Kayak Suggestions/Help

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
My GF's birthday is coming up and she has been wanting a kayak, but I have no idea what to look for in a kayak. This would be used on the Yellowstone River (decent current) and small ponds/lakes. I would say her experience level is novice. Any suggestions on what features to look at? Length, sit on or sit in, hull shape, brands, additional features that make it easier/more comfortable??

I don't want to drop a crazy amount of money on one since it will be used a few times a summer, but also don't want one that will that will be trashed if she skids on some rocks or hits a tree stump or two.

Thanks!

Hoghead

WKR
Use for fishing or paddling around? Price limit? Hard to beat a Hobbie pro angler for fishing but not cheap.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Use for fishing or paddling around? Price limit? Hard to beat a Hobbie pro angler for fishing but not cheap.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Just paddling around. A group of her friends usually do trips down the river about 10 miles or so.
Not sure on price limit. Maybe around $400? If thats even an option. But would be willing to spend a bit more if its worth it

Wvroach

WKR
Its really hard to beat the Price to feature ratio of Ascend kayaks from Basspro/Cabelas
The 10t I have is nice for the lakes. I absolutely hate taking it on the river though. It is to big, doesn't track well and bottoms out on everything.
I bought my wife a ocean kayak Malibu 9.5 and when it's just me going I take hers.

Also had one of those $200 pelicans it lasted a few years before it got to beat up. Low swift river through the summer with large rocks...

LostArra

WKR
Keep in mind how the kayak will be transported. Pickup bed? Trailer? Roof top rack?
Roto molded kayaks are heavy. It can be like putting a long Yeti cooler on your roof but there are gadgets to help get it up there.

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
With a little extra googling it looks like I am looking for a 10' sit on with some storage.

Keep in mind how the kayak will be transported. Pickup bed? Trailer? Roof top rack?
Roto molded kayaks are heavy. It can be like putting a long Yeti cooler on your roof but there are gadgets to help get it up there.
It will be going on a Ford Explorer. The couple I am seeing are 50 lbs. That doesn't seem too hefty to me, but in reality is it?

LostArra

WKR
With a little extra googling it looks like I am looking for a 10' sit on with some storage.

It will be going on a Ford Explorer. The couple I am seeing are 50 lbs. That doesn't seem too hefty to me, but in reality is it?
50# isn't bad but they can be sort of cumbersome loading overhead by yourself. They make a roller thingy that attaches to suv hatch that makes things easier for one person. If two people are loading on an suv > no problem.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

My wife and I have two of the Ascend 10T kayaks from Cabelas. They are comfortable to sit in and great for fishing. I haven't used them in shallow, moving water so I'm not sure how they would do for that.

I put kayak racks on my wife's Ford Ranger so she could take them out without using my crew cab dually. They are pretty heavy for her to get up there but she can do it with the help of another person. I'm always worried she is going to slip and drop it down the side of her new truck....

Take a look at Crescent Kayaks. The Ultralite sounds like it would fit your needs here but a little over budget.
This. 100% sourced and made in this country. Plus, they make an awesome boat. I’ve had the angler for two years. It’s a no frills, sturdy, and very reliable ride. Designed for whitewater and lakes. They are more then your budget. By about 2.5 times. But, it’s a lifetime investment. And the comfort is worth in after a long day on the water.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a cresent ultralight last summer. With the raised seat it beats my cheaper sit on top comfort wise by a mile. Mine was right around 1,000$ but absolutely worth it. Not sure what exactly it weighs but it's manageable. Very well built and should last a long time.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Litetackle from Crescent. Great company and boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a lifetime tamarack, it’s a 10ft yak and works well enough…duck hunted out of it a bit last year as well as fish, ponds mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moserkr

WKR
Wife and I have the lifetime kayaks as well. Worked ok on the rivers, wife flipped in rapids, I ran em no problem, but not the yellowstone. Not sure how crazy that is. Bottoms thin and not for heavy abuse on rocks. Great on lakes for stability but average speed due to width. I take mine on the ocean fishing with no issues, 3-6 foot swells, little chop, and even did well in wind.

Dirtbag

WKR
Just paddling around. A group of her friends usually do trips down the river about 10 miles or so.
Not sure on price limit. Maybe around $400? If thats even an option. But would be willing to spend a bit more if its worth it
talk to her friends and see what they have and then buy the GF the next level up. She'll be elated.

rvalleyp

FNG
I would for sure go with a sit on vs a sit in. Look for one with a raised mesh seat much more comfortable, and your butt's not sitting in water all day long. I have a Jackson, I like It but it's heavy.

Rokbar

WKR
Check out the Vibe brand. I used to have a sit on Vibe Ghost I believe?? I forget the specs, but load rated for 500lb, sturdy, and sit on. Sit in will be better for swift/rapids. I sold it and bought a Hobie Outback pedal yak the beach fishing.. I would eve look into a used one.