Katadyn Hiker water purifier

NJFikkert

FNG
Hey guys, going through old gear and seeing what I can use this fall or what I need to upgrade. I have an old Katadyn Hiker purifier that hasn’t been used in about 10 years. It still seems to flow water fairly well when I pump. The filter is a bit brown but the tap water I ran through tasted fine. And I didn’t die from drinking it. Do you guys think it is still good to use in the backcountry? Will it still filter appropriately?

Thanks.

LaHunter

WKR
Just buy a new replacement filter and new tubing and you should be fine. After 10 years they probably need replacing, especially the brown filter

OP
NJFikkert

NJFikkert

FNG
Well I guess that is the other point. A new filter is almost $50, so at that rate maybe I should just upgrade to the Sawyer system. It’s actually cheaper.

I would not consider the Sawyer an upgrade to a pump filter. Replace the cartridge. I made the mistake 2 years ago not replacing mine. Did not get sick, but the filter plugged up 3 days into my hunt. No amount of back flushing would save it so I had to come out 2 days early as I was out of water. I now carry tablets as a back up. Lesson learned.

OP
NJFikkert

NJFikkert

FNG
Ok, I guess I was hearing good things about the sawyer but perhaps a new filter for my tried and true pump is the way to go. Thanks.

Dooger

FNG
I’d get a Platypus Gravityworks system. You can find them on sale or enter your email on mountaineering sales sites to get good discounts...or wait until the Labor Day sales after you get on mailing lists.