Just when i thought I was done...

Like many here who are done or close to being done with their 2017 hunts.... I finished the 4th and last hunt here in Utah for me and got busy cleaning and readying stuff for the long wait until next year.

I had some errands to run and stopped by a local barber shop where some hunters always hang out .
I was asked what I was doing tomorrow, said probably getting a rifle set up.

then he said he was organizing some people to help another local who drew a late season LE Elk rifle tag.
He said can you come and help locate the bulls they had spotted in the area.

I was like, what time and where.
lol

Got the spotter, binos and pack all set and ready and I get to go on another bull hunt.
Wow.
feeling blessed for sure.

I left a couple tents set up in the back country because I have 1 more deer tag to fill. I had a bear trash one of the tents. Bear season runs into the middle of December. So my hunt season has been extended. I am also feeling blessed.

No food was left in camp, looks like a curious bear having a little fun with the puffy thing I sleep in. This is the second time in about 5 to 7 years at this particular spot. Third time thus far total.

I left a couple tents set up in the back country because I have 1 more deer tag to fill. I had a bear trash one of the tents. Bear season runs into the middle of December. So my hunt season has been extended. I am also feeling blessed.

No food was left in camp, looks like a curious bear having a little fun with the puffy thing I sleep in. This is the second time in about 5 to 7 years at this particular spot. Third time thus far total.

BooBoo is still breathing? Say it ain't so! I got an unfilled deer and bear tag too.

OP
mfllood3800
WyoElk...... I know it is rough sometimes
lol

I was able to get on 2 bulls and 8 cows, bedded them and got the shooter the info, I had to then head out and my truck broke down on the way out. So now My problems are real
hahaha

Trying to get back in there to get it soon.
Fun Day turned into a challenge day

At least I got see elk

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I want to know what y'all do for a living that merits just up and going on a trip into the back country on a whim like that

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I am self employed and this is my normal slow season. We start up hot and heavy in late Dec.

Plus this is Utah, when somebody finely draws a LE Bull Rifle tag after putting in for 22 years, We all call in sick if we have to
:)
It is a big deal here in the Beaver Unit for sure.
Not just a typical any bull unit, there are a lot of 400+ being spotted this year.
My LE Bull archery elk this year was a 360.
I was one of the fortunate.

A guy shot a 410 bull, and it was on his Gov Tag, a month or so ago, right here where I was cow hunting.
One morning I had a huge bull walk out prior to shooting light, but the full moon told me he was every bit a 370 min bull.
I just heard there is a bigger than the Gov tag bull running around now in that same area.

It is pretty cool how when a local draws these tags, every body in town gets a call and some how participates- its that special.

I had a lot of volunteers and guys willing to help me if I didn't get into bulls on my own. I hunt high, very high, and few wanted to go up, but said, hey if you don't tag out up there, we have some down here.

The shooter of the current tag is retired as well. the other guy who went with me is the local barber with his dad, so he just took the day off.
Plus its a Saturday

Pleads lord..... never let me get to the point that when I draw a tag, I have to call the whole town out to 'spot' one for me. especially when I'm retired and have the time to do MY OWN hunting. Please take me out, before that happens....thank you, jeezus

OP
mfllood3800
Wow huntsman,
I said everyone "Participates", not spots. This guy already located these bulls as well as others, and he knew the area was bigger than he could cover, It is a huge area and 3 of us were in there trying to cover all the basins and drainages. Participate can mean, bring in horses, and track too.

Its a big deal to finally draw and time is critical, especially with the rut over, and the bulls now silent and in isolated pockets trying to recover from the rut.

I got a call 2 weeks ago from a guy who had an elk down and couldn't get it out- so yes, I went and helped him get it up and out of that drainage.
Even if guys with crappy attitudes called me, I would come help, cause that's what we do.

Thx for bringing a positive attitude to this thread.

1signguy

WKR
Pleads lord..... never let me get to the point that when I draw a tag, I have to call the whole town out to 'spot' one for me. especially when I'm retired and have the time to do MY OWN hunting. Please take me out, before that happens....thank you, jeezus
Some people would complain about being hung with a new rope... This post has nothing to do with an inept hunter and is all about neighbors trying to celebrate another’s good fortune. You clearly are a glass half empty guy. Good luck with that.

dotman

WKR
Quit being a putz!!!

Like Thumpers mom said “if you can’t say anything nice then don’t say anything at all...”

Isn't it funny, it's ok if you pay a guide but if people want to just help because they like seeing success or just getting in the woods then it's taboo. If I lived in the area I would help.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't it funny, it's ok if you pay a guide but if people want to just help because they like seeing success or just getting in the woods then it's taboo. If I lived in the area I would help.
I wasn't going comment but at some point everyone one and thier dog helping out is taboo and screws the other tag holders. It's limited for a reason after all to decrease the competition and increase the TAG holders enjoyment. In Utah they take it to a whole new level of helping out. To each their own I guess it's legal and hell that's how the mossback boys do it so it must be the best way

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
isn't it funny, that if a guy hires a guide, he usually only gets a guide? Nobody said it was taboo to have help, but do you really need the whole freaking town? Mebbe, just mebbe, that many folks stumbling around 'participating' would blow the big'un plumb outta the country.... A guide gets a tip, do the 'participants' get a participation trophy? Just a couple questions from your resident glass half full putz......

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
isn't it funny, that if a guy hires a guide, he usually only gets a guide? Nobody said it was taboo to have help, but do you really need the whole freaking town? Mebbe, just mebbe, that many folks stumbling around 'participating' would blow the big'un plumb outta the country.... A guide gets a tip, do the 'participants' get a participation trophy? Just a couple questions from your resident glass half full putz......
So compensation makes it all better?

Are you always this negative or just save it for us?

Live2hunt custom shelters

dotman

WKR
I wasn't going comment but at some point everyone one and thier dog helping out is taboo and screws the other tag holders. It's limited for a reason after all to decrease the competition and increase the TAG holders enjoyment. In Utah they take it to a whole new level of helping out. To each their own I guess it's legal and hell that's how the mossback boys do it so it must be the best way

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I get what your saying but if it's a limited area with very few tags why are we so against helping someone? I'm against the mossback model as they make tons of $$$$ helping only the rich, I bet if it was an OTC tag you and others wouldn't respond if someone donated their time to help.. I don't know I guess I see no problem helping people be successful and I wouldn't need a dime or participation trophy to do that. In the end tags are not going to increase and success rates increasing aren't going to effect future game populations or reduce quality opportunities for others.

So why are you against others donating their time to help? Guides get paid and yes maybe one guy takes you out but more then one scouts the area to determine where the best animals are and then these areas are hunted. I don't see the difference but that's just me, I've also never been on a guided hunt or had a limited tag that is a once in a life time or twice in a lifetime tag but again if I lived in an area that was this I would gladly help for free and require nothing in return to see someone have success.

If the tag holder was a DB I wouldn't help. What if everyone helping helped in a unit where they would be lucky to shoot a rag horn, would you say a thing?

Last edited:
I get what your saying but if it's a limited area with very few tags why are we so against helping someone?

Would you guys be so gung-ho standing up for 'all the help' if every other tagholder that drew the area showed up with his 'whole town' to celebrate and participate in his success of finally drawing that coveted and waited for tag, too? Or would it just be OK if you're considered a 'local'? I bet the 'locals' would be PO'ed if eveyone else showed up with their whole town, instead of the way it is.... Heck, if I ever draw it, the only thing I'm bringing to 'help', is the HS Marching Band. I'll sit at the top of the drainage and sent the Band in the bottom. Ol' Big'un is sure to run past me as he quits the country. If I miss, we'll just move over to next drainage and give it another go.....