Keeping feet dry

Savage99

WKR
Same problem for me. My feet sweat constantly unless wearing slides or flip flops. I use plenty of Leukotape and change my socks. Usually have a pair of socks strapped to my back pack drying out. I also pull my boots off to let my feet breathe anytime we are going to be stopped for awhile taking a break.

One tip. If you get a blister. Put a bandaid on it then apply the Leukotape over top. This gives a little padding and won't tear the skin off when removing the Leukotape.

Do you pre-tape known hot spots with just a tape layer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spray Antiperspirant., unscented of course. I use SURE brand. No scent at all.

This will literally plug your sweat glands. Your feet will be hotter, so experiment in different weather to see what conditions work for you.

Speaking of warmer feet, I do this on cold winter hunts to keep my feet both warm and dry. I also use antiperspirant on my pits and groin to maintain body heat. Works wonders.

In very hot weather I avoid antiperspirant. I want to sweat to help aid in cooling.

Last edited:

Backyard

WKR
For me it's night and day difference. And my feet get hotter than heck with just merino socks. The merino socks absorb the sweat, so that sweat is still right up against your skin. And being inside a boot, it has no way to dissipate. At least with the liner, it can wick the sweat to the next layer (the merino socks) for better comfort and less friction on your skin. If the poly socks are slick enough, the friction is between the merino sock and the poly sock.
This is exactly how it works. It isn't one or the other, you need to wear both at the same time in order to get a good result. And the results are dryer, non-blistered feet almost all the time given your boots fit and are laced properly. (that's a whole other thread)

My crispi summits came with this white insole that doesn't absorb moisture...…goes straight through it into the bottom of the boot. Feet, socks, and upper part of boot stays pretty dry even when underneath that insole is soaked. I started cutting some paper towel to fit under the insole and the majority of sweat is soaked up by it, and then easily changed to keep boot lining from becoming saturated. Has worked with other pairs of goretex boots (using that crispi insole in them) as well. I wish I could find that insole material, but in a more supportive insole. An old wool sock cut to fit under the insole would probably work well to.

With every other insole, my feet are wet (in goretex boots) in pretty short amount of time. I think instead of sweat running into the bottom of the boot, it is evaporated by foot heat and soaked into everything since it is basically trapped inside the gortex lining.

Trying out some non goretex leather boots now, seems to be the best for me. feet just get to hot in a waterproof boot.

Consider packing running shoes for the day hikes. I will likely never wear another pair of heavy leather boots again unless temps are always below freezing, or humping my camp every day while I'm hunting. It kind of irks me as I have 3 pair of Meindl and 1 Lowa that are no longer getting used. Basically, only use my Meindl hunter insulated for the really cold conditions.

I hear this all the time and it drives me crazy. It’s not that you’re wrong, it’s just that you’re drastically underestimating the amount of sweat we, of the sweaty feet camp, are dealing with!

If I go out on, say, a three or four day backpacking trip in 70 degree weather, my liner, sock, and entire boot is soaked within the first day or even half day. No poly liner can help an entire boot that’s as wet at the end of the day as if you took it off, dunked it in a stream, poured it out, and put it back on.

By morning, my boots are still more than damp. After an hour of hiking, they’re soaked again. This is one of my biggest outdoor hurdles! I’m constantly dealing with very wet and stinky boots.
This describes my feet exactly. I went on a run during my lunch break today and when I got back to the house my feet were so sweaty that the sweat was seeping through my running shoes

I attached a medical article from a highly trusted source called UpToDate. If you can sweat through a shoe or boot to the point that it looks dunked in a stream....there's not going to be many OTC products than can deal with that moisture.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• Primary focal hyperhidrosis - UpToDate.pdf
    363 KB · Views: 8

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I use waterproof breathable socks for the times when all my boots are wet.i just finished a caribou hunt in alaska and they were awesome,I was in water all day every day.ive had a couple different kinds and you have to make sure you're getting some that breathe ok.i haven't had any blisters since I started using leukotape and switching between merino and waterproof socks depending on weather.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I use waterproof breathable socks for the times when all my boots are wet.i just finished a caribou hunt in alaska and they were awesome,I was in water all day every day.ive had a couple different kinds and you have to make sure you're getting some that breathe ok.i haven't had any blisters since I started using leukotape and switching between merino and waterproof socks depending on weather.

Curious about these. You know the brand or have a link? Thanks.