Kayland Hunter USA - anybody have any experience with these?

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Manufacturer: Kayland
Model: Hunter USA

I don't know what MSRP is, but I can get these for $162 through promotive.com. I don't want to buy crap boots though so I was wondering if anyone happens to have any first hand experience. I've found a couple reviews online, but it helps to be able to talk to someone that's actually fielded them.

Thanks for any input!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I had the Kayland Vertigo Highs, which are pretty darn similar. eVent is awesome in boots. Those were my favorite boots until I got the Hanwag Mountain Lights.

OP
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I've used Kayland Rev Comp and Rev Duo before and they were great!

Aron- How much smaller is the list of gear you HAVEN'T tried than the list of gear you HAVE tried?!

...seriously though, is there anything you haven't tried?

Thanks for your input on the Kaylands!

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
I saw those on Promotive too and did a little research and found a review that indicated these boots were designed for hauling lighter loads like 30 pounds or less. But if the crunchies are using them in the military I would bet they're hauling way heavier packs than that. Sweet looking boots though.

I have the Kayland M11 for Ice climbing and general winter mountaineering. The boot has meet or exceeded my expectations. I am not gore-tex fan in boots; but I like the eVent in a winter boot. Kayland makes a good product.

OP
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a quick two-years-later update:

I bought a pair. I only wore them a couple months before going on a high country muley hunt. They had less than 50 miles on them. I realized during/after the hunt they didn't fit my feet quite right. I spent a week working back and forth through Promotive and Kayland (email, not a big deal) before I got in touch with Corinna at Kayland. I knew I purchased them with zero return policy, but I was just trying to see if I could get any cooperation. Corinna went above and beyond to get me in a boot one half size larger.

I wore those for over a year for everything besides a work boot: everyday wear and hiking/hunting. These boots are incredibly durable. There is a known issue with the rand peeling on top of the toe, which I experienced on the first pair, but not -yet- on the second. That being said, I'll have to disagree with the comment about them being made to carry light loads. They held the heaviest pack-in load I've ever carried with no issue. The problems I had were fit, not performance.

Anyway, I feel like maybe I should do a full review of sorts about this whole experience. I was thoroughly impressed and happy in my dealings with Kayland. I think these boots are incredibly well-built and durable. But, I just can't get my feet to "take" the boot. If you've tried boots over the years, you know that what works for some does not at all work for others.

Last edited:

Tiger Rag

WKR
I've had great luck over the years with 3 different pairs of Kayland boots. Good solid all around boot. Not the stiffest shank but certainly not flimsy at all. Love the eVent membrane, wish other manufacturers would switch over.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I bought Kayland Hunter USA boots last spring for my Elk Hunt in CO last fall. Very stiff and supportive boots. Fairly comfortable after one wearing and got better with each subsequent. I replaced the insole with Superfeet grey merino. I put well over 100 miles on them prior to my hunt, hiking in NE and just general wearing around the house and camp, so they were well broke in. I had no problems at all with them. They handled me and my heavy pack just fine on my 6.5 mile hike in to where we camped. I did well over 40 miles and 10,000 vertical climbed over the week. I did have the rind separation issue, but nothing a bit of super glue couldn’t take care of permanently. My only grip with these boots are the sole. I have a lot of experience with the Vibram Sierra sole; they are on a lot of military boots; and I don’t find them all that durable and are horrible in freezing temps. They don’t really hold up too well to tough rocky conditions; tore off two lugs during the hunt. They fit true to size in my opinion. They were fully waterproof, though I did give them a thorough Nikwax treatment after purchase and again before my hunt. Two reasons I tried these boots were the price on promotive and they were the only pair of these kind of boots that I could find with E-Vent vs Gore-tex; wanted the better breathability of E-Vent. Besides the soles I was super happy with these boots. Definitely great for areas with less sharp rocks, like we have here in NE, and above freezing temps.

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is an old post but does anyone have any experience with Kayland boots recently? I'm looking at some cross mountains or the plume micro and looking for input.
TIA

Last edited: