Just ordered an SL3

7mag.

WKR
I wanted the SL5, but they are sold out. I got the SL3 for $250. I waited too long, because a few days ago it was $200. Any of you guys have any tips or info I should know about this shelter? I am pretty excited to get it. I went back and forth between it and a Supertarp. The SL3 finally won due to price and the fact that it has more room, especially head room.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice choice 7mag, we really love our golite tipis! There isn't too much difference between the SL3 and SL5 except interior space...When Luke and I backpack together we typically choose the 5 for more space, but the SL3 sleeps two and some gear comfortably and is a palace for one person! In fact we will take both shelters along on our upcoming Dall sheep hunt, the 5 will be our primary shelter and the 3 will be the emergency shelter in case of unplanned bivy out overnight, or to get out of foul weather for lunch some afternoons. We ditch the center pole and erect the shelter with trekking poles to save weight, and I would plan on adding cord to the option guy out points to make the shelter even hardier if the wind kicks up.

If you haven't seen them already, check the videos page for footage of ours in action. Luke did a full video review of the SL5, and you can also see the SL3 in the "solo slog" video...

Congrats again on the shelter, you won't be disappointed!

muleman

WKR
I would recommend guying it out if you pitch it in an exposed area or expect wind.

It does pretty good in wind but last weekend I pitched it at the head of two canyons; in what I thought was a sheltered area. Over night we got sustained 30mph winds with 50mph gusts. I had to get up and guy it out because the windward side was being pushed in. Once guided out and I lowered the pitch everything was fine. As a testement to the wind stability I pitched the fly with 6" ultralight titanium pegs is less than optimal loose rocky ground and they held fine during the blow.

Instead of being ultra ultra light, I prefer extra stakes for guylines and 12' of 2mm chord per guyline. I have yet to have to stake the mid points on the fly.

OP
7mag.

7mag.

WKR
Thanks for the responses. I can't wait for it to get here, so I can try it out on a bear hunt.

Becca, Luke's video's really helped me make my decision. Seeing a piece of gear in action, makes it much easier to understand what the gear is all about.

OP
7mag.

7mag.

WKR
Well, it came yesterday. I set it up in the backyard, and I'm impressed. Very lightweight, and easy to set up. It took me about 5 minutes, by myself, having never done it before. I don't see how 3 adults could sleep in there, but it should be perfect for 2 and gear.

if you look on the website it shows the diagram of cramming everything in, perfectly nested, head to foot. not a real life 3 person. maybe if someones tent collapsed or something..

sk1

WKR
my sl3 is a one man palace :D

i wanted something big enough for me and gear...well the sl3 might have been overkill, but i can take someone with if i want which is nice