Keeping feet warm while sleeping in tent

zacattack

WKR
No issue while moving, but when I stop and get in my tent and sleeping bag, then feet are freezing, just my feet. Any ‘mittens’ for your feet you carry for wearing while sleeping only when temps dip down LOW? Thanks in advance.

I’ll add in another vote for down booties

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
+7 for the nalgene trick. Feather and Friends makes a sick set of down booties

What’s your current set up? How tall are you? How long is the bag? What make, model, fill type, etc? Do you have a good sleeping pad? Is it long enough? Have you had this issue with other bags?

I ask because I’ve been there... but it seems like one of the things I mentioned was the culprit. Bag too long or big sounds great to lots of folks who like room to move around...but you have to heat that space which might be tough . I’ve seen down get shifted to where it’s not effective in the baffles. Stuff like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wool socks for me, heavier ones if below 35°f or so. Down booties would be nice. And I just realized after getting back from hunting this week and inverting my marmot bag that there is a Velcro pocket in the footbox for a heat packet/hot hands. If I'd only known...

Elker

FNG
Two things help me sleep warmer now. And maybe I'm just a sweaty sleeper, but 1) Every morning open up your bag and turn it inside out to dry. I also noticed my cot and pad were damp from condensation or sweat. so I prop up my mat to let them both dry as well. Makes a huge difference in cold weather camping. 2) Believe it or not, unzipping the bottom of the bag a little (my zips from both ends) to let moisture out. That and changing into fresh wool socks have made a huge difference.

rodney482

WKR
Boiling water trick works. Used it in my hydration bladder then placed in a waterproof stuff sack. Then water is ready for use in the AM

Maybe poor circulation is the reason for cold feet, in that case would adding more insulation keep them cold?

bignocks

FNG
aside from the booties if weight isnt an issue lining your sleeping bag with like a fleece sheet or a bag liner help eliminates cold spot. The sheet also help keep the bag clean.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No issue while moving, but when I stop and get in my tent and sleeping bag, then feet are freezing, just my feet. Any ‘mittens’ for your feet you carry for wearing while sleeping only when temps dip down LOW? Thanks in advance.

As with what others have said: Fresh dry socks. Preferably thick wool ones. Also, some down booties. Western mountaineering makes some really warm ones. - matt

kabarNC

FNG
Maybe poor circulation is the reason for cold feet, in that case would adding more insulation keep them cold?

This is why i can't do compression socks for sleeping. I go for the loosest thickest pair of socks possible, get some blood flowing to the feet, and I'm good for the night.

My problem with being 6'4" is staying centered on the sleeping pad. Anything hanging off will freeze shortly.

Jimss

WKR
Possibly air your feet before changing into dry socks and heading to bed so you aren't starting off with wet feet. I think some guys use foot powder. I often try to raise my feet above head level when done with a super long day of hiking. I wonder if heat packets could be put inside your socks and work similar to the hot Nalgene mentioned in above posts?

Stid2677

WKR
Make sure your feet are staying on an insulated pad, if your bag is too small and your feet are staying in contact with the bag the cold will transfer. I wear a pair of fleece socks for sleeping only, not too tight to restrict blood flow and for sleeping only. Theracare lower back heat wraps,, I can't tell you how well these work at keeping me warm at night and while glassing. They last 12 to 16 hours. I've placed them in the bottom near my feet when they are really chilled. I tried the heated bottle and had it leak once and almost could not get it open after over tightening it when hot.

Boil some water, put it in a bottle and toss it in the bottom of you bag. If you use a hard Nalgene bottle, it will stay hot almost all night.

Bulldawg

WKR
My feet sweat is my biggest problem, but wearing a beanie really helps, head stays warm body can pump more blood to extremities. Also I don’t like the thick socks, I pack in a pair of wool liner socks that stay in the bag and that’s all I wear them for. They keep my feet dry and will allow my feet to move freely in the bag without them sticking to the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, it's been already said multiple times.....do the hot water bottle.
Only real way to keep your feet warm. Been doing it for years......it's an old mountaineering trick.
Boil 32 ounces of water in a Nalgene bottle, put it in a sock and throw it in the bottom of your bag. Still be warm in the morning. And it's really nice to crawl into a warm sleeping bag .
I do it nightly.

Randy

Mike 338

WKR
I've used boiling water in a nalgene bottle stuffed into the bottom of the bag. Works good till about 3:00 am. Gotta think the down booties are the ticket.