K2 Exo’s comparable to MR guide lite frame?

Been debating buying a 2020 Mystery Ranch Beartooth for quite sometime however, occasionally I’ve been seeing the Exo Mt K2 3500 or 4800 (used) for about the same price as a Beartooth (new w/discount).

Are the K2 Exo models still leaps & bounds compared to the new MR Beartooth on the guide lite frame? Thanks in advance!

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I've recently been side-by-side testing the Exo K3 4800 on its Spyder frame and the 2020 MR Marshall on the new Guide Light MT frame which would be the same frame for that Beartooth you're looking at. I'm tall and trim, FYI. Tested, both in bag and in load shelves, at weights of 20lb, 30lb, 60lb and 100lb (not at much distance on that one). I'd say for my body the two were pretty comparable. The Exo lumbar pad was a bit more comfortable, but I had inserted an extra lumbar insert in it. Shoulder straps, hip belt comfort were similar. Both load shelves about equal in terms of ease of use. Materials both heavy duty, shouldn't have any issues with durability. I will say the Exo felt like it strapped down/secured the weight a bit closer to my center of gravity which helps ( was using the crib load panel), but the MR wasn't off by much. I think you can't go wrong with either, though of course each person fits packs differently which is why these threads are always only so helpful.

OP
Tips n Tails
That’s a great review and reply. Thank you for your time and energy typing that up!

Any hot spots with 60 or 100 lbs on your back or shoulders wearing the Marshall? Which one did you go with?

I've recently been side-by-side testing the Exo K3 4800 on its Spyder frame and the 2020 MR Marshall on the new Guide Light MT frame which would be the same frame for that Beartooth you're looking at. I'm tall and trim, FYI. Tested, both in bag and in load shelves, at weights of 20lb, 30lb, 60lb and 100lb (not at much distance on that one). I'd say for my body the two were pretty comparable. The Exo lumbar pad was a bit more comfortable, but I had inserted an extra lumbar insert in it. Shoulder straps, hip belt comfort were similar. Both load shelves about equal in terms of ease of use. Materials both heavy duty, shouldn't have any issues with durability. I will say the Exo felt like it strapped down/secured the weight a bit closer to my center of gravity which helps ( was using the crib load panel), but the MR wasn't off by much. I think you can't go wrong with either, though of course each person fits packs differently which is why these threads are always only so helpful.
this is pretty much spot on. all I can add is my perspective, and that is the EXO is a little more comfortable without a heavy load (just normal daily gear) and the MR is more durable.... I say a good amount more durable judging noticeable wear on each after a year, but not a game changer by any stretch.

they are pretty comparable, and both excellent.... if a little more durable is important, then MR, if a little lighter and more comfortable, EXO.... can't go wrong either way.

i'm getting a kifaru when they open back up, my main reason is I like forming my own opinions on gear. I have used EXO and MR a good deal, like them both a lot. I have packed one bull with a kifaru, and it wasn't my pack or set up exactly how it would be if it was mine, that's my only gauge on kifaru, and it carried nice but not as a standout. I'm getting one here soon because they are obviously in the top of that industry, and i'm curious about them.... hoping I like it and keep it, but if not, i'll sell it and get another EXO or MR.