Just sick

ChrisAU

WKR
Tracked for 7.5 hours today, frontal shot at 12 yards, confident in that shot from 20 feet up in a tree. Aimed below white patch and let it go, split second decision. Had very very good blood for a couple hundred yards and then it reduced to dime sized spots...for a couple miles, in a small area. He doubled back many times and took a pile of sharp turns for no reason. Craziest track I’ve ever been on. Really upset that the meat won’t be recovered but I have a tracking dog coming in the morning to hopefully locate him.

FAE8C496-905D-4CC0-B077-E5DB42818A3C.jpeg

8400B42A-80C6-49B2-BBFC-82D14E4F221C.jpeg
FBABCBA4-FA2A-4EF7-90FF-CF4120BFAAC4.jpegB105DC1F-039D-4D38-BCD6-358B7085800E.jpeg

That's quite a bit of blood to have made it a couple hundred yards. Good on you for spending the day tracking it, hopefully there is some luck with the dogs tomorrow.

adamm88

WKR
What broadhead did you shoot him with?

I shot a buck 2 years a go frontal with rages and the track did a simular thing, it looped 1.5 miles up through laural and we lost the track about 150 yards where i shot him. He was found dead in a pile of brush close to where we lost track, we figured he peeled off downhill and just missed the turnoff and we were tracking the in-trail on the way back around.

Good luck hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWoods

WKR
He doubled back many times and took a pile of sharp turns for no reason. Craziest track I’ve ever been on.
That probably means that he knew you were following him. Snow tracking (pre-shot) deer in New England, I've had them lead me in figure-8 circles and back on my own tracks before trying to loose me.

All the best to you in finding the deer!

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
What broadhead did you shoot him with?

I shot a buck 2 years a go frontal with rages and the track did a simular thing, it looped 1.5 miles up through laural and we lost the track about 150 yards where i shot him. He was found dead in a pile of brush close to where we lost track, we figured he peeled off downhill and just missed the turnoff and we were tracking the in-trail on the way back around.

Good luck hope it works out for you.

G5 Montec

Good for you for working so hard on recovery. I'm not a fan of frontal shots from above due to small margin for error and chance (arrow slightly deflects inside, etc.). Is that a shot you would take again?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Good for you for working so hard on recovery. I'm not a fan of frontal shots from above due to small margin for error and chance (arrow slightly deflects inside, etc.). Is that a shot you would take again?

I think so, he got bumped a lot I believe, inadvertently. Walking out to the truck to go back to the shop to wait awhile before beginning the track I actually found blood on the road, and he walked down that road some. And then later in the track it led up by a nearby food plot where my buddy had parked to come help look, we think he may have turned him there accidentally. Waiting on dog now.

Private or public land? How long before starting track? Getting bumped makes tracking very difficult, but a good dog is priceless. Good luck and hope you find him.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Private or public land? How long before starting track? Getting bumped makes tracking very difficult, but a good dog is priceless. Good luck and hope you find him.

Private land. Waited an hour and a half. Dog should be here any minute.

Assuming Alabama from your sig, I understand wanting to recover that deer ASAP. Probably pretty warm there, but on a questionable hit I prefer at least a 12 hr. delay before track. Being in Michigan, we generally don't have to worry about meat spoilage this time of year. Best of luck. Hopefully everything works out.

adamm88

WKR
G5 Montec

I shot mine with rage, i figured between lack of of penetration and only two blade thin blades moving around inside the cavity it would take alot to tear it up on the inside. 3-4 fixed blades inside a cavity will just tear everything up

I know from first hand experience that a deer will go a long long way on one lung if he's pushed. I once shot a doe that I thought for sure was a double lung shot, after I shot a different doe seconds prior. In short, I got to that deer 6 hours after the shot and she was still alive, so ended up waiting another 2 hours and luckily she had expired not far from where she was last bumped. Sounds like you got a one lunger to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Guessing on the angle and close shot with that shot placement you hit brisket and got real good blood that probably isn’t lethal.

figure 20 feet up and 36 feet away, that’s close to a 40 degree downward angle. Shooting below the white and assuming a duck, the likely impact was thick brisket and deer is fine.
Hope the dog tells me differently

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Guessing on the angle and close shot with that shot placement you hit brisket and got real good blood that probably isn’t lethal.

figure 20 feet up and 36 feet away, that’s close to a 40 degree downward angle. Shooting below the white and assuming a duck, the likely impact was thick brisket and deer is fine.
Hope the dog tells me differently

I hope you are correct, the dogs jumped him a few times today after finding more blood past where we lost it yesterday. They were unable to catch him so hoping he will be fine.

Probably won’t take that shot again.

Was it a guy shot? I've heard of bike clogging the wound site and slowing bleeding. Good job on the recovery and you got a story to tell now!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

psu927

FNG
keep after it if all else fails go to a grid search. if you didn't hit him too low a full front is almost always fatal