KDC Granite Peak Tripod...Thoughts?

Quick backround, I run 10x42 SCL's and Kowa 554 and promaster XC525 tripod. As far as I can see I wont be going to a larger spotter or binos in the near future, just dont seem necessary for the typical country I hunt. A few specific questions for those have used one:

- Am I hindering the viewing quality/comfort by running this tripod?
- Can this tripod take the place of the promaster for longer glassing sessions or is this a quick look type of set-up?
- How often is the additional weight needed to be added for stability?
- Can you put different heads on this tripod?
- I pretty much only use tripod while sitting, is the 42" model too tall?
- I may look at the gun adapters to make this a multiple use set-up, any feedback on them as far as keeping the rifle stable for sub 500yd shots ( I have not business shooting past that or even close to that really)

Thanks everyone

slatty

WKR
I have a slik 634 and the kdc. I always have the kdc in my pack along with my small nikon spotter. This is my base kit where I’m not usually needing or planning for a spotter. I love bino glassing with it. For a hunt where I know I’ll be glassing lots I leave the kdc bring something bigger. It’s not as stable not as robust as a proper tripod but it’s awesome for what it is. It sets up super fast.

OP
P
Thanks slatty, I don't own a 65 or 80mm spotter, do you see the same performance with the kDC and slik with your 50mm Nikon it is there still a noticeable difference?

tdhanses

WKR
I have the kdc and a slik 624, for what you have the kdc is perfect (I used leica 10x42 and Kowa 553 on it) but it will not be as solid of a setup like a heavier tripod. That said I have zero issue using it only for your options. Use the string and weigh it down better for stability with a full nalgene or rock. The reason to own a Kowa 55 series is to drop weight and part of that is not needing a 2lb+ tripod setup to hold a heavy ass spotter. I keep the kdc and Kowa in my pack all hunting season. Yes the kdc is not as stable as the heavier tripod but it is not bad at all.

For my slik 624 I use my larger Kowa 773 and also the 553 or Binos if not packing in. I only use the KDC when I’m hunting.

-No you are not hindered unless your super picky, then you better get a 6lb tripod.
-Yes it can and should take place of the promaster or any heavier tripod.
-Additional weight is only needed in heavy winds and you can use a large rock.
-In theory no you can’t put a different head on it but I added an Outdoorsman panner to it which makes a huge diff and I don’t mind the standard ball head now that I have the panner on it and use the outdoorsman qr plates. I have an outdoorsman head on my slik 624 so it’s nice to never have to change qr plates between tripods.
-Not sure on the 42”. I’m 5’10” and use the 33” but I use it sitting only as height adds instability but my Kowa is angled so you probably will want a taller version.
-Personally I wouldn’t shoot a gun off it, get a spartan javelin bipod for the gun As it is only 5 or 6oz, add the long legs if you like to shoot sitting.

Is it worth the price, yes.

Last edited:

slatty

WKR
Yes I do notice a difference between the kdc and the slik. I’ve never tried a head on the kdc though so it’s more a performance thing not being able to pan as effectively without a head. The stability with a 50mm scope is decent for sure. I have the 33” as well and only use it sitting.

ChrisAU

WKR
I have a KDC bipod with the 3L tripod conversion leg. Spotted the bull in my avatar with binos on it in tripod mode, a few seconds later shot him with the bipod attached to my rifle. Worked perfectly.

OP
P
Great, thanks for all the input guys, looks like I better give one a try, anyone want to sell one!?

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll start off by saying I’ve got the kdc tripod and bipod. However I primarily run a slik 634 and outdoorsman pan. I don’t take the tripod with me when I hunt - but do carry the 634 and pan. I carry a Kowa 554 and swaro el range 10x42. I actually find that my most effective game finding is the combo of 634/el range. For me, the ability to grid a section of glassing ground with the big pan and tripod is the best setup. The Kowa also sits on this setup when I need to get closer. Now, I also carry the KDC bipod and have now taken many animals using it as a rest - would never leave for a hunt without it. I don’t find the ability to glass at 40x with the kowa on the KDC tripod to work as well even with a water bottle counter balance. It’s all preference...

28bang

WKR
I have the KDC and just bought the outdoorsman compact. I found the kdc convenient but when you’re glassing a lot and far away it’s just not as stable as I need it to be. I’m running the 12x50 ELs and have the Kowa 554 spotter. My friend has the outdoorsman compact and could set it up faster then I could the kdc. It’s heavier but the stability worth it in my opinion.

28bang

WKR
I like the levers they have on the outdoorsman. Don’t have experience with the twist but in my mind I would think the levers would be quicker.