Katadyn MP1 Water Purification Tablets vs. Sawyer Mini Squeeze

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
Two years ago, my son and I went on a 12 day Philmont trek. The first day we had a gear shakedown. The guide looked at my gear and said that I would not be needing my Sawyer Mini or my MSR Gravity Filter, and that we would be using the Katadyn MP1 tablets.

I was really skeptical as I have used the iodine tabs in the past and the water tastes like crap and takes forever.

With the MP1 tablets, there was no taste and it took about 15-20 minutes for the water to be safe. We had 2 adults and 10 boys. Not one of us got sick over the 12 days with lots of water being filtered.

One convenience for the Sawyer is that I can filter the water without having to take my water bladder out of my backpack

For my upcoming elk hunting trip - curious as to why I should not use the MP1 tablets over the Sawyer Mini Squeeze.

Your thoughts?

Generally speaking, chemical purifiers are better for viral/bacterial contaminants and filters are better for protozoa (e.g., giardia and cryptosporidium). Katadyn tablets do claim effectiveness against crypto but require 4 hours to kill it. Freezing is a concern with filters, which can make them a hassle during late season hunts.