Kansas 2021 bout to kick off!

Drew another tag for 2021. Hunting units 8,9 in north central Kansas. Weather is looking great fo the first 10 days I’ll be up. I’ll be leaving hopefully Tuesday night and drive the 12 hours straight my through. Maybe I won’t need that many days but I’ll burn them and some more if I have to! Anyone else going to kansas? Or anyone know the area and the typical rut there. I killed a 139” in the first week of November last year. Around the 5th I think. It was hot too. I had been there about 7 days. Didn’t seem like the rut got going good until the 7th or 8th. Trying the saddle style hunting this year so it’s gonna be burning boot leather and pushing into some thick stuff. Hopefully I find them in the bottoms and thick stuff and not out in the open areas running doe. Plan is to find the old mature guy that never leaves the dense crap that no one ever wants to hunt in. We will see how long that plan lasts. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in south central Nebraska, rut typically starts around Nov 7th to 10th ish for actual chasing. But Halloween is the kickoff bucks starting to cruise and look for hot does.

This is the best time to be in the woods with a Bow because the big boys are on their feet moving during the day and looking for that first hot doe

kda082

WKR
Good luck guys. Heading out in a few with my son. I shot my buck after a rain on the 27th, but usually take a week around Veteran’s day and see good activity.

baz77

WKR
We went 3/5 on bucks for on our hunt all public land ...everyone had an opportunity at a pope and young caliber deer. The pressure on the walk in lands was insane nothing like I had seen in my previous 5 trips to the same area. Overall we had a good trip but I feel like its time to move on to greener pastures for my rut hunt away from home.

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
We went 3/5 on bucks for on our hunt all public land ...everyone had an opportunity at a pope and young caliber deer. The pressure on the walk in lands was insane nothing like I had seen in my previous 5 trips to the same area. Overall we had a good trip but I feel like its time to move on to greener pastures for my rut hunt away from home.
That's not what I wanted to hear. I'm headed up today for the first time this year. Hopefully it isnt to busy.

OP
ddavis_1313
Goose egg for this guy. Saw some deer, coulda punched a doe tag, but passed. Was tough hunting and lots of pressure for sure. If you found deer sign, there were people hunting them. Not only hunting them but hunting the absolute worst winds for the location as well. I too will be rethinking if I go back and where. Getting away from people is impossible. Ran into a group that was hiking miles to spots.

Goose egg for this guy. Saw some deer, coulda punched a doe tag, but passed. Was tough hunting and lots of pressure for sure. If you found deer sign, there were people hunting them. Not only hunting them but hunting the absolute worst winds for the location as well. I too will be rethinking if I go back and where. Getting away from people is impossible. Ran into a group that was hiking miles to spots.

This sucks to hear, especially when you take time away from work and family to hunt - I have been wanting to try an archery hunt in Kansas but might need to reconsider. I had a similar experience last year in SD.

jhemphunt

FNG
I think its time that they started to reel back the NR deer tags in Kansas, both archery and rifle. The public land is overrun with people compared to even 5 years ago let alone 10 years ago when it seemed to all start getting crazy...all the good walk-in spots that we hunted in the past are all locked up by leases now...just my 2 cents worth.