Kaibab or Viper HD

crumy

WKR
in lieu of a spotting scope I am looking at the Kaibab or Viper HD in the 15x model. I am headed this way mainly because majority of my hunting will be in treeline and only open area will be for speed goats with ocassional trips to western wy where a spotter would be ideal, but not worth the money to use a week out of the year for one trip.

I have a pair of 10x42 leupolds now and they do ok but was thinking about some better glass was set on a razor hd spotting scope but talked myself out of it. So my question to you all is. Is there a 700 diff between Kaibabs and the Viper HD.

I am not set on these models so if you have some other ideas bring those up too.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I got my hands on some 15x56 Kaibab's at SHOT and they are a really nice glass. Obviously didn't get to use them outside, but was impressed. I'm trying to get some to test.

I've owned 15's in other brands for years and they are simply a great way to glass.

JNDEER

WKR
If memory serves me correct. BB has said he was not impressed with the Viper HD's and preffered the Kaibabs.

Hardstalk

WKR
If memory serves me correct. BB has said he was not impressed with the Viper HD's and preffered the Kaibabs.

One thing to keep in mind that I may say quite often (no offense JNDEER) and hopefully BB agrees with me. Your eyes and the trained eyes of a seasoned optical scientist (BB) are two different things entirely. What his pupils see and consider unworthy im typically ecstatic about. Let your eyes decide what glass they like.

blb078

WKR
I just did a lot of research on optics before I went w/my Zen Rays. When you get to the range of the Vipers the difference between them and the high end stuff isn't worth it for a non expert in optics like myself. Yeah the high end stuff is better but often times not twice as good as some of the prices are. BB did say the Kaibabs were better but I also believe he stated the Vipers weren't bad. My two scents, unless you're an optics expert who can tell the differences between a mid range and high end I'd save the cash and go with the Vipers.

JNDEER

WKR
One thing to keep in mind that I may say quite often (no offense JNDEER) and hopefully BB agrees with me. Your eyes and the trained eyes of a seasoned optical scientist (BB) are two different things entirely. What his pupils see and consider unworthy im typically ecstatic about. Let your eyes decide what glass they like.

Non taken. I agree 100%. I suppose someone could always come on to every post about "which bino...." and ensure that the person asking knows that the best bino is through the "eyes of the beholder".... That being said I think what I remember reading from BB (and it may have been on multiple sites) was that he truly thought the Vipers were no where to par with the kaibabs and were a dissapointment.......or something like that.

Crumy, I will be doing the same kind of hunting and I am curious why the 10x didn't workout. I have been going back and fourth between 12's and 10's. I am with you on the spotter. I don't really think it's necessary to spend the extra cash for a spotter in this kind of hunting.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
For 80% of the hunting here. 10s do good. but there are some areas you can get back into that having a little extra would be nice. More than once, I have stretched the limits of my glass. Besides it is the lower end binos.. I paid around 200 for them 3 years ago so I am looking for a good upgrade. Around area 11 for elk and 64 for deer is some open country as some examples I will also be doing some hunting western wyoming and longer distances would be nice, but just don't need it all the time. So i guess I am looking for that in between. I want to have enough for long glassing but still be useful for majority of my hunting needs.

That makes sense. I am in the same boat as you. I usually hunt 100 for elk at least for someone in my family. We hunt 107 for antelope and that is some long distance glassing. I am considering 12's but I think 10's may be okay for the weight difference.