Kathoola microspikes vs Hillsound Trail Crampons vs Amazon Cheapos. Test results

mae1993

FNG
So I have been running kathoola microspikes for a couple years. Decided to look at everything else for this winter. Been out almost every day since the first of December guiding lion hunters and so I've had a chance to test several out. Conditions were great this winter. Aka Frozen hillside's bluffs, ice covered creek crossings, shitty snow all the worst stuff. Lol. Great for testing. The thing I was looking for was something more durable because I have cut the Kathoola microspikes rubber band three different times. I've also lost them off my foot in bad brush or deep post holing many a time I finally devised a strap system to keep from losing them. So I found Hillsound trail crampons. So far I am seriously impressed. 1/8 of an inch longer spikes different design that really helps with snowball packing in the right conditions. It kicks out the snowballing a lot easier than the microspikes. Much better bite and better rubber band also comes with a Velcro strap to keep from losing them and a great tough storage sack. The cheapo ones from Amazon have a much thicker rubber band than the microspikes and seem to work pretty good Have only had a couple issues with a link coming undone on the bottom but after I went back through them and crimped them all with a pair of pliers they have not come undone and they're only 26 bucks and they have the velcro strap to keep from losing them. They would work awesome for somebody not using them everyday or needing that extra bite of the Hillsound trail crampons. Hope this helps somebody. Thanks Mike

GotDraw?

WKR
That is great info, thank you!

I have kathoolas, was curious about Hill Sounds, appreciate your analysis. Now I know what I'll get next.

Best,
JL

LostArra

WKR
We had a recent ice storm and I was out walking fences looking for sheds (found one). I used some cheapo REI spikes that worked but I ended up losing one because they would come off when crossing any grassy areas or brush. I am interested in this topic and other's experience.

WCT3

FNG
Has anyone tried the Grivel Explorers? They look just like the Hillsound Trail Crampons without the Velcro strap and a lot cheaper, I found them for $35.