Keeping charged

Mntbuck38

FNG
So I am planning a 10 day backpack hunt and in need of advice for charging options.
If using a Garmin InReach and my cellphone, what are good options to keep them charged?

FURMAN

WKR

I have tried solar panels. They don't work. They need near 100% sunlight to charge and that is rare while hunting. They weigh the same as a battery pack. I have had great luck with Anker.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG

I have tried solar panels. They don't work. They need near 100% sunlight to charge and that is rare while hunting. They weigh the same as a battery pack. I have had great luck with Anker.
Cool, I will check them out!

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider

This exactly.. I used the big Anker power pack for an 11 day trip.. My phone, Inreach and tent light.. And my partners phone.. Finally done the last day..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Backyard

WKR

I'm sure the Anker is a great option, but I've never had a problem with my Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar charger. I set it out in the morning when I leave camp, my charging stick is fully charged when I get back in the evening. 1 lb total.

jjh

FNG
Another vote for Anker products. I have had a 10000 mah Anker battery pack since 2013 and it is still going strong.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure the Anker is a great option, but I've never had a problem with my Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar charger. I set it out in the morning when I leave camp, my charging stick is fully charged when I get back in the evening. 1 lb total.
I used my Nomad one season in the Alberta Rockies and much prefer the "sure thing" of the power packs.. Solar is too unreliable..

When my phone is on, it's in airplane mode whether looking at OnX or linked to my InReach. Both are off 99% of the time. That helps too. I don't feel that need to know where I'm at "in the moment". But it's nice to know which direction camp is when you're ready to head back ;)

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
This exactly.. I used the big Anker power pack for an 11 day trip.. My phone, Inreach and tent light.. And my partners phone.. Finally done the last day..

Perfect! Bc I was considering a solar option.
Thank you

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
As I stated, Anker is great. You win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing to do with winning.. More to do with providing the OP with the most complete info I can.. Sorry you took it that way.. Cheers.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Perfect! Bc I was considering a solar option.
Thank you
This is the one I pack..
b6cd1d82d7c7321dec1b7dd814cd1ba3.jpg

tdot

WKR
I've stopped using the big bulky battery packs. Instead I use 2 extremely light systems that use replaceable batteries.

I take either the Nitecore F2 or

Combine them with your choice of batteries. I use a combo of 18650, 20700 and 21700.

At the weight of these systems, I can take both. I can change what I take depending on the trip. , I'll take the magnetic charger and a single 21700, 2.9ounces and enough capacity to charge every single electrical device I have. Ten day, it's less then 14 ounces and I'll have capacity to spare.

Total system weight is less then the larger battery packs from Anker (which I have a couple of) for the same level of storage capacity. Easily waterproofed in a tiny stuff sac.

Last edited:

rcdinaz

FNG
I've stopped using the big bulky battery packs. Instead I use 2 extremely light systems that use replaceable batteries.

Combine them with your choice of batteries. I use a combo of 18650, 20700 and 21700.

At the weight of these systems, I can take both. I can change what I take depending on the trip. , I'll take the magnetic charger and a single 21700, 2.9ounces and enough capacity to charge every single electrical device I have. Ten day, it's less then 14 ounces and I'll have capacity to spare.

Total system weight is less then the larger battery packs from Anker (which I have a couple of) for the same level of storage capacity. Easily waterproofed in a tiny stuff sac.

Great idea! Where are you buying the 21700 batteries individually. They can get pretty expensive.
Any issues with overcharging any of your devices?

tdot

WKR
Great idea! Where are you buying the 21700 batteries individually. They can get pretty expensive.
Any issues with overcharging any of your devices?

I bought them at IMRbatteries.com, $14 for 2.

No overcharge issues that I've seen.

Last edited:

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Anker makes great batteries for decent price. I use 20100mah for the last 5 yrs. I charge my inreach, garmin watch and phone for the whole 10 days off it. At night I watch 20-30min tv show on my phone to wind down and it has enough to charge them all. I do have a goal zero solar panel that I never needed so I leave it at home now to save weight. I don’t use my phone or inreach much during the day and my watch only charges once in the 10 days. It works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a dark energy pack. It is great. Honestly probably overbuilt and over priced. Unless you are really tough on gear, particularly electronics I wouldn’t pay up for the dark energy. Also, eventually it will give out and you don’t know when that will be. I would actually prefer to carry two smaller chargers than one big one.

If I were doing it again I would buy a couple of smaller anker chargers to have the same amount of power and get some redundancy.

Trial153

WKR
I use a combination of packs and solar, depending on where and how long I need. The goal zero solar kit i have used has been excellent, i am guessing i have about 90 days use on it. If you going to need more then 7 to 10 days a solar panal is good to have in the mix, it will weight less than extra battery pack for the same. For packs i have Anker, Dark energy and goal zero.
Discounting solar for long trip is silly.

Trial153

WKR

Good info here. I like the redundancy these units can add. Thank you!