Just tell me which camera

brocksw

WKR
Still fairly new to the camera game and Already have an old Nikon D5000 I dick around with but want to get something smaller/lighter with better photo quality and HD video for filming hunts. I find I leave the Nikon in the truck lot because of the bulk.

Mostly landscape shots with the addition of some experimental video to start with.

It seems like the best choices in my budget are an a6500 or a refurbed A7rii. Leaning towards the a65. Cheaper lenses, more compact, better battery life, better video, better auto focus. At this point in my photo experience it seems to make more sense. But they can be had for relatively similar money if I buy a refurbed alpha. But I do like blowing images up as big as they can go and the full frame would do that a hell of a lot better.

I'll probably be able to buy one lens right away that I want to use for landscape and all around use. Have an ATX spotter with digi adapter and that will be my most powerful "lens" for the time being. That might be the deal breaker... Probably not in my near future to buy a 600 mm lens so if the 95mm spotter is going to hold the A7rii back, I might be better off with the a6500... But don't understand everything I read about that.

Which camera and which lens?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm also just getting in to photography and got a a6000. I have really liked it so far and you can get them for a great price plus any lenses you get can go on the a6500 or a7 if you decide to upgrade down the road.

jspradley

WKR
The A7X series and A6X can use the same lenses so it's hard to go wrong with starting out with one of the smaller crop sensor bodies then upgrading later on.

Sony is coming out with an A6400 soon that looks pretty sweet too

The A6500 is the way to go for you. I would say get it with the 18-135 lens. Keep in mind, the lens will go on a FF camera but will shoot in crop sensor mode so it's no better then the A6500. Also keep in mind the A6500 is weatherproof the e lenses for the crop sensor are NOT.
There are rebates right now plus there is always a Rokslide deal
Give me a call to discuss all your options

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
The A6500 is the way to go for you. I would say get it with the 18-135 lens. Keep in mind, the lens will go on a FF camera but will shoot in crop sensor mode so it's no better then the A6500. Also keep in mind the A6500 is weatherproof the e lenses for the crop sensor are NOT.
I've also been recommended a fuji mirrorless and Nikon full frame dslr.

jspradley

WKR
Fuji XT series cameras are awesome, you can get the XT1 and XT2s for cheap now too.

I currently run an XT1 and a Nikon D750, if you are looking for something compact then a full frame DSLR is not the way to go, as awesome of a camera as it is haha

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I would look at the Nikon Z series if you are looking at FF mirrorless.

For backcountry use they have great build quality and weatherproofing. The new S lenses are so sharp they will cut you if you’re not careful. Excellent video quality and capable AF. Best EVF available. Excellent IBIS. Full library of F mount lenses available too.

The giant Z mount leaves a lot of room for awesome lens development in the future.

Downside is the cost.

I still run a DSLR, but the Z is in my future. I spent some time with a Z7 and it was awesome. The Z6 looks like a great match for me though.

If you are looking at APS-C, Sony and Fuji are where it’s at. Sony gives you a FF upgrade path.

jspradley

WKR
I would look at the Nikon Z series if you are looking at FF mirrorless.

For backcountry use they have great build quality and weatherproofing. The new S lenses are so sharp they will cut you if you’re not careful. Excellent video quality and capable AF. Best EVF available. Excellent IBIS. Full library of F mount lenses available too.

The giant Z mount leaves a lot of room for awesome lens development in the future.

Downside is the cost.

I still run a DSLR, but the Z is in my future. I spent some time with a Z7 and it was awesome. The Z6 looks like a great match for me though.

If you are looking at APS-C, Sony and Fuji are where it’s at. Sony gives you a FF upgrade path.

I really want to try one of those Z's!!

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
The XT3 gets some phenomenal reviews... A lot of professionals say it challenges the FF mirrorless cameras at a fraction of the price with a better interface, better video, better image formats (than Sony), no over heating problems, faster focus...man seems like the XT3 is a winner.

jspradley

WKR
The XTs are killer bodies. Glass is expensive... but then again all glass is expensive.
I personally really like the Fuji controls but you have to know what you are doing to run them effectively, which isn't a bad thing at all.

The Z series are excellent cameras as are the Fuji mirrorless. You have to look at a few things
First, your budget, as that will determine everything else.
There are a lot of great options out there. Happy to discuss them with you if you would like

I've also been recommended a fuji mirrorless and Nikon full frame dslr.

Ive shot Fuji since 2014 and really like it, I've used an xt1 up until recently and picked up an xh1 a few months back. It has never been cheaper to get into the Fuji X system then it is now. XH1 with 3 batteries and the grip for 1299 is the best deal in the camera industry in my opinion. 50-140 is 1199 and the 16-55 is under 900.
Thats a GREAT kit to Start out with for less than 3500 bucks. These lenses are as good or better than any F4 full frame zooms I've used.

It really depends on your budget and what you're looking to get out of it. I can speak to the fact that most of fuji's lenses are remarkably well made. the 16-55 f2.8 and the 50-140 f2.8 are GREAT lenses. If you're looking to completely obliterate the background you will have a difficult time without one of the Fuji specialized primes.

I chose fuji in 2014 as the A7 felt extremely cheap in my hand and the lens selection from Sony was terrible. That's changed and Sony has become a company that in my opinion makes the best mirrorless full frame on the market today but their lenses can be very expensive.

a Sony a7r2 is a good camera no doubt, but if you don't need the resolution of the 42mp I would pass, and go either A72 for a cool $998 or get the A73 for only a couple hundred more.

I would caution against Sony apsc as their lens selection is laughable at best. It is true that you can use FE (Full Frame e-mount) but when normal working zooms are involved you can end up with odd focal lengths. primes its easy to sort this out, and super telephotos can be a benefit as you gain a little reach. their bodies are solid though, but they have yet to prove to me that they will ever make the apsc line more than what it is now.

Another factor to consider is file size. my xh1 and xt1 files are from 30-40 mb raws. my buddies A7r2 is around 80-90 mb. that may not seem like a lot but its huge, and you need a computer that is capable of that type of heavy lifting as well. Its noticeable which file I'm working on when in Lightroom or Capture One, and you need double the storage capacity if you retain your raw files.

I will attach some photos below so you can get a feel for the depth of field and the rendering of certain lenses. don't judge the photos on ultimate sharpness as this site requires me to down size fairly significantly from the original file.

The benefits of FF over apsc or a smaller sensor in my opinion is better noise handling in low light from the FF sensor and a wider range of depth of field control. if neither are a huge concern then you may even want to look into the m 4/3 as they have exceptional cameras with exceptional lenses in a smaller and lighter form factor.

Below is an example of the depth of field on the fuji, this is at 55 f4. Depth of field is a personal thing and subjective to what you shoot and how you like things to look.
_XT16397.jpg

Below is an example of a photo that would have benefited from a full frame prime instead of an Apsc f2.8 zoom.
I consider this background to distracting for this photo. this is 18mm at f2.8 for reference. _XT16474.jpg

This is at 55mm f2.8 iso 200, while the background may be a bit distracting, the depth of field is plenty shallow for most of my needs.
_XT15360.jpg

This is 140 at f.4 iso 200

_XT10964Cap 2.jpg

Landscapeish shot at 16mm f7.1
_XT16184.jpg

This is not a great shot but can see that its not lacking for detail. 23 f8 iso 200
_XT16026.jpg

Hopefully that helps a bit.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Thank you for the detailed points. Ultimately, I'm wanting to start taking pictures that I can blow to large sizes and sell the prints. I understand this is doable with an aspc and I shouldn't get too caught up with sensor size..but one cannot argue that the FF will out resolve the smaller sensors. I can buy a used A7rii body for around the same price as an XT3. This gives me higher resolution and ibis. I have a computer that has the nuts to work with large file sizes, my biggest hang up right now is trying to figure if my budget allows for spending the money on full frame lenses. I can buy an XT3 with a 16mm f1.4 (supposedly a magical lens) for around 2k. Whereas I feel I'd have to spend another few hundred dollars on something like a zeiss batis or Loxia to really justify the purchase of FF body. When I look at picture comparisons for prints in the 20x30 range... It's noticeable but still minimal difference. However when prints approach the 50" size it becomes very evident that some subjects will demand the full frame and a good lens. And ultimately that is where I'd like to get... Images that can be blown up to huge sizes. I'm kind of caught between doing what I want... And following my budget... Then again... I'd really like that fuji gfx 50 series....cause "bigger is always better" right? Haha

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Ended up going with a used fuji xh1. Feel pretty good about my choice too. 900 bucks for the body was within my budget and leaves extra money for glass.

For what your looking to do, I think the sony a6500 would be a good route. Im a Canon guy personally, but the stuff Sony is coming out with is awesome

smith777

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting with a Canon 70D on my hunts for a few years now. It is a big ole heavy thing to lug around though, so I've done some research and am selling it to switch to a Sony a6000 with a 18-135mm lens most likely. Will simplify my camera gear greatly, and be much easier to carry in the woods.

smith777

Lil-Rokslider

Joel,
Do you have any deals on a Sony a6000 w/ 18-135mm lens?
Thanks,
Jordan