Kansas question

Headed out to Kansas for a diy bow hunt. Same spot of have been for last 10 years. I love the hunting there and terrain. Unit 12 greenwood county. I all ready know what trees I will hang a stand in from previous hunts. My question is for the guys that have hunted the in between spot of stand hunting and spot and stalk places. I want to try a spot and stalk on them at least once this year when I go. I am from Mississippi so stand hunting is all I know. I have had success before but just want to try a different approach. All I know is study maps for draws funnels bedding areas and so on. I place a stand and sit. A lot of the terrain is open prairie and I want to know how to hunt that but have no idea where to begin. Again I repeat I have my own spots I am looking for tutoring on spot and stalk. Thanks guys!

AARONB

FNG
Try it out! You may find out you prefer this more aggressive style of hunting compared to sitting in a tree waiting for a deer to come by. I sometimes enjoy sitting in a tree and relaxing but I see and shoot more deer hunting from ground. Aggressiveness will get you close to deer, then patience will provide you a shot opportunity.

OP
F
Try it out! You may find out you prefer this more aggressive style of hunting compared to sitting in a tree waiting for a deer to come by. I sometimes enjoy sitting in a tree and relaxing but I see and shoot more deer hunting from ground. Aggressiveness will get you close to deer, then patience will provide you a shot opportunity.
I agree with what you but say for instance it’s say 10 am. What areas would you begin to look for on a stalk. The deer in Kansas are so much different than eastern deer. I really have no clue what a first move is on a spot and stalk.

AARONB

FNG
If you're going to be hunting the rut, they can be anywhere. I usually just take off walking, trying to keep the wind in my favor, and glass often. A lot of times bucks will lock down with a doe on high ground or minimal cover. That way they can see any other bucks approaching. If the weather is really windy, they may seek cover in low areas.

kahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Spot and stalk is a blast, but you just have to be patient and train yourself to move slower and quieter than normal. Getting in range of a deer on the ground this way is a rush though!

kahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I need to get some better high power optics for glassing. The 8X Binos can only do so much.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Starting at 10am will greatly reduce your chances of finding a bedded buck. What I do is spend mornings glassing and locating areas that bucks went into. They rarely bed in the wide open to be easily seen. If you know what pocket of trees or what drainage they went into, you can usually get within a couple hundred yards and wait. They will stand up from their beds a couple times a day to reposition, then you locate their exact spot. After that it’s game on for the stalk. If all this doesn’t work out then it’s time to head to the stand for an evening sit.
This is all for whitetail hunting. Muleys can be easier glassed mid day

Make sure you have plenty of ground to cover. Still hunting the same areas will put enough pressure on stuff to push them out, or atleast have them on edge.