KDC tripod questions

Trial153

WKR
Couple of questions for those that have them.

1) Can I mount a small pan head( example a outdoorsmen micro pan head ) to the tripod, and is there a way to bypass the ball head or would I attach it right to the ball head.
2) Will a outdoorsmen adapter fit on the existing ball head?
3) how functional is the ball head for prolonged gassing with 10x and 12x glass?
4) what size tripod is needed for primarily seated glassing? I am 5 10.

Thanks in advance.
Jimmy

1. Yes you can mount a pan head. Outdoorsmans quick release panner is perfect. You will need a 1/4x20 to 3/8 adapter because the stud on the top of the ball is 1/4 and the mount on the panner is 3/8.
2. The bottom of the “adapter” has a 1/4 x 20 that can mount right to the top of the Kramer ball head stud.
3. The ball head works, but nothing like a real pan head or larger ball head. You have to re-adjust tension often (easy). An outdoorsmans quick release panner is a great option.
4. Get the tallest tripod. works best on uneven ground.

In my opinion the KDC tripod was a game changer for my 8x42s. I spotted way more stuff having the binos steady. I added a quick release panner too, great way to go. IMO, Kramer’s bino tower and pin system is superior (weight and top loads) to the outdoorsmans.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
1. Yes you can mount a pan head. Outdoorsmans quick release panner is perfect. You will need a 1/4x20 to 3/8 adapter because the stud on the top of the ball is 1/4 and the mount on the panner is 3/8.
2. The bottom of the “adapter” has a 1/4 x 20 that can mount right to the top of the Kramer ball head stud.
3. The ball head works, but nothing like a real pan head or larger ball head. You have to re-adjust tension often (easy). An outdoorsmans quick release panner is a great option.
4. Get the tallest tripod. works best on uneven ground.

In my opinion the KDC tripod was a game changer for my 8x42s. I spotted way more stuff having the binos steady. I added a quick release panner too, great way to go. IMO, Kramer’s bino tower and pin system is superior (weight and top loads) to the outdoorsmans.

Thank you, this helps a lot

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Thanks, I placed an order for a tripod. Going to try it with my micro pan head. I have a caribou trip in few weeks and I might bring this in place of one one my carbon fiber tripods to shave some weight if I like it.

Thanks, I placed an order for a tripod. Going to try it with my micro pan head. I have a caribou trip in few weeks and I might bring this in place of one one my carbon fiber tripods to shave some weight if I like it.

congrats
In my opinion the KDC tripod is a piece of gear I’ll never get rid of, even though I have another tripod. I plan on getting the wife a set of 8x32s soon, I’ll likely go with KDC bino tower and stud to work on the Granite Peak tripod for when I borrow her binoculars.

FlyGuy

WKR
I have both the full KDC system and a full OD system. Love them both, for completely different reasons. You’ll be impressed with the quality on the KDC. It’s perfect for occasional glassing, and can be used for extensive glassing sessions with binos or small scope.

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
I plan on using this with a pair of 10x SLCs on a caribou bowhunt. I am hoping that its functional enough to prolonged glassing because I tend to use a tripod a lot. However caribou hunting is one hunt that i will use it less than say a mule deer or cous deer hunt. I am also not bringing a spoting scope, so my thought is this a good hunt to give the KDC a try for 10 days. As an aside I am under the gun for the weight limit, sitting at right at 50 pounds right now. This should free up about a pound from the slik I was bringing.

tdhanses

WKR
The ball head that comes with it works pretty well, I added A quick release panner from Outdoorman since their qr plate is on all my optics, the panner really makes the ball head that much better. You don’t need to add a full head to it, I tried the pistol grip on mine and didn’t like it on the KDC.

I want to say my tripod with panner is 11oz total.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I plan on using this with a pair of 10x SLCs on a caribou bowhunt. I am hoping that its functional enough to prolonged glassing because I tend to use a tripod a lot. However caribou hunting is one hunt that i will use it less than say a mule deer or cous deer hunt. I am also not bringing a spoting scope, so my thought is this a good hunt to give the KDC a try for 10 days. As an aside I am under the gun for the weight limit, sitting at right at 50 pounds right now. This should free up about a pound from the slik I was bringing.

With that little panner add on you will find it just a it perfect for a weight limited caribou hunt. What people tend to do is forget the limitations they overcame, then compare a 1# system to a 6# system forgetting the $750 gear flight that would have come with the big tripod...keep things in perspective. It is 100x better than hand holding. Make sure you use a bag of rocks and the stabilizer cord contraption.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
I received the tripod in the thread adapter and put everything together. Took it out twice already to give it a dry run I'm not sure I like it, especially with the micro Panhead on top. I don't feel like I can get the ball head tight enough that It fixed down solid when I am using the pan head. The ball head is little to small for me if I was to that route and just run the binoculars, so I am hesitant to purchase the hardware needed to try run it without the pan head.
I am debating if bring this at all on this trip. I am back to shaving weight and adding my silk 624 back in.

fatrascal

WKR
I think the guy that created the KDC tripod system is a genius. But he made it a little too small. What I mean is that the tripod head does not tighten down tight enough. So digiscoping in my opinion is out of the question. The legs bow a little more than I like. I would like to see a tripod in the next bigger size.
For a minimalist this tripod will work and save weight. But for me, I need something a little more heavy duty. Or I need to learn to be a minimalist. Fatrascal.
20200531_171308.jpg20200510_142852.jpg

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
I played with this bit more today. Mounted both 10x SLC and 12x Els, the on a short outdoorsman mount, over top the micro pan head. I agree with the above post that the ball head needs to be bigger, or it needs away to be fixed in place without moving, maybe like a dummy mount that allows you mount a small pan head on top. However digressing, I found the 10x42 SLCs usable with the pan head, I had to be a little more conscientious of my adjustments when I was glassing to keep the ball head tight. However I think its workable at least for this trip. The pound an half it will save me off my next lightest tripod is must at this point. I am right at the 50 pound max weight, and I am not looking forward to having my pockets stuffed with 10 pounds of shit and every piece of clothing on me for the flight in.......so the KDC it getting the nod for this trip. I am going look like I have 10 pound of shit in five pound bag with all the stuff in my pockets and binoculars harness.

tdhanses

WKR
I received the tripod in the thread adapter and put everything together. Took it out twice already to give it a dry run I'm not sure I like it, especially with the micro Panhead on top. I don't feel like I can get the ball head tight enough that It fixed down solid when I am using the pan head. The ball head is little to small for me if I was to that route and just run the binoculars, so I am hesitant to purchase the hardware needed to try run it without the pan head.
I am debating if bring this at all on this trip. I am back to shaving weight and adding my silk 624 back in.

Put the Outdoorsman panner quick attach on it, makes it so much better.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Put the Outdoorsman panner quick attach on it, makes it so much better.
Are you saying to run the quick attach with pan head on top or use the ball head on the KDC with the quick attach in place of the panner?

My concern with the former is that it would sit to high and make it unstable.
My concern with the latter is small ball head seems like it would difficult to use for prolonged periods?

tdhanses

WKR
Are you saying to run the quick attach with pan head on top or use the ball head on the KDC with the quick attach in place of the panner?

My concern with the former is that it would sit to high and make it unstable.
My concern with the latter is small ball head seems like it would difficult to use for prolonged periods?

Nope, run it on the ball head alone, then you can lock the ball head down better. That ball head doesn’t like having the optic too far away and I had the same issue with my pistol grip head when I tried it, didn’t like it at all that way.

Leave the micro head at home, the item I linked will allow you to use your qr plates and keep everything low to the ball head yet still mount. Then you just use the ball to adjust elevation and lock it down, the panner will let you do the bulk of the work.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Nope, run it on the ball head alone, then you can lock the ball head down better. That ball head doesn’t like having the optic too far away and I had the same issue with my pistol grip head when I tried it, didn’t like it at all that way.

Leave the micro head at home, the item I linked will allow you to use your qr plates and keep everything low to the ball head yet still mount. Then you just use the ball to adjust elevation and lock it down, the panner will let you do the bulk of the work.
In for a penny in for pound. I ordered it.
Thank you

If you end up not liking the KD, check this option out. I couldn't deal with the play in the metal KD poles so I went back to carbon with this set up. Slightly less than 1 lb for the legs and ball head (I don't use the vertical center column extender) and it's plenty tall to glass in the seated position on a hillside. The ball head works okay but I will be replacing mine with a RRS BPC-16.

Attachments

• AOKA KOWA.jpg
    AOKA KOWA.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 29

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
You guys are not using the KDC system you are bastardizing it. Use the KDC balancer and bino tower with the KDC tripod and you will find it works much better. That’s like putting cotton long Johns under your Kuii/Sitka Gear. It’s not made to work with that stuff. And it’s not made for digiscoping, you really need to make your body part of the stabilizing system.

I addressed this earlier. This 1# unit is NOT going to do the same thing as a 6# setup.

tdhanses

WKR
You guys are not using the KDC system you are bastardizing it. Use the KDC balancer and bino tower with the KDC tripod and you will find it works much better. That’s like putting cotton long Johns under your Kuii/Sitka Gear. It’s not made to work with that stuff. And it’s not made for digiscoping, you really need to make your body part of the stabilizing system.

I addressed this earlier. This 1# unit is NOT going to do the same thing as a 6# setup.

Don’t knock it till you try it, how well does that balancer plate allow you to pan while the ball is locked in place?