Kansas DIY

Whip

WKR
A buddy and I have decided to go ahead and apply for whitetails in Kansas. I've hunted it once before and did find deer on public land and a couple of Walk In areas and we may take that approach again. But wondering how difficult it might be to obtain permission on private ground. I'm retired, so a preseason trip to look for a spot like that is a possibility if it seems like there might be a reasonable chance of finding something good. We would be open to paying trespass fees if that's what it takes.

We're applying in units 7 & 8, and I know there is a bunch of good looking land in those areas, but not sure if family, friends and outfitters tend to have all of the good ground locked up.

Another option I've looked at is a membership in Mid America Hunting Association. If anyone has any knowledge or feedback about them, got our bad, I'd sure love to hear about it.

Worst case is we hunt public again, and we're OK with that if need be but would like to explore other options to see if we can get access to some quality ground.

I’m from western KS, so not the classic whitetail country. Those units are great areas. You can get permission, but it’s pretty limited and the best ground is usually leased or tied up somehow. It can’t hurt to be polite and reach out. You never know what you might come across when you ask! Just remember they’re doing you a service. Repay that favor however you can and might score a friend long term. Good luck!

*zap*

WKR
I have found there is too much drama when I get involved in 'permission' ground so I just hunt the public. Best of luck too you.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Good point zap. Kansas does sure have some better public access ground than most. We may very well end up doing that. Just not sure a separate scouting trip to pound on doors would have a chance of turning up anything any better. Might be better off making the trip but using the time to explore public areas.

Thess87

WKR
I’m in SE Kansas and around this part of the state it seems very hard to find new ground to get permission on, either leased or people already hunting it. Most of the ground I hunt I’ve been hunting since I was 12. I have found it alittle easier in western Kansas. Good luck.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
In studying the maps for WIHA combined with WMA's and other public land it sure looks like there are more options than we could explore. Any feedback on the amount of hunting pressure & quality of animals on those areas?
The one time I did hunt there we found a spot that hadn't been open to public hunting previously but of course that was a one time deal. It was really good, but now has been a few years and not sure if would be as great once the gun hunters have had a few cracks at it.

Thanks for the feedback!

*zap*

WKR
For a person who does not personally know any landowners free access to real quality ground is not very likely. At best you may find some ground that has a lot of others hunting it. My experience with wiha during rut has not been good but that is only in my area. Way too many wanna B outfitters/wanna B tv show 'hosts' have the private ground locked up. I think it is pretty much pay to play anymore.....I do not tell anyone where I hunt on the public land anymore because they will move right in....a spot can be real good one season but people see you going in there and then next season the activity is much different.....gearing up to go in or at the vehicle leaving anyone that is there is generally wanting to know where you hunted and how it was.....:love: Lots of walkers close to the parking areas......you know, walking around hunters. Blows everything out...
If I was hunting public in rut I would stay on the larger areas, look for bow only and then walk in deep, walk slow and watch for cruising bucks...you see one and there should be more using the same trail. Glass as you walk in and go slow while paying attention to sign/activity. Any sign in the open or close to parking is going to be sign that is created in the dark. Before I would waste any time/money/effort coming before season to scout I would come and hunt after September when the season is open.
Personally, I believe that Missouri has much better public hunting opportunities and for sure more bow only areas. OTC tags that are reasonable cost.

Good luck.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Thanks - good insight, and the kind of info I'm looking for even though it might not be what I wanted to hear. As for scouting, yes, I would plan on doing it in season and incorporate a little hunting at the same time. If I had planned ahead I might have made a trip this spring combined with turkeys but I would have wanted that a little earlier so things weren't already greened up. Should have started this planning long ago - it was kind of a last minute decision when other plans for the fall unraveled.

I see your in NE Kansas. I assume that pressure is worse the closer to KC you are and is one reason we were thinking to go a little further west. There still will be some competition though I'm sure.

*zap*

WKR
I hear the pressure is bad but I do what I can to avoid it. Scouting out of rut can be a waste because as I mentioned everything can go to chit fast if people pressure is applied to an area. Most folks stay within 1/2 mile of where they park. If you want to call to discuss things in general I can make myself available. Your choice.

Zap is sharing some words of wisdom. The other thing I might add is looking to hunting pre rut. Late Oct bucks will be moving and generally less pressure. Beat the crowds that hunt the November time. Might get you a little more peace and quiet.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
There's a thought that I hadn't considered, but something to consider. Peak rut here in WI is 1st week in November and we want to be home for that. We had been talking about 2nd- 3rd week of November in Kansas since it seems dutifully runs just a bit later there. Hadn't even considered late October, but will certainly give it some thought.
Thanks!
Zap, I'd sure appreciate the chance to talk. I'll send you a PM.

Rich M

WKR
Talk to Zap - he knows what he's talking about.

I have family in KS and an open invite. I just wonder if it is worth it with the NR fees and influx of NR hunters where my nephew hunts - he says the NRs have increased quite a bit over the past couple of years. Be a neat adventure. Just need to decide if it is a visit family trip and hunt some kind of trip or a hunting trip...

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted those units a number of times. I've had success on the WIHAs but have run into a lot of other hunters. It all depends on when you go. If you're wanting to hunt the rut expect to see other hunters. If you're willing to hunt other times the numbers aren't bad at all. I've hunted the early season without ever seeing another hunter. I've never asked for permission but have had locals offer their land unsolicited. That being said, it was never the best land and I always ended up going back to WIHA. Just have multiple options and definitely check them all out in person. It's a trip to Kansas, so regardless of the outcome, it's going to be a good one. I love Kansas.

TexAg07

FNG
If I had planned ahead I might have made a trip this spring combined with turkeys

I did exactly that this Spring and it just so happened to be all over 7 and 8. We hit up WIHA's exclusively and have several book marked on my onx that looked like spots we wanted to come back to for whitetails. I won't be headed there this year though as I have a 6 month old and a 4 year old and already doing a trip to Colorado for Elk and I would like to stay married so only one out of state trip for me this fall :). Shoot me a PM, I don't mind sending you some waypoints and if they are helpful to you maybe you can send me your recon notes after you succeed this fall for me to use down the road!