Just the tip

ToolMann

WKR
Get your mind out of the gutter. I'm talking about muzzleloader rod tips :)

New to the muzzy thing. Bought an Optima V2. Figuring everything and acquiring the accessories. Where I'm confused is on the ramrod, range rod and bullet starter tips. When I opened the box my first thought was the brass end of the rod was for seating the bullet. Then realized that is where the Palm Saver handle goes. From videos it also appears that piece can be used as the "jag" for patches. Purchased a range rod that didn't come with tips and a T-Handle starter that came with three of them. Am I correct in thinking each of these should have a special tip screwed in for bullet seating? Planning on using the Thor bullets. If so, does anyone know if after attaching a top to the non-Palm Saver end of the ramrod if it will still fit in the ramrod holder/guides that attach to the bottom of the barrel? Guess I can open the bullet starter package, attach a tip to the ramrod and find out.

Thanks in advance. Always fun learning something new and extending opportunities to be in the field.

TM

blkqi

WKR
No you wouldn't put a bullet aligner on that end of the rod and expect it to go back into the hanger/stock. In the field you would just use the rod without an aligner or if you had time you might pull a starter out of your possibles bag to use.

Much of the time I keep a small bullet aligner on the jag-end of the rod and use that in the field. When you are reloading in the field you will have enough adrenaline in you that the function of the palm saver is wasted anyway.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
No you wouldn't put a bullet aligner on that end of the rod and expect it to go back into the hanger/stock. In the field you would just use the rod without an aligner or if you had time you might pull a starter out of your possibles bag to use.

Much of the time I keep a small bullet aligner on the jag-end of the rod and use that in the field. When you are reloading in the field you will have enough adrenaline in you that the function of the palm saver is wasted anyway.
Thanks blkqi. Appreciate the info. That definitely makes more sense.

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
I have a follow-up / clarification for me as a ML newbie.

I picked up an Accura V2 recently. I am planning to shoot Barnes TMZ bullets. I have a bullet-starter and purchased the special tip (aligner tool) for the TMZ bullets. I put that aligner tool on my bullet-starter and plan to carry that in the field in my possibles pouch. If I put the aligner tool on my ramrod, it won't fit on the Accura (under the barrel) any longer. So, what do I do if I have to reload in the field?

Do I:
1) Start the bullet using my bullet-starter that has the aligner tool, and then just finish pushing the bullet down the barrel using my "stock" ramrod (I'm afraid that will booger up the bullet tip), or

2) Start the bullet down the barrel with my bullet starter with aligner tool, then unscrew the aligner tool from my bullet-starter and put on my ramrod to finish pushing down the barrel?

Please don't roll your eyes as this is likely a stupid question - but I'm trying to learn! :) Thanks!

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
I have a follow-up / clarification for me as a ML newbie.

I picked up an Accura V2 recently. I am planning to shoot Barnes TMZ bullets. I have a bullet-starter and purchased the special tip (aligner tool) for the TMZ bullets. I put that aligner tool on my bullet-starter and plan to carry that in the field in my possibles pouch. If I put the aligner tool on my ramrod, it won't fit on the Accura (under the barrel) any longer. So, what do I do if I have to reload in the field?

Do I:
1) Start the bullet using my bullet-starter that has the aligner tool, and then just finish pushing the bullet down the barrel using my "stock" ramrod (I'm afraid that will booger up the bullet tip), or

2) Start the bullet down the barrel with my bullet starter with aligner tool, then unscrew the aligner tool from my bullet-starter and put on my ramrod to finish pushing down the barrel?

Please don't roll your eyes as this is likely a stupid question - but I'm trying to learn! :) Thanks!
Not a dumb question. I still consider myself somewhat of a newbie after last year being my first muzzy year. Here is where I ended up: I take my range rod with me in the truck and load my first bullet with that using the aligner tip. If I need to reload (haven't had to yet, hopefully this year) in the field after taking a shot, I'll just start the bullet with my fingers (I can do this with the bullets I'm shooting, your mileage may vary) and finish seating with the rod attached to the gun. I'll carry my aligner tip in my bag and attach it to the rod if I have time, but not too worried about it. I've done some test runs at the range and haven't had issues with the bullet tips that I know of. Maybe give it a try. Good luck!

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome info, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Your info does make sense to me. It really does come down as to how quickly one would need to reload in the field.

I would appreciate any other viewpoints out there. Thanks!

Rich M

WKR
I use the bullet attachment that is shaped to match the ogive of the bullet, not the ones with the pins that go inside hollow point bullets. Was a trial and error.

Also shooting an Optima V2.

In the field reloading. Don't get so focused on reloading that you don't keep watching the animal. I'd rather know where it was going if it gets up and saunters off.

You can also find a solid bullet that fits easier than whatever you are shooting - so you can drop the powder in and then drop in the bullet that will go in easily. It will still shoot and kill, just faster and easier. I shoot sabots and some are incredibly tough to reload but shoot good.