Just received the Garmin 66i (new inreach)

rob86jeep

WKR
I just received the new Garmin 66i GPS w/inreach capability. I haven't had a chance to try it in the field yet but it is registered and ready to go. Just seeing if anybody that's considering getting one had questions that I might be able to help with.

Rob

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I've never used a regular Garmin GPS so I'm not sure what's standard or new, but it does have sun/moon rise and set times, a fishing/hunting calendar, birds eye map (that you have to download first) and weather. It also has all the other normal GPS features like live track, route planner, and things like that. I was surprised to see it has a small built in flash light and an alarm clock which could come in handy (although all phones also have that).

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Also, it comes it at exactly 8.5 ounces (just as advertised) without the clip and 9.3 ounces with the clip/d-ring attached.

eltaco

WKR
Does it do anything more then an InReach SE and a phone with OnX?

Yes, can be used during a rain or snowstorm and can be dropped without shattering. Pros and cons to the phone w/ onX approach, for certain, but it is tough to argue the robustness of the Garmin. I’ve had hunts with week-long downpours where a phone simply wouldn’t have been optional.

For someone who already has an Explorer and/or mini, probably not a necessary upgrade but for a do-it-all package, it’s the most comprehensive inreach device Garmin has come out with.

And when you just want ONE unit with you and nothing else to turn on....link....handle....and manage power usage. I can definitely see plenty of guys who would appreciate the one-unit-does-everything.

I am trying to determine if the 66i can get weather forecasts via the Iridium Satellite link in non-cell areas.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still trying to figure out what it does over the "regular" inReach? it has a fully operational mapping gps along w/ sat capabilities for communications (including spot weather forecasts)

what exactly does this one have that the "regular" one doesn't?

Brendan

WKR
I'm still trying to figure out what it does over the "regular" inReach? it has a fully operational mapping gps along w/ sat capabilities for communications (including spot weather forecasts)

what exactly does this one have that the "regular" one doesn't?
Mapping appears to be much better.

It's a Garmin GPS unit integrated with Delorme Inreach functionality, instead of the crappy mapping of the older units.

I personally am sticking with my Inreach se, because I prefer my phone for mapping.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a phone too (w/ a mini), but thought the mapping w/ the SE was pretty good- just redundant with my phone (which is my camera in addition to my gps), so went with the Mini

now if took SIM cards, I know a lot of folks that would grab that

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
It has a micro SD slot so I assume it will take OnX chips but I'm not positive as I haven't tried it (I only use OnX on my phone).

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has a micro SD slot so I assume it will take OnX chips but I'm not positive as I haven't tried it (I only use OnX on my phone).

if it does, they will do with that model- have several buddies that have been waiting patiently for that

Yes, can be used during a rain or snowstorm and can be dropped without shattering. Pros and cons to the phone w/ onX approach, for certain, but it is tough to argue the robustness of the Garmin. I’ve had hunts with week-long downpours where a phone simply wouldn’t have been optional.

Has anyone killed one of the more recent smartphones that have IP67 ratings without a pretty serious submergence? I ask because I'm pretty lackadaisical with mine in the rain and wet conditions these days and haven't had any issues.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
mine (iPhone 6) resides in a Lifeproof case and have had no issues with rain/snow, if I’m making a ford where the phone might get submerged (typically outside of hunting season) it gets slipped into a waterproof sleeve

CG86

FNG
How is the battery on the 66i? The problem with running my phone and another unit is that my phone battery doesnt last more than 2 days with limited use. So I typically end up bringing a charging pack and chord which would be nice to cut out.

dla

WKR
I just received the new Garmin 66i GPS w/inreach capability. I haven't had a chance to try it in the field yet but it is registered and ready to go. Just seeing if anybody that's considering getting one had questions that I might be able to help with.

Rob

Please spend some time using it and then give us your thoughts. Lots of folks interested in it. Early reviews were mostly negative, but that was due to bugs that have probably been fixed by now.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Unfortunately I messed my knee up two days after getting my new inreach. I just had surgery a few weeks ago so I won't be able to use it in the mountains for another few months at least.

Last edited: