Kansas road kill from several years ago!

What would you have done?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A road killed deer, not hunter harvested. Here is the story........
A friend of mine called me up one evening and wanted me to come take a look at something, I quizzed him for more info as I had things to do. He told me that I needed to see a roadkilled deer he had at his house. He said it was big. At that time he worked for the state department of transportation, and that day he was a flagman on a local highway. While standing and talking with the driver of first car in line, he hears a thud farther down the line a few cars. He looks up and this deer is stumbling off the road where it falls and dies. The old couple in the car that the deer ran into the side of say they don't want or need it. So my friend gets a salvage tag from law enforcement and claims this buck. Alls well that ends well right? Not so fast!

A very few people knew about this buck, fewer knew of the size and what it looked like. I took a couple of pictures and a gopro video of it in my friends garage, but I refused to publish it anywhere at the time, honoring my friends request to, "keep it under my hat". Within a couple of days, my friend started telling me about phone calls he was receiving from individuals all over the country that had somehow heard about this buck. According to my friend, he was offered money by several people that called, with the top offer at $60,000 for the head.

Meanwhile, he also hears about a fella that had this buck targeted for harvest that year. We all know the guy as we all went through school together a year apart. He is a great outdoorsman, knows what he is doing around big game. My friend was starting to get tired of all the "attention", and was really wanting to be done with the buck. So what do you think he did with it? What would you have done with it? Kept it for yourself? Sold it?

My Friend gave it to the guy that was working on harvesting this buck. I was so proud of him. I never knew what it scored, but I have never seen another one like it. It was big, REAL big. Some of them get this big in Kansas.

Thanks for reading this story, Hope your seasons are or have gone well this year!

Attachments

• GOPR0020.JPG
    GOPR0020.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 225
Definitely sell it for 60k then probably give the guy who was after it a mount with the replicas.

Awesome deer!!

There is a reason that guy was working as a flag man on a road project! Not money savvy 😂. Easy to sell it for 60k and buy the other dude a reproduction if he really wanted to be nice.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Good on him for giving it to the guy, but I wouldn’t feel like I needed to do that. Plenty of deer that I’ve targeted and not gotten and don’t feel they should be given to me. Letting the other guy at least see it and lay hands on it would be good though. That said, pretty awesome he did what HE thought was right rather than take the money. There are things more important than money, and doing what a person feels is right is one of those things. Has nothing to do with being money savvy.
I would’ve personally probably sold it. $60k would allow me to take my dad on a hunt of a lifetime and still have plenty left over.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I would of taken the money. Seems to me the guy was in the right place at the right time. Like hitting the lottery.

Squirrels

WKR
I call the bluff on an unaccepted offer of 60k for a deer. I'd sell a deer even I killed for 60k. That's just good fiscal policy.

60k???

I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

I'd donate 50k to conservation organizations.

I might be a jerk but the guy hunting it didn't get it, part of what happens. They get killed by vehicles and other things. Sounds kinda like a participation trophy.

LostArra

WKR
Is it legal to sell a deer head? Is that different than meat?

If so, I would sell
Some guy "targeting" the deer would be a very distant third place in my choices since he would probably sell it anyway.

Rich M

WKR
That's an incredibly big buck.
Would have sold it for $60,000 in a heartbeat.

Can understand giving it to the guy/buddy who was targeting the buck. People do put a lot of emphasis on deer they target, almost like claiming ownership in many cases. Hope the gift is appreciated.