Keep it Clean

do you guys ever wash your packs? or do they go in the spare bedroom or shed til next hunting season when you are done?

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Washed one once... Never again! Stays didn't fit right and the pack never did either!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll take it to the carwash at the end of the season, but my packs are cordura and don't hold the bad odor like some packs/fabrics.

slim9300

WKR
Yep. They always seem to wash up nice. I fill up my 165 quart cooler with the hose and pour in a few cups of unscented laundry detergent in there. Takes about 5 minutes to hand wash after soaking it for at least an hour, and another 5 to rinse out all the soap with a hose. Then I let it air dry in my laundry room for a few days. Works like a champ.

Last edited:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
My meat usually goes in bags, so the pack itself stays pretty clean. I do throw them in a big garbage bag for storage.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a general rule we don't wash them. Last season we had a Barney's pack bag pick up a bunch of dall sheep fat and man did that stink! I guess it's the lanolin or something, anyway not washing it was no longer an option at that point. I took it off the pack frame, and ran it thru the washing machine inside a mesh laundry bag twice. Line dried, and it was good as new. No shrinking whatsoever, and it went back on the frame without problems. Nice to know it can be done in a pinch!

ceetoo

FNG
Yup. Fill the tub up with warm water and no-stink detergent. Soak, scrub with a wash cloth, rinse and repeat.