Kansas Either Deer Species Mule Deer

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
Found out that I drew a either species deer rifle tag yesterday . Glad that I bought a lifetime hunting license before leaving Kansas. Got a buddy that has family ground near Sharon Springs with a lot of mulies on it! Can’t wait!!

Also booked a hunt in Sonora Mexico for mule deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck! I keep forgetting to put in the Kansas draw for mule deer
Its jacked up for non-residents. You have to draw a $500 deer tag just to be in the draw for the mule deer stamp. if you don’t plan to hunt whitetail if you don’t draw the stamp, it’s a really bad investment

Its jacked up for non-residents. You have to draw a $500 deer tag just to be in the draw for the mule deer stamp. if you don’t plan to hunt whitetail if you don’t draw the stamp, it’s a really bad investment
I’m resident. So I only need to apply for rifle; which I always forget

OP
Pk_in_Dallas

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I think you can always go buy an OTC ML tag. That's what I had to do year 1 and 3 hunting out there, when it was harder to draw a rifle tag.

The only problem with a mulie ML tag is the crops are still in the field and it’s normally way too hot. I do know a few people that have had success but seems like it is much easier with a rifle cause it’s cooler and they are much easier to see in December vs September.

Last edited:
OP
Pk_in_Dallas

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider

You can only hunt mule deer as a non resident with a bow or ml and have to put in for the draw. The advantage to this would be if you knew someone in Kansas that has a lot of private land to access and you were a bow hunter. This would give you a edge as the tag is much easier to get versus other states for mule deer. Most of Western public mule deer areas are pounded and big mule deer are few and far between.

LFC911

WKR
The only problem with a mulie ML tag is the crops are still in the field and it’s normally way too hot. I do know a few people that have had success but seems like it is much easier with a rifle causes it’s cooler and they are much easier to see in December vs September.

You can use the ML tag in December also

LFC911

WKR
You can only hunt mule deer as a non resident with a bow or ml and have to put in for the draw. The advantage to this would be if you knew someone in Kansas that has a lot of private land to access and you were a bow hunter. This would give you a edge as the tag is much easier to get versus other states for mule deer. Most of Western public mule deer areas are pounded and big mule deer are few and far between.

PK with all the WIHA land in KS, I would argue that you could be just as successful with a ML as a rifle, especially with some of the new 200 and 300 yard ML's out there today and the ability to use scopes. Maybe not a trophy but you'd definitely have a great time and meat in the freezer. In all my years of hunting western KS, the majority of my shots have been in that 100 yards range, with the exception of last year at 450 yads with my 7mm Rem Mag.

OP
Pk_in_Dallas

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
PK with all the WIHA land in KS, I would argue that you could be just as successful with a ML as a rifle, especially with some of the new 200 and 300 yard ML's out there today and the ability to use scopes. Maybe not a trophy but you'd definitely have a great time and meat in the freezer. In all my years of hunting western KS, the majority of my shots have been in that 100 yards range, with the exception of last year at 450 yads with my 7mm Rem Mag.

Thats true. I know that these new generation muzzleloaders and high BC bullets extend your range quite a bit. I stand corrected. I for whatever reason thought muzzleloader season was only the 3rd week of September. I didn’t realize you could use it in during rifle.

marktole

WKR

The only way this tag is much easier to get vs other western states is if you’re a resident.