had I been Location independent in my job I'd have bought that in a heartbeat.

2rocky - I actually live just a few miles from there, so I know what you mean. On the days when the snow ain't blowing sideways for 7 months, it's a dream come true.

Outstanding decision. Very few people make a jump like that. The people who do are glad they did. The people who dont spend a lot of days looking back wishing they had. Congrats on going for it. That part of Wyoming is unbelievable.

Dcoryn

FNG
I made that jump last year, greatest move I've ever made. Id recommend picking up a leftover type 6 cow tag once they are released, that's how I got this cow last year even though I moved here after the NR elk deadline. Im up in Sheridan if you ever make it over to this side of the state

elk2.jpg

npm352

WKR
Congrats. Pinedale is a very cool place. Have hunted 88 for speed goats twice and stayed in Pinedale one of those times.

Congrats on achieving your goal. Very neat!!!

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! Has to be a great feeling to be out there looking forward to fishing and scouting for the fall.

bm-55

FNG
I spent a lot of time in that area growing up, dream location. Congrats and good luck this year!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We spent so much time up there when I was growing up that my mom was always trying to talk my dad into just buying a place there. We were all surprised that he never did. We used to fish the Newfork a lot on the Nobles ranch and the Green on a few different ranches up there. I have a buddy that has a place up there now, and his brother is a retired county sheriff from there. Pinedale was always one of my favorite places in the states. My problem is......I hate the cold, could never live there year round. I'd say "you're living the dream".

OP
morgan1h

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone! I've been loving it. Bear season was sure slow for me, but fishing has been better a little better and now I'm really excited to get starting with summer scouting. Jim's Scouting in June article here and the rokcast interview were really motivating!