Justifying cost?

I find myself in a conundrum while shopping for a 300 win mag (or 300 wsm for that matter) for elk and larger game. I recently picked up a Weatherby vanguard in 6.5 prc and it’s by far the best shooting gun I’ve ever shot. But then again, I haven’t shot a lot of guns outside of shotguns and muzzleloaders.

To me I spent a lot on the Weatherby, but to some $1000 is still a budget rifle, and rightfully so. I guess my question is how does one justify going up to the next level withou the experience ce to know what benefits you’re truly going to see with that added cost. Especially if it’s a hunting rifle only with, what should be obvious but probably isn’t, appropriate range time throughout the year to stay sharp with said rifle.

I’d love to pick up a fierce fury or even a Seekins element, but with the latter that’s 2.5x the budget of my current “amazing” rifle. Do I stick with another vanguard so I have 2 near identical rifles to be familiar with when the adrenaline is rushing, or do I save and pay the premium and “buy once cry once” and walk away with a more premium rifle? Is that value there with my intended purpose?

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Vanguards are excellent rifles and every vanguard I’ve owned or shot has been a tac driver. 6.5PRC is a great all around rifle so I don’t think you need more. If you want a similar functioning rifle step up to a Mark V and you can shed some weight compared to the Vanguard and will shoot just as good. I have a Vanguard first lite in 6.5 creedmoor and a Mark V Weathermark LT in 6.5 WBY RPM and don’t think I’ll ever get rid of either of them.

People are killing animals and shooting sub MOA every year with sub $1000 rifles. Its all about how much you want to spend as you sure dont need to spend much to get a good accurate rifle.

FLATHEAD

WKR
All my stock Remmy 700's out shoot my Weatherby MkV.
That WBY stays in the safe, and my 700 in 300WM is my go to.
Point being, you dont need to spend thousands$$$$ to get what you NEED.
And I just bought a Ruger Predator in .308.

Spend the money on training and ammo. When you learn more about what separates the $ tiers of the firearms you can decide if that’s the right choice for you or not.

nksmfamjp

FNG
Rifles that fit the basic hunting role are certainly available for $1000 or less.

You may decide your rifle needs a certain action, barrel, trigger, optic, etc. That will drive up price for marginal performance improvements. It may be a lot more fun!

sndmn11

WKR
Do I stick with another vanguard so I have 2 near identical rifles to be familiar with when the adrenaline is rushing, or do I save and pay the premium and “buy once cry once” and walk away with a more premium rifle? Is that value there with my intended purpose?
Go the other way and track down a .223 or 22-250 (there is one in the classifieds I think) vanguard. There is an immense amount of value in that, I don't think there is anything to gain beyond the 6.5.

ElPollo

WKR
Justification signifies guilt. I personally think life is to short to waste time on guilt. Hobbies are supposed to be things that make you feel good.

Rich M

WKR
Last rifle i bought was a Ruger American. It is a 1/2 inch gun. Not bad for $500.

Do what you wanna do but you could save a bunch on the rifle and get a better scope.

Sprunk

FNG
I have had a Tikka for many years now in .308, I love it. Shoots well, carries well, just a quality firearm. Picked up a Bergara in .300 WM this winter and another Bergara in .308 with the Special Purpose 18" short barrel last week. All spur of the moment purchases and "budget" guns. I am pretty tickled with all 3. Get whatever trips your trigger by handling them, not by online reviews or price, and enjoy!

manitou1

WKR
You’ve got a gun that will kill practically all animals in NA fairly easy. Buying guns from this point is about want not need. So buy what YOU want and have fun.
Exactly. My custom does not outshoot any of my others (I only keep accurate rifles). It was a matter of "want, not need". There are a LOT of good hunters shooting 15-30 year old $500.00 rifles that kill a lot of game.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Go the other way and track down a .223 or 22-250 (there is one in the classifieds I think) vanguard. There is an immense amount of value in that, I don't think there is anything to gain beyond the 6.5.
This is excellent advice. Get a basic Howa 1500 .223 and shoot 2000-3000 rounds. Howa makes Weatherby Vanguard. Put an awesome scope on it so you can practice and learn how to shoot consistently out to 500 with it. If you take a class or something like the Modern Day Sniper online course, you will learn and get a feel for what you would want.

Your 6.5 will handle whatever you hunt until you make another choice.

When it comes to rifles, put extra money in the scope or other gear if another Weatherby will satisfy you. A good scope is absolutely worth it IMO. You get more bang for your buck by upgrading that before the rifle.

Gone4Days

WKR
Depends how you are set up with the rest of your hunting gear… if you aren’t set up with premium glass I would save money on your rifle and put that money to glass. I live out west and use 8x Swaro SLC’s on my chest, 15x SLC’s for tripod glassing and also have a Athlon spotter for digiscoping and when I really want to get up close… Nightforce scope on rifle. I have waaaaaaaay more $ invested in glass than rifles. Glass is more important.

sndmn11

WKR

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last rifle i bought was a Ruger American. It is a 1/2 inch gun. Not bad for $500.

Do what you wanna do but you could save a bunch on the rifle and get a better scope.
My last rifle buy was pre-covid and picked up a Ruger American .270 Win for under $300 on sale. My scope was over twice the cost of the rifle, but all-in still under $1000......it's a tack-driver. And this was the most expensive rifle setup I've ever owned....LOL. I've killed many elk and deer with rifle/scope setups that were under $750. But I also haven't been shopping or even looking much post-covid. But ya, there's need.......and then there's want. But even then.....that "need" part is still blurry. Definitely first world problems.

WCB

WKR
BeCauSE tHE BoLt iS SoOoOOO SmOooOOtH!

Save money buy the less expensive rifle (doesn't mean it isn't as good or better).

OP
Shady oaks
My last rifle buy was pre-covid and picked up a Ruger American .270 Win for under $300 on sale. My scope was over twice the cost of the rifle, but all-in still under $1000......it's a tack-driver. And this was the most expensive rifle setup I've ever owned....LOL. I've killed many elk and deer with rifle/scope setups that were under $750. But I also haven't been shopping or even looking much post-covid. But ya, there's need.......and then there's want. But even then.....that "need" part is still blurry. Definitely first world problems.
First world problems for sure lol.

I’m good with going with less into a rifle, then I go down the rabbit hole including the classifieds and see some “shiny” stuff that gets me every time lol. I think I often start going down the path of shaving weight and less weight equals more money.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’m good with going with less into a rifle, then I go down the rabbit hole including the classifieds and see some “shiny” stuff that gets me every time lol. I think I often start going down the path of shaving weight and less weight equals more money.
I've been fine tuning what my actual useful gear is every year since I started hunting big game in 1980. Every year I seemed to find something that needed an upgrade or improvement. If guys today had to use what I started with back then, they wouldn't even bother going. They'd give up hunting in a heartbeat. Seems like almost everything weighed several times over what stuff does today. So something considered "heavy" these days is all relative IMO.

And base layers were those old waffled "cotton" long johns of decades past. What a travesty those were. Ya, lots of changes over the years. But for the last 10 or so, I haven't changed much at all. It's all pretty dialed in, efficient, and useful. I'm frugal by nature. Shiny objects don't excite me at all.......it's all about function and need, and I know what works for me and what doesn't. But ya......it's taken quite awhile, and trial and error getting to that point. It takes a LOT for something to impress me.