Justified shooting? What say you?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Alright lets hear it. You're there to pick up your kid, someone else says "no way" and goes inside and comes out with a gun.

Show of hands, who's turning their back on the guy who just went inside to get a gun and leaving their kid with a guy whos response to conflict is to go get a gun?

Gut response I would have wanted to beat his ass for acting like a jackass.

Brain response I would have used that incident to gain sole custody of my childern through a lengthy and expensive court battle.

Ultimately I like to think I would have walked away.

Fatcamp

WKR
Little guy should have stayed in the house and called the police.

One common denominator I see in many "shootings" ( justified or not) is the shooter produces or is carrying a weapon. Someone who is physically larger/stronger believes the person with the weapon will not use it and moves towards them/gets into their personal space.

LOL. Surprise!

Squincher

WKR
Everyone talking about him being guilty, I didn't think charges had been brought up?

I thought this had already been deemed justifiable. The shooting took place Nov 5, so been 3 weeks, I'd think with the evidence warrants would have been issued.

This has only come up in the continued custody battle.

Maybe they have brought up charges now, but I thought the Lubbock Police deemed it justified.

Other sources say the case was turned over to the Texas Attorney General's office on 11/16 since the shooter's soon-to-be ex wife is a local judge who might be called a witness. If both videos posted in this thread are in the hands of investigators, it seems there is more than enough information available to have taken the case to the Grand Jury already. The facts of the case seem cut and dried.

According to the Red State article posted, a Grand Jury is required. If that is true, the local prosecutor can't simply issue a warrant.

Other sources say the case was turned over to the Texas Attorney General's office on 11/16 since the shooter's soon-to-be ex wife is a local judge who might be called a witness. If both videos posted in this thread are in the hands of investigators, it seems there is more than enough information available to have taken the case to the Grand Jury already. The facts of the case seem cut and dried.

According to the Red State article posted, a Grand Jury is required. If that is true, the local prosecutor can't simply issue a warrant.

That starts to make sense.

Guess the wheels are just moving slow.

sndmn11

WKR
Gut response I would have wanted to beat his ass for acting like a jackass.

Brain response I would have used that incident to gain sole custody of my childern through a lengthy and expensive court battle.

Ultimately I like to think I would have walked away.

What if you were lawfully armed?

If it were me a gunfight is taking place and I'm not running until I get to 25 yards or so. Someone who brings out a firearm at a verbal argument doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that they don't intend to use it.

I think if a law enforcement officer were present on a civil standby, or walking by etc., and shooter walks out with a gun, he probably would have received immediate fire.

That starts to make sense.

Guess the wheels are just moving slow.

I think a few weeks would be wicked fast, especially if the state just got this mid November and the last week has been a holiday. I'd snag a warrant for all electronic communication between bf/gf, interview anyone around them professionally and personally, look at financial records, read custody hearing transcripts, etc. I wouldn't want to go to a grand jury hastily and get an indictment for a lesser charge, and then have to have another go at it when I uncover evidence of premeditation or conspiracy.

I know when I got my carry permit the officer instructing the class was pretty set on pounding into everyone's head that if you're going to shoot someone you need to feel like your or another individual's life is in danger.

I think the shooter is going to have a hard time convincing 12 people his life was in danger. I don't know about Texas but here in Tennessee it's definitely a no no to brandish a firearm in an attempt to deescalate a situation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Guy with shotgun is an idiot... death penalty seems appropriate in this case. Typical small man complex. Knew he couldn't kick the guy's ass, so he gets a gun.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
First , everyone needs to calm down and stop acting like they know exactly how they’d react in that situation after the shots. They were all, including the shooter, in obvious total shock at what just happened after the shots and a dead body laying there. No reactions to such a traumatic event can be predicted unless that shooter has killed people before which I doubt. He was a small man with small man syndrome to bring a weapon out of his house and use it to murder his girlfriends kids father. This is one of the most disturbing and sad videos I’ve ever seen online and I wish I never clicked. I’d wager to bet that the mother is the root of the problem in the entire situation and now her kids may grow up to despise her forever over this situation. Imagine being raised by the jackass that killed your father. I could be wrong, maybe the dad was a total dick and sucked at being a parent. But I hope the shooter is prisoned for life and the mother gets some kind of punishment as well. You don’t let your BF murder your children’s dad unless you’re a total psychopath because I guarantee she knew he had a loaded gun in the house. Those poor fn kids man…

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, crazy. What are people thinking. Just don’t get it. No one values humane life anymore.

Hope he likes prison, that’s where he’s headed.

And his girl doesn’t get out and help? Just keeps on recording. Dude Obviously doesn’t have the best taste in women.

Moserkr

WKR
Saw a few mentions of castle doctrine, but none of the stand your ground laws, that even apply off your property. Lots to debate and stupid all around, but guessing that played into the decision to not prosecute yet too.

Unfortunately, working for a school district, I am asked to intervene when custody issues come up. The first thing I do is call the local PD, as they have immediate access to court records and custody agreements. As such, the immediate issues are resolved quickly. I have often seen one parent working the kid, to refusing to go with the other parent during their time per custody agreement. The local PD simply advises the parent they have the legal right to physically put the child in their car and leave. Generally the other parent is present with their other family members, filming the entire incident and attempting to get the police to take action against the parent that is attempting to pick up their child during their custody time. In the long run, with the courts, all that filming, once viewed by the court works against the parent doing the filming.

This case, based on my experience over the decades, would have resulted in a similar outcome if only the father would have walked away and called law enforcement. This outcome is clearly a tragedy.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
.... I’d wager to bet that the mother is the root of the problem in the entire situation and now her kids may grow up to despise her forever over this situation. Imagine being raised by the jackass that killed your father. I could be wrong, maybe the dad was a total dick and sucked at being a parent. But I hope the shooter is prisoned for life and the mother gets some kind of punishment as well. You don’t let your BF murder your children’s dad unless you’re a total psychopath because I guarantee she knew he had a loaded gun in the house. Those poor fn kids man…
I (regrettably) read something last night that puts a bit of clarity in some of the bizarre relationship part of all of this, if that is even possible.
These four people: KR, his GF, CR and KR's ex-wife judge were all swingers.
Actually saw a pic of the deceased together with the judge, the ex-wife of small man syndrome. The two of them are sitting at a table together.
If my suspicions are right, these four were all screwing around together, little man divorced judge and took up with deceased's wife.
Judge has had to recuse herself from this case likely because she knew all of these people, probably intimately. No wonder no one wants this to go to trial! Gov. Abbot appointed her to the judgeship! Total cluster fark.

Sorry to go Jerry Springer here, but I'll about guarantee this is the case and in the end will all come out with prosecution.

Rob5589

WKR
I (regrettably) read something last night that puts a bit of clarity in some of the bizarre relationship part of all of this, if that is even possible.
These four people: KR, his GF, CR and KR's ex-wife judge were all swingers.
Actually saw a pic of the deceased together with the judge, the ex-wife of small man syndrome. The two of them are sitting at a table together.
If my suspicions are right, these four were all screwing around together, little man divorced judge and took up with deceased's wife.
Judge has had to recuse herself from this case likely because she knew all of these people, probably intimately. No wonder no one wants this to go to trial! Gov. Abbot appointed her to the judgeship! Total cluster fark.

Sorry to go Jerry Springer here, but I'll about guarantee this is the case and in the end will all come out with prosecution.
Like we say at work all the time; you can't make this shit up.

If you listen to the audio, the big guy threatens to take the gun away (which is a 9mm, not a shotgun) and use it on the little guy. The big guy then proceeds to try and do that at which point the little guy shoots him. I believe this was the little guys place of business and he told the guy to leave several times. Its too bad it went down this way, big guy should have called the cops. Its going to be self defense.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
What if you were lawfully armed?

If it were me a gunfight is taking place and I'm not running until I get to 25 yards or so. Someone who brings out a firearm at a verbal argument doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that they don't intend to use it.

I think if a law enforcement officer were present on a civil standby, or walking by etc., and shooter walks out with a gun, he probably would have received immediate fire.

I think a few weeks would be wicked fast, especially if the state just got this mid November and the last week has been a holiday. I'd snag a warrant for all electronic communication between bf/gf, interview anyone around them professionally and personally, look at financial records, read custody hearing transcripts, etc. I wouldn't want to go to a grand jury hastily and get an indictment for a lesser charge, and then have to have another go at it when I uncover evidence of premeditation or conspiracy.

I am almost always lawfully armed. I hold a LTC. Simple answer is I like to think I would have just walked out to my vehicle and called the PD. As I have carried more I generally have gotten calmer and walk away from peoples stupidness. This was a classic example of a lose lose situation. No good comes from arguing with your ex on the lawn like white trash. No good comes from branshing a firearm during a verbal arguement. No good comes from the dead guys wife egging it on. No good comes from keeping a parent from seeing their kids. Even if they are a piece of crap parent. IMO USUALLY being there is better then being absent. No good comes from shooting an unarmed man on your porch. The kids will likely need years of therapy to get over this and it will be a small miracale if they arent permantely F-ed.

Again if I was on the grand jury I would indict him.

If you listen to the audio, the big guy threatens to take the gun away (which is a 9mm, not a shotgun) and use it on the little guy. The big guy then proceeds to try and do that at which point the little guy shoots him. I believe this was the little guys place of business and he told the guy to leave several times. Its too bad it went down this way, big guy should have called the cops. Its going to be self defense.
The boyfriend did not shoot the dad at the point at which the dad was approaching or grabbing for the rifle. He waits until he dad approaches (doesn't fire), they are chest-bumping and big guy grabs the gun the first time (boyfriend fires a warning shot), chest bumping continues, he allows his rifle to get grabbed again (no shots then), and then the boyfriend is flung by the rifle off into the yard. After that action is concluded and he regains his footing, and is in no immediate danger and with no additional threats being made, and while the big guy is standing motionless on the porch, the boyfriend carefully aims and shoots twice from about 20 feet away.

I'll add that it looks to me like the situation was a set-up for the dad. I think they kept his kid from him past the court-ordered pick-up time on purpose, and knowing he was a hot-head, thought they'd film him losing it to use it against him as evidence.