Katabatic Palisade vs. Underground Quilt Bandit

fwafwow

WKR
I'm new to quilts and am looking at them primarily for weight savings. I was leaning towards the Katabatic Palisade but after finding a prior post, I looked at UGQ. I *think* that I've figured out an apples-to-apples comparison between the two: (1) Palisade 6'6" long/wide, 900 fill, and (2) 30* Bandit XL, 60"/78", 950 fill. I'm sure that I've chosen something that isn't comparable, but am I way off base on the following comparisons?
  • UGQ about $100 less
  • Bandit is wider (60" vs 58") - although the Bandit has an even wider (65") option
  • Bandit is lighter (21.7oz vs. 19.86oz), although this could be a difference in footbox or fill
  • Bandit has 950 fill vs. 900 for Palisade - BUT Katabatic offers a hydrophobic option
Let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks!

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
As big guy (tall and fat), I'm of the opinion that wider is better (that and overstuffing is awesome). I have the UGQ Bandit XL and I LOVE mine. The quality is great, the stitching is great, the customer service is great, and the pricing is great.

If you're worried about having hydrophobic down, you can buy Nikwax down treatment from Amazon for about $10 and do it yourself. That's what I did. But I have to tell you, the DWR on the UGQ is remarkable. It took me forever to saturate my quilt in my bathtub.

I don't have any experience with Katabatic, but their reputation is outstanding. So take comfort in knowing that either choice you make, you're going to end up with a great quilt.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
As big guy (tall and fat), I'm of the opinion that wider is better (that and overstuffing is awesome). I have the UGQ Bandit XL and I LOVE mine. The quality is great, the stitching is great, the customer service is great, and the pricing is great.

If you're worried about having hydrophobic down, you can buy Nikwax down treatment from Amazon for about $10 and do it yourself. That's what I did. But I have to tell you, the DWR on the UGQ is remarkable. It took me forever to saturate my quilt in my bathtub.

I don't have any experience with Katabatic, but their reputation is outstanding. So take comfort in knowing that either choice you make, you're going to end up with a great quilt.

Very helpful - thank you!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR

Fwiw, I went with the Katabatic and it is on the way.