KDC Granite Peak Tripod - Head Decisions

Drenalin

WKR
I'm looking at picking up a KDC tripod, and needed to pick some brains. This would be strictly for binos, Leupold BX-4 10x42s right now. Looking at few options and could use some feedback.

First, I'm fairly certain with the hinge design of the BX-4s, I need to pick up the OBA from KDC. True or false?

Do I need the RRS shoe, foot, etc? My preference would be to keep it simple and put the OBA directly on the head, and then bino adapter on top of that. As long as I'm not switching between optics, I assume the RRS components wouldn't provide any advantage.

Speaking of adapters, I'm torn between the KDC Bino Tower and the Outdoorsman short bino adapter. Anyone with experience with both, which do you prefer? I'm not worried about the $20 difference in cost, and I suspect the weights are similar enough not to matter.

I've seen it suggested to add the Outdoorsman panner to the KDC head. For not a lot more money, I could just replace the KDC ball head with a Really Right Stuff BPC-16 panning micro ball head. Has anyone done this to confirm that it'll work? Fewer components is appealing, and I might even save a negligible amount of weight to go along with RRS' reputation.

Thanks in advance for the help. I realize the KDC isn't the most stable platform, but for use with binos only, I'm willing (I think) to take that trade off to save some space and weight. And I'm thinking that if the RRS head is the right answer here, I could switch it over to my chopped down Vortex SS-P tripod for more stability.

Edit to add: the RRS polymer cinch might be another option for me instead of either of the adapters. Thoughts?

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
I added that to my Amazon list this morning as an option. Do you use the center extension with yours? I was concerned it wouldn't be high enough for binos without that, and would be wobbly with it.

If you you know the weight of these legs with your RRS head, I'd love to know where it comes in.

tdhanses

WKR
I added that to my Amazon list this morning as an option. Do you use the center extension with yours? I was concerned it wouldn't be high enough for binos without that, and would be wobbly with it.

If you you know the weight of these legs with your RRS head, I'd love to know where it comes in.
No I don’t, it wouldn’t be very stable.

Been awhile but close to 1lb

ChrisAU

WKR

I also went from KDC to that Aoka for my lightweight setup. I use an Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip with it which adds a lot of height but I did find on my last elk hunt that it still wasn't quite tall enough for me if I was trying to glass ridges above me. I then got this to go with it, much better than the extension that comes with the Aoka as far as stability, it is much thicker:

Sled

WKR
I use the kramer adapter and it works fine but is not as solid of a connection to the bino as the outdoorsman. It is however lighter weight and still functional.