Kaibab vs Vulture: The Definitive Review

So I had a chance to get out and use them briefly over the weekend. Unfortunately my buddies style of hunting did not lend itself to my style of patience and glassing. However brief it was, here are my initial thoughts. Definitely made for a tripod. Very heavy compared to my Vortex Spotter. But not a showstopper. The HD glass is sensitive to movement but can be used free-handed for quick glances and panning if you aren't looking for detail and looking within a few hundred yards while on the move.

I don't carry nearly the weight I do in the elkwoods while hunting open country mule deer. I can carry them under the lid of my Kifaru BT1 or strap to the caribeaners attached to the top of the lid and use them on the move for brief glassing without the weight around my neck. I had an extra quick connect for my spotter. 1 for the window mount and 1 for the tripod so that worked out. The heavy binos are definitely made with a tripod in mind.

So I did have a chance to find deer at great distances. Having vision with both eyes is a huge plus for me. I'm not sure I would have seen some of these deer with the spotter. The heat waves weren't nearly as bad as my spotter and was able to see deer at a greater distance. The sacrifice is the weight, but a sacrifice I'm willing to take. The eye strain with a spotter gave me headaches at times the past couple years. I think it will be a non issue with the binos. The HD glass is far superior to my aging spotter, and any binos I've owned in the past. Other than that, I'm definitely excited to give them a harder look in weeks leading up to my hunt in January.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback. You’re already seeing the power of both-eyes-open! Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so this past weekend I was able to put them to the test while scouting for my January open country deer hunt. This time it was not just spotting from the truck. I grabbed the tripod and hiked the high plains desert and glassed from high points. Now that the rut is in full swing, and temps mild to cool or cold, there is alot more daylight activity. My glass sessions are eye stress free. I will not go back to carrying a spotter.

I saw so many mule deer and the glass is so much better than the old Vortex Nomad scope. I was able to define what are actual 150 or smaller vs 160-180 bucks from a very long ways out. No headaches or eye strain. I also found a way to attach them to my pack so I don't have the weight pulling down on my neck as I'm hiking, yet they are ready for action immediately while hiking. The only thing I don't like about them is the tripod connector. It's a pain in the ass to attach and detatch, but a pain in the ass I'm willing to deal with as I'm not hurrying anyway when setting up for a glassing session.

So bottom line is not only the bottom line for less than$500, but for that price, the glass is exceptional compared to my binos of the past. Thumbs up for me :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. You’re already seeing the power of both-eyes-open! Keep us posted.

Have you ever looked through the nikon monarch 5 16x56? I was going to get a pair of the vultures, but I stumbled upon a deal to good to pass up on the Nikon's. Still waiting on them to come in. Just wondering how they compare.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so this past weekend I was able to put them to the test while scouting for my January open country deer hunt. This time it was not just spotting from the truck. I grabbed the tripod and hiked the high plains desert and glassed from high points. Now that the rut is in full swing, and temps mild to cool or cold, there is alot more daylight activity. My glass sessions are eye stress free. I will not go back to carrying a spotter.

I saw so many mule deer and the glass is so much better than the old Vortex Nomad scope. I was able to define what are actual 150 or smaller vs 160-180 bucks from a very long ways out. No headaches or eye strain. I also found a way to attach them to my pack so I don't have the weight pulling down on my neck as I'm hiking, yet they are ready for action immediately while hiking. The only thing I don't like about them is the tripod connector. It's a pain in the ass to attach and detatch, but a pain in the ass I'm willing to deal with as I'm not hurrying anyway when setting up for a glassing session.

So bottom line is not only the bottom line for less than$500, but for that price, the glass is exceptional compared to my binos of the past. Thumbs up for me :)
Hey man, thanks for the write up on your experiences. I’m sure that’s gonna help some guys get into the big binocular game. Glad you found value in those Vultures. I’m a believer that you’re better off being in the 15 game with lower glass, they’re not being in it at all. Good luck out there

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever looked through the nikon monarch 5 16x56? I was going to get a pair of the vultures, but I stumbled upon a deal to good to pass up on the Nikon's. Still waiting on them to come in. Just wondering how they compare.
Hi, I have not been able to try those 15x Nikons. Wish I had a better answer for you man. However, knowing what I’ve seen from other Nikon’s I’ve used, I’m sure it’s a safe bet.

Maybe just make sure they have a good return policy so you can actually get them in your hands before fully committing. It would be worth even paying return shipping if you decided you didn’t like them.

Hey man, thanks for the write up on your experiences. I’m sure that’s gonna help some guys get into the big binocular game. Glad you found value in those Vultures. I’m a believer that you’re better off being in the 15 game with lower glass, they’re not being in it at all. Good luck out there

This is the country I hunt deer in. You can see why "big glass" could be a game changer. With the 10x42's I used to carry, I never would have seen these deer. With the Vulchure's I was able to pick them out and move in for a closer look. And being that I am an equal opportunity killer, I would kill that buck in a heartbeat if the opportunity presents ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20191222_142035769.jpg
    IMG_20191222_142035769.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20191221_143902433_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191221_143902433_HDR.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Oregon1

FNG
Couldn’t be more pleased with my kiabab 18x56s. Total game changer in my opinion and very comfortable to look through for long sessions on a tri pod.
8145d34688f5978446db0ac2070ea81f.jpg
2400 yards with my phone zoomed all the way in glassing bulls.

Capizzo

FNG
Got a chance to get these for a small fee. Would you take these over the older generation 11x33x50 spotter? Looking to replace my 20x60x80 that i never carry bc of the weight 😂 or save up for the 13x39? @robby denning

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got a chance to get these for a small fee. Would you take these over the older generation 11x33x50 spotter? Looking to replace my 20x60x80 that i never carry bc of the weight 😂 or save up for the 13x39? @robby denning
Hi. Are you asking if it’s a choice between 15x binos and a compact spotter?

Capizzo

FNG
Hi. Are you asking if it’s a choice between 15x binos and a compact spotter?
Yeah I was searching threads last night and I think I found a few older threads on it. But yes, it seems maybe people say to go with a 65mm sized spotter over one of the baby razors? Mostly solo backpack hunt. I always carry my tripod for my 10x42s. And sometimes bring the 85mm but it seems to stay in the truck more often than not. but yeah basically wanting to save a couple pounds and have the option to look at something more closely here and there and would bring the baby razor more often than I do the big 85mm was my thought. But then a pair of vultures popped up on marketplace for 250$ which brought me to this thread 🤔

rcook10

WKR
Yeah I was searching threads last night and I think I found a few older threads on it. But yes, it seems maybe people say to go with a 65mm sized spotter over one of the baby razors? Mostly solo backpack hunt. I always carry my tripod for my 10x42s. And sometimes bring the 85mm but it seems to stay in the truck more often than not. but yeah basically wanting to save a couple pounds and have the option to look at something more closely here and there and would bring the baby razor more often than I do the big 85mm was my thought. But then a pair of vultures popped up on marketplace for 250$ which brought me to this thread 🤔

I think for eye strain reduction and comfort for long time behind glass it is really hard to beat a set of high power binos for hunting. Unless you are really chasing giants and inches you're gonna know if what you're looking at is worth going after or at least getting a closer look at. With a digiscoping set up they are very functional at nearly two miles in my neck of the woods.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I was searching threads last night and I think I found a few older threads on it. But yes, it seems maybe people say to go with a 65mm sized spotter over one of the baby razors? Mostly solo backpack hunt. I always carry my tripod for my 10x42s. And sometimes bring the 85mm but it seems to stay in the truck more often than not. but yeah basically wanting to save a couple pounds and have the option to look at something more closely here and there and would bring the baby razor more often than I do the big 85mm was my thought. But then a pair of vultures popped up on marketplace for 250$ which brought me to this thread
a 15x will not take the place of a spotter to me. Two different animals.

If I can't run both, I ditch the 15x and run a spotter.

Now you just need to decide on compact vs full size spotter. That sweet spot of the new 56mm in Swaro' and Vortex Razor is where it's at for me. Loved my Nikon ED 50 and while it's lighter, it's not going on any hunts anymore.

Things have changed in the last few years.

but @rcook10 offers a great compromise, but it's still not a spotter