kayak fishing in lake Michigan

finally was able to find a kayak. I plan on fishing in land lakes a lot but I grew up fishing the piers for kings. my question is does anyone fish from there kayak out on Michigan? id only go after a few days of west wind (eastern Wisconsin) so I can find fish in close. but kinda wondering if im missing something cause I feel I don't see people doing it ever?

I have not done that up there...do it down here in texas on the coast using a hobie mirage 14...outriggers are not a bad idea when chop gets bad. If you are getting out much more than a mile I would be wearing a dry suit and that's only if you have experience swimming a mile. Your water temps will suck the life right out of you. Not a problem down here usually. Wear a PFD / Radio the usual. Have a knife sheathed on the PFD in case you get tangled up in line. It's really easy to get dumped when coming back into the beach with waves. once you are out a little ways it is not too bad but if you start getting dragged by a good size fish your hull can get turned and things can go sideways real quick.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of guys on you tube in Wisconsin doing it. I’ve seen tournaments even just for kayaks. I’m working on setting one up to do the same but I will probably try the bays in Lake Huron mainly.

OP
WI in the west
I dont plan on anything crazy, i just got a sundolphin foshing one so thats where ill wait for the waters to cool and when the fish are in closer and the lakes calm.
What are some good ones on you tube to check out if you have any favorites otherwise ill just jump around checking them out

Conroy

WKR
I kayak in the harbor and behind the break wall in Milwaukee. I see guys go out pretty far for salmon, and a bunch fish that Salmon-o-rama every year. Some people are out there a few miles. I’m not that brave/crazy

I see guys do it all the time when we're headed out. Biggest thing is be visible! You'd be surprised how easy it is to not see a kayaker. Put a hi-vis flag up, if you bring a net have that up too. Maybe just fish one rod to start as well. A king is going to take you and the kayak for a little ride for a minute so have a plan for it.

OP
WI in the west
Awesome thanks, its been a good 10 years since ive fished michigan, i gree up doing it woth my dad but once i could hunt we completely stopped. So im excoted to get back out and not have to deal woth people casting over your lines on the pier

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with above, visibility is important! Canoes/kayaks can be incredibly hard to see until you're on top of them.

Quite a few guys go out of the mke harbor though, should be some facebook groups if you wanted to join up with others.

Shraggs

WKR
4939336A-C348-4C9E-A538-93DF4736054C.jpeg

this will work better! 😊

On serious note, in around piers a kayak is effective casting. For prize fish, salmon steelhead etc, they move out deeper miles from shore and will be deeper. Or very deep. That’s the problem, you’ll need depth controlled trolling. Possible. I’ve considered it but would be very tiring to maintain 2.2-3+ mph speed. Maybe the pedal hobbiecat put I think I’d want the sail option and outriggers.

bobinmi

WKR
I wish I had the cajones for that. It looks like fun but my irrational fear of water that I can't see the bottom of means there is no way. Its gotta be a rush to tie into a 30lb king in a kayak.

boom

WKR
i feel like Bobinmi. this one lake, i cross a channel that is 190 feet deep. my hairs on my arms will stand up if i think about it hard enough.

having said, that i am getting better and better. while i have not gotten into the ocean around here (i'm looking at you MR SHARK)..the depths, waves and current dont freak me out as much as they used to.

i sat on one of my projects and watched ( i had my binos) a solo kayak WayTheF out there bobbing around in the pacific ocean.. a great lake must be similar, but no sharks. :)

rvanbw00

FNG
There are quite a few guys that troll with kayaks of out Michigan City, IN. Check out Youtube, as some of their setups can be elaborate, but super effective. One guy has an underwater camera that films strikes as well. Pretty interesting stuff.

Thing about deep water is, if it's over however tall you are, the depth really don't matter much anyways. 7 feet or 7000 is all the same to me.

dtrkyman

WKR
No experience on a Kayak but I have spent a lot of days on that "pond" It is no joke, storms hit quick and can put you in some serious trouble in a hurry!!!

A florescent colored Kayak and flags and all kinds of things so you can be seen, weekenders on boats have no clue and getting run over is an issue!

Be safe, wear flotation device at all time and have fun!