Just so Know - Testing a new #11 Nipple

I have to correct an error that I made... The nipples are not made of 17-4 SS but rather S-7 steel which is a more resilient metal

S-7 is an air or oil hardening tool steel that is characterized by very high impact toughness. The combination of strength and high toughness makes S-7 tool steel a candidate for a wide variety of tooling applications.

Lehigh Defense is now offering a replacement #11 Nipple for muzzleloaders. The metal used to create this new offering is the harder 17-4 Stainless Steel. The product is also undergone Heat Treating to make it even more durable. At this time the nipple is only available in 1/4x28 thread configuration.

When I first heard about this product, I was really wondering why? After a conversation with the folks at Lehigh - their goal was to create a stronger more durable, longer lasting product. 17-4 Stainless is certainly a place to start, much better durability than steel or 416 stainless steel.

I have this thing!!!! I want a nipple that with a #11 cap or even a RWS 1075 cap on the nipple post, it will not fall off and it becomes water proof! When a nipple is pressed on to this nipple with a capper or even pushed with your fingers it will stretch the convolutions to the point of flattening the leading edge and not allow water/moisture a pathway to the ignition material in the top of the cap.

It does create a problem for some users in that if the unfired cap is pushed on tightly you will not be able to remove it with your fingers. Most often it will need to be peeled off the post.

The pictures I am posting are from my testing for water proofing

11-Composite.jpg

After, I peeled the submerged caps off the nipple post, I did take a Knight DISC out to the shop place the nipples back on the nipple and test fired them.

Both the CCI #11 mag and the RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+ ignited with out a problem. Further I shot 3 ea. of both caps on the new nipple installed in the DISC.

Last edited:
OP
sabotloader
I am really hoping to rum to the farm in the morning and test one in a Knight DISC, but I really think they are going to work very well and last longer.

Jbehredt

WKR
Where’d you get it? Not available on the lehigh site. Says coming soon”. ETA: NEVERMIND. Photo is coming soon, nipple is ordered.

Last edited:
OP
sabotloader
Where’d you get it? Not available on the lehigh site. Says coming soon”. ETA: NEVERMIND. Photo is coming soon, nipple is ordered.

GREAT! I am going to take a DISC to the farm tomorrow morning and get some real testing in - I hope!

OP
sabotloader
A couple of people have ask about ignition of BP subs... so I ran a Pin Gauge in the nipple

Pin-0-031.jpg

This should show it will work well with subs including T7

OP
sabotloader
I am killing time right now - then headed to the farm to shoot a DISC with the new nipple. suppose to be doing 'honey dooos' but Terry left to go to the store :)

OP
sabotloader
I have to correct an error that I made... The nipples are not made of 17-4 SS but rather S-7 steel which is a more resilient metal

Lehigh Defense is now offering a replacement #11 Nipple for muzzleloaders. The metal used to create this new offering is the harder S-7 steel. The product is also undergone Heat Treating to make it even more durable. At this time the nipple is only available in 1/4x28 thread configuration.

When I first heard about this product, I was really wondering why? After a conversation with the folks at Lehigh - their goal was to create a stronger more durable, longer lasting product. S-7 is certainly a place to start, much better durability than steel or 416 stainless steel.

I have this thing!!!! I want a nipple that with a #11 cap or even a RWS 1075 cap on the nipple post, it will not fall off and it becomes water proof! When a nipple is pressed on to this nipple with a capper or even pushed with your fingers it will stretch the convolutions to the point of flattening the leading edge and not allow water/moisture a pathway to the ignition material in the top of the cap.

It does create a problem for some users in that if the unfired cap is pushed on tightly you will not be able to remove it with your fingers. Most often it will need to be peeled off the post.

The pictures I am posting are from my testing for water proofing

11-Composite.jpg

After, I peeled the submerged caps off the nipple post, I did take a Knight DISC out to the shop place the nipples back on the nipple and test fired them.

Both the CCI #11 mag and the RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+ ignited with out a problem. Further I shot 3 ea. of both caps on the new nipple installed in the DISC.