Kansas Opening day buck, 162 3/8" BC

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
A bit more on the story, been traveling back, two days by car, so I've been busy catching up. Hunted extended family farm in NE Kansas, about 350 acres but lots of land adjoining that our farmer manages. Over three days hunting, didn't hear another shot. Hunted with FIL and his adult grandson opening day 11/30. "Grandson" opened fire, three shots form a 30-30, on a doe which he connected about 7:20 AM. I was in a field over, about 200 yards so figured my hunt may be over form the commotion. I was hunting from three hay bails arranged with a spot in the middle but couldn't really see sitting so stood most of the time. Saw a 140 class 8 but could only see his head, while watching, the buck I killed came into view, they were both just inside the timber and presented no shot at 125 yards, both wandered off. Minutes later, a doe came into view, while watching her, the buck came back. I know immediately he was one I wanted so I grabbed my rifle, rested it on the hay bail and fired. At the shot, he stiffened for a moment and the collapsed, not a step (308 165 Hornady Spire Point - exited). I was elated, thought he was a good mature 8 (from the side the G4s look like the main beam). I was figuring a 150 class buck but was thrilled when I walked up and saw the points and mass, truly a buck-of-a-lifetime. This was the first time I hunted the farm, didn't draw last year, my goal was a mature buck by age, not rack. Needless to say I consider myself very fortunate and thankful. Sat with FIL trying to help him fill his tag but he couldn't get on the deer when he needed to. I had a doe tag so I hunted a couple more days really to scout for next year. Saw a few smaller bucks and one heart-stopper 150 class 8 that will haunt my dreams, a real beauty. I shot this buck less than one hour into the hunt, overall a great trip with family and a 2600 mile drive RT. I've hunted all of my life and realize things don't always go as planned and you just have to go with the flow, this is one of those trips that everything aligned and for that I'm thankful!

PS: What made this even more satisfying is that I shot the buck with my first DIY rifle and new suppresser (Defiance Tenacity/Proof pre-fit, McMillan).