Kamchatka Snow Sheep Back From the Taxidermist

Just up on the wall today from my August 2019 hunt. Worth the wait as I think it turned out exceptionally well. Very happy as it is a worthy tribute to one of the greatest hunting adventures of my life. A lot of fond memories of the hunt and folks I shared it with. Feel very fortunate to have done it as who knows if/when it may ever open up again. Just thought I’d share it with the gang here on Rokslide.

E3CCCE6A-1952-479E-AF08-90DC135206C5.jpegC93F9A31-0D3D-4519-8051-1F8488E7A7EF.jpeg

Just up on the wall today from my August 2019 hunt. Worth the wait as I think it turned out exceptionally well. Very happy as it is a worthy tribute to one of the greatest hunting adventures of my life. A lot of fond memories of the hunt and folks I shared it with. Feel very fortunate to have done it as who knows if/when it may ever open up again. Just thought I’d share it with the gang here on Rokslide.

View attachment 418891View attachment 418892
That’s an awesome mount! Would love to hear about the adventure. Do you have a write up from the past you can link? Also, why is it closed? Is the war or something else? I speak Russian and would consider doing this in the future if the timing was right.

OP
Spiral Horn
Here is a post I made to the Sheep Meatpole back in 2019. I did a write-up on the hunt that was published in Grand Slam Magazine.

As far as current opportunities for hunting in Russia - while it may or may not be still technically open to entry by USA Citizens it is very uncertain they’d grant a tourist visa at this time. Even if a tourist visa was granted, don’t know how an American would travel there - even if one could, it would be extremely complicated due to closure of US and many other countries airspace to Russian airlines. Getting back out and re-routed home would be equally complex. Although I would love to return and hunt other sheep species (and had already planned to), things are just too risky and uncertain right now. Uncertain about other specific legalities and prohibitions for USA citizens at this time.

Don‘t want the thread hijacked and just wanted to share the results of a spectacular adventure a few years back in the Russian Far East. It was a great trip, I love the mount, and sincerely hope I have the opportunity to return there for Yakutia or other sheep someday.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Special hunt and adventure. You have to go when these opportunities are available. Many special hunts are now closed indefinitely .

Here is a post I made to the Sheep Meatpole back in 2019. I did a write-up on the hunt that was published in Grand Slam Magazine.

As far as current opportunities for hunting in Russia - while it may or may not be still technically open to entry by USA Citizens it is very uncertain they’d grant a tourist visa at this time. Even if a tourist visa was granted, don’t know how an American would travel there - even if one could, it would be extremely complicated due to closure of US and many other countries airspace to Russian airlines. Getting back out and re-routed home would be equally complex. Although I would love to return and hunt other sheep species (and had already planned to), things are just too risky and uncertain right now. Uncertain about other specific legalities and prohibitions for USA citizens at this time.

Don‘t want the thread hijacked and just wanted to share the results of a spectacular adventure a few years back in the Russian Far East. It was a great trip, I love the mount, and sincerely hope I have the opportunity to return there for Yakutia or other sheep someday.
Thanks for the detailed reply! Beautiful sheep and mount. Looking forward to reading the write-up you linked!

CHL

Lil-Rokslider

Beautiful ram man! Really cool mount too. Who did your taxidermy?

OP
Spiral Horn
Beautiful ram man! Really cool mount too. Who did your taxidermy?
Thanks. Been lucky to have a few excellent taxidermists in my network. Steve Barrett, Critter Creations Taxidermy in Chambersburg, PA did this piece. He‘s done a couple of sheep, brown bear, Big 5, and others for me and I half expect each of them to flick an ear or blink when admiring them. Hopefully, I’ll be sending him another sheep someday 🤞

Last edited:
Reactions: CHL
Fantastic sheep! Damn shame Russia isnt going to be an option for who knows how long. Glad you got to get out there and do it.

Care to post some pictures on this thread from the hunt?